1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Okay, my Droid Eris officially sucks now...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heyjoojoo, Aug 12, 2010.

1. heyjoojoo

heyjoojoo Well-Known Member

It can't seem to play a video smoothly without pausing. Slows my phone tremendously when videos are playing. Is there a specific format required or something?

OS 2.1
    Apps:
    Task Killer, Bible, Astro File Explorer, Applause, iHeartradio, Scanner Radio, Swype

2. NPH-

NPH- Well-Known Member

sounds like you may need to root

3. erisuser1

erisuser1 Android Expert

Sounds like you need to be using a WiFi connection instead of the Mobile Network.

Try it back and forth - playing the exact same video - and you will see that the stuttering comes from trying to run the feed across VZW's Mobile network

It isn't always that way - it depends not only on your signal quality, but also how heavily congested your cell is with traffic (both CDMA and EVDO, as they are mutually exclusive).

4. Hiroshika

Hiroshika Well-Known Member

Im not sure, but i think he may have been talking about like a .mp4 type of file that is saved locally on his phone.

5. gridbug

gridbug Well-Known Member

Before I rooted (from the leaked 2.1) the YouTube app was horrible. After root, it plays perfect AND in high quality.

Advantage: root. :D

6. xAusTiN

xAusTiN Well-Known Member

Remove that app and your phone will run a lot more smoothly.

You DO NOT need a task killer for any reason.

7. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=

Absolutely.

8. Such a bold statement. You got an article that explicitly says that with unequivocally irrefutable evidence?

9. Frisco

10. heyjoojoo

That's exactly it. So annoying. My LG Dare had no problems... :(

11. heyjoojoo

I've done a root before but didn't really see any improvements... I used the Root posting from this site. The instructions seemed very easy to follow.

12. Demache

Demache Android Expert

How large is the video resolution wise, and bit rate? The Eris has problems with videos over 320 x 480 (the phone's native screen size, it has to keep resizing every frame if they are too big), and you don't want the bit rate ridiculously high (2+ Mb/sec), since it can only read the memory card so fast. Besides at that low of a resolution, 1 Mb/sec is more than enough.

I watched Pink Floyd The Wall on my phone, with no problems when I didn't have root. :)

EDIT: Yeah I tested it, Pink Floyd The Wall is running at 464 x 208, at an average bit rate of 629 kbps. The CPU hovered around 50% usage with some 80% bursts, probably coming from a different app. I'm overclock to 710Mhz though.

13. Did you overclock afterwards? You can't go a whole lot higher, but you should get to about 700 or so easily.

I doubt it will improve video that much. It should play it fine stock, though.

14. Frisco

lol .. good to see you back, smacky. ;)

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews