• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old fool buys used Galaxy. How message alerts?

Ragger

Lurker
Dec 31, 2012
This old fool has just bought a used phone. I think it is a Galaxy 2. Lovely phone.

It doesn't give a sound alert to tell me when a message or email arrives. Can someone tell me how to do that?

The person I got it from said I needed a gmail account and set it up for me but I can't remember why I need one. My email is with sky. What is my gmail for?

Thanks

Ragger

This old fool has just bought a used phone. I think it is a Galaxy 2. Lovely phone.

It doesn't give a sound alert to tell me when a message or email arrives. Can someone tell me how to do that?

The person I got it from said I needed a gmail account and set it up for me but I can't remember why I need one. My email is with sky. What is my gmail for?

Thanks

Ragger

Gmail is a necessity for android phones since without one you can't download apps from the android market, sync and backup stuff like contacts and calenders and other things. Try going to settings for your phone and look under sound settings and see if the volume for notifications is up. Also you can still keep your other email and download an app for it if they have one in the market but you will need a gmail account.

Upvote 0
First of all Ragger, welcome to Android Forums! It's great to have you here! We'll have you mastering your phone in no time :)

Second, you selected the Android Applications section to post your thread... and while that's a perfectly suitable place for it, the staff thought you would get faster help in the Android Lounge where there are generally more members to help you. I took the liberty of moving it there for you:

Android Lounge - Android Forums

If you have any questions about this action or Android in general, feel free to ask :)

Upvote 0
Below is not exactly true. We still can have an Android phone without internet connectivity. We still can use it as a mp3 player,camera,cam-corder,small game player,phone calls,texting. There are app stores where we can download apps and then we load them into our Android phones via USB cable etc.

Of cuz, if one need to have email feature then I guess internet connectivity is mandatory.

Gmail is a necessity for android phones since without one you can't download apps from the android market, sync and backup stuff like contacts and calenders and other things.

Upvote 0
Below is not exactly true. We still can have an Android phone without internet connectivity. We still can use it as a mp3 player,camera,cam-corder,small game player,phone calls,texting. There are app stores where we can download apps and then we load them into our Android phones via USB cable etc.

Of cuz, if one need to have email feature then I guess internet connectivity is mandatory.

The part in bold is a good way to get malicious software into your phone. I highly emphasize to anyone to refrain from downloading anything anywhere except from Google or Amazon Play Store, and official websites of the app developers themselves.

Upvote 0

For text message alerts, go to messages, settings, and right down the bottom, the very last item, is Notification Settings. Select your ring tone.

The other place to try is on the main screen. Go to settings (the list starts with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth etc). Part way down in Sound - set volumes there or use the Settings Pro app.

Pretty sure this is right, but I am a newby with Android myself, and I can't help with emails as I don't use them on the phone. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones