• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old guy with limited knowledge needs advice

I recently purchased a Google Android 4.0.4 7" tablet and I'm having trouble downloading any apps from the play store. Every time I try to download any app. I get an error message and nothing downloads. The error message says "Error retrieving information from server [RPC:S-5:AEC-0]" Has anyone also had this problem, or do you know what to do about it? I would really appreciate some help with this problem. I really like the tablet and I would hate to have to return it.

Hello and ni hao lsweeney20 welcome to Android Forums.

This sounds like some no-brand generic tablet that came from China. What I think has happened, it doesn't officially have Google Play. It was more than likely hacked-in by the unknown manufacturer, and was never tested properly for compatibility. Might be best to return it, and get a tablet from a brand you've actually heard of. I'd recommend the Google Nexus 7.

As you're new to Android devices, suggest you read the forum sticky about some of these things...
http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/631594-off-brand-phones-tablets-worth-low-cost.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones