• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Olbermann, O'Reilly and the death of real news

Huh?
Facts pless
My country has a state broadcaster that riddles the government E V E R Y B L O O D Y M I N U T E

UK is the same

Private media is probably more dangerous in developed countries as anyone can buy a few hundred thousand shares and have influence
Look at Italy!
Maybe Murdoch plans to do the same...

From what I have read in your posts, you believe that government should have a big role in just about every aspect of our lives. We want to be left alone. We want the government bound and restricted to only what is in our Constitution. Anything beyond that is an assault on our freedoms and liberties.

You also mistakenly assume that because we have many sources of news and opinions, that we somehow need a state run media outlet to set us all straight. BTW, he have a form of state run media, it's called NPR and it leans quite a bit to the left.

You think that more voices, opinions, debate is somehow dangerous instead of something that should be encouraged. That is what I mean about despising freedom and liberty. Being free has consequences. We all have to be responsible for our actions and there are no guarantees other than what it says in the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Nothing in there about guaranteeing happiness. That is what is meant by being free. Maybe I should not have made the statement I did regarding your interpretation of freedom and liberty, and I apologize for it. But an Irishman's interpretation of it and an American's are obviously very different.

Upvote 0
From what I have read in your posts, you believe that government should have a big role in just about every aspect of our lives. We want to be left alone. We want the government bound and restricted to only what is in our Constitution. Anything beyond that is an assault on our freedoms and liberties.

You also mistakenly assume that because we have many sources of news and opinions, that we somehow need a state run media outlet to set us all straight. BTW, he have a form of state run media, it's called NPR and it leans quite a bit to the left.

You think that more voices, opinions, debate is somehow dangerous instead of something that should be encouraged. That is what I mean about despising freedom and liberty. Being free has consequences. We all have to be responsible for our actions and there are no guarantees other than what it says in the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Nothing in there about guaranteeing happiness. That is what is meant by being free. Maybe I should not have made the statement I did regarding your interpretation of freedom and liberty, and I apologize for it. But an Irishman's interpretation of it and an American's are obviously very different.

funny you should say that because i've been hearing soundbytes for some time now of the irish lamenting selling out to the EU for a bailout.

i think people should remember that our ancestors left europe(and many other nations) and came here for a reason. if they(and now we) wanted a european system, they would never have left and we could always go back.

Upvote 0
To be clear, Olbermann, O'Reilly, Beck, and many of the other names/programs/personalities named are not newscasts or news anchors. O'Reilly and Beck don't call themselves news - they just claim to be opinion shows that provider their perspectives on news happenings. That's not the same as news reporting, and we should all know the difference better than we do right now.

I have no problem with the number of sources of news and opinion out there. I think it's healthy to allow open expression even to things that I don't agree with.

In addition, I don't think Koppel's comments are valuable because he does not not give enough credence to the fact that you actually don't get FNC or MSNBC or CNN unless you 1) pay for it via some subscription service, 2) seek it out online at your own direction, or 3) tune into when it's on. Simply put, they're easy to turn off. Koppel seems a bit bitter than these shows actually offer more value than many "news" broadcasts.

I'd love to see Mr. Koppel have that same discussion with a respected news reporter that isn't liberally-skewed. In fact, I wonder if he could.

And make no mistake, had Mr. Koppel been brought up under the Fox network and received his millions and fame from Fox, he'd be a Fox man just like O'Reilly and Beck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones