• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Old official firmware upgrade files?

wmshub

May 5, 2010
Sorry if you see this twice, I got no answers from another Android forum and I'm desperate!

My moment is still on the original 1.5 firmware - CJ05 to be exact. When I try upgrading to the latest 2.1 firmware, DJ07, using the Samsung upgrade tool which was released in October 2010, I get the "e-big partition" error that halts the upgrade process and bricks the phone. Luckily the Odin tool can get the phone back to life, but it is still on 1.5 after recovering it.

I've seen a couple posts saying that this problem shows up when you try to go from a very old firmware release to the very latest. That's me all right. If that's right, then I should be OK if I first install some intermediate firmware releases. The problem is that I can't get the older firmware upgrade files from Samsung any more; they have been taken off the web site, and customer support was no help at all. Support just kept telling me that only by sending my phone in to their service center could I get it upgraded.

Does anybody here have a copy of any older Samsung firmware upgrade tools? Or of course any other way around the "e-big partition" error? I'm hoping that people downloaded it, unpacked it, installed it, then left the original .exe sitting around on their disk somewhere. Please take a look and let me know if you find it! I'd really like to upgrade my phone, there are some apps that would be great to have that won't work on Android 1.5.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I searched the web for "e-big partition", and saw a couple people saying that it was caused by skipping the original 2.1 firmware and going straight to the upgrade, but didn't see any mention of the Windows computer being the cause.

But still, it's worth a try. I'd really like to get up to 2.1.

Upvote 0
wow man. I couldn't imagine still having a moment with that old software on it. it would drive me crazy.

more to that, 2.1 is still behind on the times.
if you want to stick with "official releases" then sure, stick with Dj07 and call it even.
if you want a cool custom ROM, then step up to 2.2 a.k.a. EB28.

either way, the answer to your questions can be found here
How To Root Your Samsung Moment (2.2.2 Froyo)

the first couple of steps tell you how to get Dj07 on your phone. The links should all still be good. I personally used this walk through just a couple weeks ago with no problem.

you don't have to take it further than that if you don't want to. If you want to root your phone, then follow this walk through.

the end result will be a "stepping stone" version of EB28.
you'll need to go here
Moment - 2.2 Development

and pick a "full" Rom to use.
I recommend KeyLime but there seems to be some new stuff in the works/coming out that would be worth looking into.

Upvote 0
Thanks Ponch! THAT was what I was looking for. Amazing that the files are still on the Samsung web site, although there is no link to them and samsung support kept insisting that the files are no longer available.

Well I've transferred them to my thumb drive, and as soon as I get an hour alone with a Windows system at work (using Linux at home) I'll step through the updates and hopefully have a shiny new 2.1 version OS for my moment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones