• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Old PALM user needs assistance

CABGx3

Lurker
Mar 28, 2012
Hi All.....
I've been a Palm PDA user for years and have just recently read about the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. Very interesting........seems to do all my old PDA's would do (more or less), plus has the Wifi. Does anyone know if my old Palm PDA Calender data can be ported over to the SGP4.0? Complete Android NOOB here so any guidance would be appreciated.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi CABGx3! Yes you can migrate your data. I went through this recently after my TX crapped out. I actually looked into getting my TX fixed until I discovered the Galaxy Player.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I was a long time Palm user, since the original Palm Pilot in 1996, recently ending with a TX. I initially used the Palm Desktop 6.2 and used CompanionLink to sync when I first bought my Galaxy Player 5.0. CompanionLink was the only means I found to work with Palm Desktop They have a 14 day trial if you decide to try it. It's $50 if you like it. It requires DejaOffice to use on the SGP5. It worked well for me with no noticeable data loss. I sync my SGP5 to my Desktop and choose not to use the “cloud”. I played with it for quite a while experimenting with it to learn it's quirks before I did the first sync. It's a lot different than the Palm synchronization days. Without going into a lot of detail, I learned that Android OS has a lot of neat options including integrating gmail, there gCalendar, etc. if you want to, and syncs contacts to the web if set it up that way. I choose to sync PC to device, and it has worked well once I learned how to set everything up. DejaOffice web site is pretty good at teaching the basics, with lots of useful videos and step by step tutorials. I'd suggest checking it out on their web site and others before you decide.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]If you use Outlook, you have a lot more options. MyPhoneExplorer also works great. In fact I have since switched to it and do not use the Palm Desktop any longer. MyPhoneExplorer comes with it's own desktop. Very simple, but it has worked flawlessly for me since I switched. Tasks and Memos are integrated, but they don't read the Palm Desktop.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am a fairly new Android user, so check out all your options. There are plenty more to choose from that I have no experience with. These forums were a great help to me. Search the “Andoid Applications” sections under the “Andoid Discussion” heading for more info on how others have done the Palm thing. Several great threads with suggestions. I learned a lot just lurking around before I purchased and set up my SGP5. Lots of very helpful users here.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I am delighted with my choice. I would also suggest looking at the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0. Big brother to the SGP4.0 Larger screen and the microSD slot sold me (SGP4 doesn't have a place for a memory card). And it still fits in my pocket. I couldn't be happier. Plus, I've added a few apps you might like that make switching from Palm easier.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My first purchase was Graffiti Pro: (takes the place of keyboard and elegantly enables finger input EXACTLY as the Palm graffiti did. I can write as fast as most can type on a screen keyboard). You will embrace this app if you liked the Palm graffiti! This is my favorite app. Writing graffiti with my finger is incredibly easy and accurate. No need to pull out a stylus. I do have a confession; the “Swype” app that comes with the device has turned out to be extremely useful and accurate. I find myself using it 50% of the time now. You slide your finger over a keyboard and your words appear like magic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Organizer functionality was a high priority to me. As was the ability to sync with my PC. I feel I have surpassed Palm's usefulness because of other apps that have added productivity to my personal and business life.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My next favorite Android app is "ScanBizCard". If you deal with business cards as I do, you will find this very useful if your device supports it. I can shoot a picture of a card and import it into my contacts with great accuracy. This saves me countless hours of typing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]My mission in switching was to find a system that retained my Palm's usefulness. I feel I've done that and then some. I'm only a little over a month into my Android device, so once again, I'm a novice user. I evaluated the many apps, hovered in many forums and very carefully migrated my data.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I would highly recommend the SGP if you decide to switch.[/FONT]

Upvote 0
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi CABGx3! Yes you can migrate your data. I went through this recently after my TX crapped out. I actually looked into getting my TX fixed until I discovered the Galaxy Player.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I was a long time Palm user, since the original Palm Pilot in 1996, recently ending with a TX. I initially used the Palm Desktop 6.2 and used CompanionLink to sync when I first bought my Galaxy Player 5.0. CompanionLink was the only means I found to work with Palm Desktop They have a 14 day trial if you decide to try it. It's $50 if you like it. It requires DejaOffice to use on the SGP5. It worked well for me with no noticeable data loss. I sync my SGP5 to my Desktop and choose not to use the

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones