• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old dog, new tricks

2prevail

Android Enthusiast
May 29, 2012
This phone has been collecting dust in the corner of a draw for sometime now but after my galaxy started bugging out I went back to it for a couple days... That was last month. I never thought I'd say it again but i really like this phone. It may not be on kitkat or lollipop but ive tried my best to bridge the gap.

Changes..
Screenshot_2015-11-02-08-08-50.png
Screenshot_2015-11-02-08-09-09.png

Screenshot_2015-11-02-08-09-54.png
-Calculator, Calender, & Clock were all replaced with google apps instead for material design purposes then switched to system apps.
-Full system wide kitkat emoji support (just can't get them out of black and white )
- M Launcher ( the clone transparent status bar it can make on the homescreen brings that kitkat feel and the launcher is just fast af)
-No more volume button to wake (this was annoying for anyone who wanted a different lockscreen app but the phone would always wake from volume presses unlike on the stock locker.Now using go locker with no problems)
-No frills CPU (set the min to 594 mhz and kept the max at 1512 mhz)
- Auto Memory Manager set to aggresive & Seeder set to moderate (both apps are to help eliminate remaining lag the cpu tweaks couldn't)
-Cleaned up unused apps and moved other non critical apps to sd card (link2sd) that couldn't to save memory
- Power Toggles in the notification tray for quick access.
- Touchpal 2015 keyboard (google keyboard oddly won't load up my emojis in its emoji section but touchpal and swiftkey did fine without the need of their emoji plug ins so like i said, full support

All of this was done with the stock 4.1.2 rom that was previously released on here. Nothing special done to achieve any of this, just root and some time. The phone honestly never worked better, and with most stock apps replaced with newer counterparts as well as incorporating little functionality tweaks, i can use this phone on the daily with no regrets of going old school. May the force be with you
I'll post more screenshots at request but the ones above should give you a little taste too

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones