• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

okay...who has a virgin mobile branded phone without the sprint logo

Thanks for posting those pics.

Since you're one of the first to get a Virgin Mobile branded phone, we need you to please tear your phone apart and laboriously identify each and every component by vendor and part number so we can compare them to those in a "Sprint" branded version.

As long as you've got the thing torn apart, please check each of the chips so we can verify that the high quality firmware of the chips in the Sprint version haven't been replaced by low quality, environmentally damaging firmware created by child laborers working in dark, unsafe conditions.

I hear there may be some bad capacitors in the supply chain that could have potentially made it into these phones, so be careful!

That's funny right there! Still laughing. Even though I'm not activating until this weekend, the phone just feels like it has inferior parts when I hold it in my hand. Maybe there is a note inside from a worker asking for help?

Upvote 0
Usually when you return a phone, they tell you to keep the battery and if there is one, the back plate.
From my experience with an MT swap, they just send you a refurb phone in a box within a box and a return mailer for the old phone + postage due from adressee return label thing(i.e. VM pay it when they get the phone).

The "new" phone is just that, a phone(w/plastic screen protector) minus batt and minus back/batt cover wrapped in bubble wrap in a smaller plain white box.

I didn't end up swapping as my Anker 3500mah batt + back cover came today and the phone behaved itself this morning, so I took the chance to pop in the 3500 batt and charge it. I've had it out for a few hours now 3G/cell on and wifi on a few times(getting some batt monitor widgets and checking for app updates), placed a few calls, ran a few apps to use some 3G and well not too much else so far and it's down to 93% over about 4-5h.

I've been leaving 3g/cell on to see if that was why the phone was freaking last night and rebooting every few minutes... and because it'll also use up some extra power. Normally with my other phones I turned off/airplaned everything when sleeping it and not expecting calls, etc.

Upvote 0
Okay, I still haven't got the phone, but planning on it.

Should I get a Sprint-branded one now, with a better build quality but a higher chance of it being a lemon out of the box, or wait for the VM-branded phone that might feel cheaper but be less likely of having constant reboot/messaging/signal issues?

There are perfectly even pros and cons here, so I'm not sure how to approach this. :thinking:

Upvote 0
Okay, I still haven't got the phone, but planning on it.

Should I get a Sprint-branded one now, with a better build quality but a higher chance of it being a lemon out of the box, or wait for the VM-branded phone that might feel cheaper but be less likely of having constant reboot/messaging/signal issues?

There are perfectly even pros and cons here, so I'm not sure how to approach this. :thinking:

It really doesn't matter. They are the same phone just different branding.

Upvote 0
I'll be swapping my Evo @ BB later today and will report what I get on #2...
Ended up NOT swapping as mine started behaving itself(and still is) since after all the trouble constantly rebooting Tues. evening.

(Actually don't care about the VM branding any longer as (a) it's be nice to ONLY have HTC on the front, and (b) I'm using the Anker 3500mah batt + backcover now so I wouldn't have the VM one on anyways...)

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that you can show a picture of a product or service and give something different then what was shown....its like seeing a picture of a 5 star hotel room reservation and getting a roach infested motel room when you actually show up to check in..that is simply remarkable....showing a virgin mobile branded phone and giving us a sprint branded one instead...hmmmmm....with that kind of ethics im surprised. And people just accept that, well, hell with that formula the possibilities are endless...:ciao:

Upvote 0
I wasn't aware that you can show a picture of a product or service and give something different then what was shown....its like seeing a picture of a 5 star hotel room reservation and getting a roach infested motel room when you actually show up to check in..that is simply remarkable....showing a virgin mobile branded phone and giving us a sprint branded one instead...hmmmmm....with that kind of ethics im surprised. And people just accept that, well, hell with that formula the possibilities are endless...:ciao:

No it's like showing a picture of a five star hotel room with brown paint on the wall and getting the exact same room with white paint. It isn't a different room it just had different colored walls.

Upvote 0
"actual product may vary"
I bet you will find that somehere.

Upvote 0
I don't think they had any intention of having Sprint branded phones so really had no use for "product may vary". But seriously comparing this situation to seeing a 5 star hotel vs a roach infested one? How does that even form as an analogy in someones head? [Insert HappyGilmoreWeAreAllNowDumber.jpg here]

Upvote 0
I don't think they had any intention of having Sprint branded phones so really had no use for "product may vary". But seriously comparing this situation to seeing a 5 star hotel vs a roach infested one? How does that even form as an analogy in someones head? [Insert HappyGilmoreWeAreAllNowDumber.jpg here]

I've opened up my Sprint-branded Evo at least a couple of times and there were definitely no roaches inside. :laugh:

Upvote 0
Oh, I don't know...
Show a Sprint user your Virgin branded Evo V and say you pay $35, and you might hear "meh, it's prepaid junk"

Show a Sprint user your Sprint Evo 3d and tell them you are only paying $35 and I bet you hear something that more closely resembles "MUCK!". LOL

The pro move is to get the VM one and a blank replacement backplate and tell them your not paying a cent. Some real spy stuff.

Upvote 0
ok i was trying to read up on the evo for vm and ran across this thread. i am currently useing an intercept(piece of crap). anyway i have rooted my phone and purchased certain apps that require it. like set cpu, tasker, root explorer, and others. i really want a better phone. can the evo be rooted on vm? if so is it hard to do. i love 1 click root apps. lol! it was a pain to root the intercept till a smart guy made the intercept root apk file. ty to him again. if this phone can be rooted what mods are available for it? i want to be able to delet bloatware, overclock it, custom boot animations and then flash a custom rom maybe. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
ok i was trying to read up on the evo for vm and ran across this thread. i am currently useing an intercept(piece of crap). anyway i have rooted my phone and purchased certain apps that require it. like set cpu, tasker, root explorer, and others. i really want a better phone. can the evo be rooted on vm? if so is it hard to do. i love 1 click root apps. lol! it was a pain to root the intercept till a smart guy made the intercept root apk file. ty to him again. if this phone can be rooted what mods are available for it? i want to be able to delet bloatware, overclock it, custom boot animations and then flash a custom rom maybe. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Um, take a look at the all things root sub forum you might like what you find.

Upvote 0

^^^^ That's Billy Madison buddy, not Happy Gilmore lol

Upvote 0

Okay granted that was a poor analogy, however, all I want is a evo v phone that works good and that won't fluctuate with the signal, at this point it looks like there will be only sprint branded phones and I'm starting to agree maybe there is no difference between a sprint branded phone and a VM branded phone...It looks like I will be purchasing another evo v (first one was defective) from Best Buy...I just get anxiety over spending $300.00 for a piece of electronics..I just don't want to get stuck with a defective phone again....

Upvote 0

Definitely not a one-click root phone.

No overclocking until HTC releases source codes for the kernel...which they haven't done yet.

Upvote 0

They also show chrome accents around the earpiece on the box and mine are black, guess I should sue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones