• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Okay! Tired of waiting.

bloatedcow

Jul 20, 2010
Here's the deal:

I've read several ways of rooting, but there are certain words that I don't get such as: ROM, Goldcard, etc.

I'm a noob, not just a noob, but a very stupid noob. I found the one-click unrevoked rooting thing, and I want to try it.

I ask of you guys is to give me step-by-step instruction, that is so simple in words and in instructions, that even a 10 year old can understand it.

I've been jealous with the people that have Froyo on their Desires. I want to try it.

Questions:
1. Can I unroot it after I root it? (I can go back to the generic Desire)
2. Any precautionary measures that I should be aware of?
3. Does the hype in Rooting, really worth the time?

Note: I'm using a MacBook. I don't have any knowledge regarding computer stuffs, so please keep it simple.

Thank you so much to those who will reply, you've helped a helpless individual.

Here's the deal:

I've read several ways of rooting, but there are certain words that I don't get such as: ROM, Goldcard, etc.

I'm a noob, not just a noob, but a very stupid noob. I found the one-click unrevoked rooting thing, and I want to try it.

I ask of you guys is to give me step-by-step instruction, that is so simple in words and in instructions, that even a 10 year old can understand it.

I've been jealous with the people that have Froyo on their Desires. I want to try it.

Questions:
1. Can I unroot it after I root it? (I can go back to the generic Desire)
2. Any precautionary measures that I should be aware of?
3. Does the hype in Rooting, really worth the time?

Note: I'm using a MacBook. I don't have any knowledge regarding computer stuffs, so please keep it simple.

Thank you so much to those who will reply, you've helped a helpless individual.

The actual guide that is written here is probably as simple as it can be written.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-desire/124085-rooting-tool-one-click-program.html

You can unroot & go back to a generic rom.

It is worthwhile rooting as the custom roms are great.

There is a big but though if you are that much of a noob with pc's
then i would advise against rooting even using this tool, unrooting looks even more complex as well.

Upvote 0
Finally! I have Froyo! but is it just me or I can't really feel the Froyoness of the Desire?

What are the visible differences of Froyo from the Eclair?

Excited!

TBH, I find it difficult to see a great deal of user difference; it was speedy as hell before, any improvement in speediness is hard to identify. After a week of using AdamG/OpenDesire's Froyo/Sense rom [ROM-FroYo] Official Froyo HTC Sense ROM (16/07 v1.0c | OpenDesire Team) I was very happy: a very stable, faithful to the original ROM.
I have now moved to the Neophyte's 1.2 [ROM][23/07] ۵.NeoPhyTe ROM 1.2 Sense-FroYo - ( FRF91 l Fast l 720p | 2.06 | AP2SD )
but more to try something different, and because voice to text didnt work (for me) in AdamG's

Upvote 0
from what i have read,
yes to wipe factory reset when moving from one rom to different rom made by someone else.

but if you are just upgrading a existing rom then it should be ok not too, if it doesn't work just wipe factory reset and then reinstall the rom and then it should work.

Always good practice to wipe & clear cache when moving from one rom to another regardless, stops any potential conflicts between different roms & also bug fixes in roms.

Upvote 0
it means that you need an ext3 partition at the end of the sd card.

currently the sd card will be formated to fat32, you need to reduce the fat32 partition and create ext3 partition in the space you have created.

not tried doing it using the phone software i went for a way i already know.
i used gparted in ubuntu and it works really well for this sort off thing.

Upvote 0
it means that you need an ext3 partition at the end of the sd card.

currently the sd card will be formated to fat32, you need to reduce the fat32 partition and create ext3 partition in the space you have created.

not tried doing it using the phone software i went for a way i already know.
i used gparted in ubuntu and it works really well for this sort off thing.

Only thing with that is not all people use or are comfortable using linux on their pc's.

Upvote 0
You can partition your SD card without using your mac. Although firstly i advise copying all the contents of your SD card to your mac. Then if you open up ROM Manager on your desire scroll down to Partition SD Card choose 512mb press OK and cross your fingers. Then after copy all the contents back onto the card and it should be like before but now you can use APPS2SD+.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones