1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Old Person Rant

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Goodspike, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Okay, I'm over 50 and I have a question. At what point did they quit teaching people to walk on a roadway facing traffic and to not park in front of someone's mailbox. People born after 1984 don't seem to know either of those two things, but I'd like to pin down a specific date! ;) :D

Member243850 likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

What's a "mailbox"?

Member243850 likes this.
  3. MrGlowy

MrGlowy Android Enthusiast

I think it's that one thing the older people have for their mail. I'm not sure

mikedt and Member243850 like this.
  4. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Newbie

I want to know when people stopped riding bicycles with the flow of traffic. Last night I saw a woman cross 2 lanes of traffic popped in front of me and almost got t-boned by the car next to me.

5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I Really want to know at what point that . . . ah hell what was I saying?

JohnnytheK and Member243850 like this.
  6. Codegerm

Codegerm Android Expert

What age do you get to when you just stop looking before backing up your car?

7. saptech

saptech Android Expert

He meant inbox... :p

And stop callling me Pops!

8. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

My all time favorite is when they print a news website (like NY Times) onto some dead trees and then throw the printout onto your wet lawn hours before you wake up.

I understand how doing this helps people who have birdcages. But other than that...

Member243850 likes this.
  9. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

From my observations, 18...

10. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

May 14, 1984 Mark Zuckerberg was born; Civilization began its slow collapse, then 20 years later in 2004 there was a sudden acceleration with the birth of Facebook. Young folks are so busy checking their status that manners, rules, basic guidelines for courteous living and even location awareness have fallen to the wayside. It's amazing how many Millenials miss their bus or train stop because they are so busy checking out that site.

shawn1224, mikedt and JohnnytheK like this.
  11. Gmash

Gmash Extreme Android User

About a year before they forget which pedal does what and they drive into a building.

12. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Geez, if you don't have a mailbox at any age, how do you get all the flyers and spam that makes up the bulk of UPS business?

Some vendors ship via USPS. If the item is small enough to fit into the mailbox, I prefer it.

Too hard to forget which pedal is which. The left foot uses the clutch.

13. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

It's funny you mention that.

Just yesterday I was driving through an upper end neighborhood and a few of the places had both their mailboxes and newspaper holders in nice brick enclosures, with usually two or three neighbors joining together with one brick enclosure.

My initial thought when I saw that was that those newspaper enclosures look really out of place and soon are going to be totally unnecessary. It then occurred to me that the same will someday be true of the mailboxes. But those brick enclosures will still be standing, sort of like the areas above fireplaces designed for 4:3 ratio TVs. The difference is, it will be easier to remove those brick enclosures.

14. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Snowplows takes out one of those brick mailbox tombstones (that's what they look like to me) every year around here.

The house I grew up in had a mail slot in the front door. The first house I owned had a mailbox on the wall outside the front door. The house I live in has a mailbox at the curb. All new construction in our area must use one of those communal mailbox birdhouses.

[​IMG]

We're reverting back to the days when you had to pick up your own mail at the post office.

15. huh

huh Android Expert

I was born before 1984 and I was always taught to walk. run.. ride a bike etc...with the flow of traffic not facing traffic we have small bike lanes or paths here by the side of the road with traffic signs that tell you which way to go to follow the bike path and everyone rides with the flow of traffic...not on the opposite side...pretty sure it's a law..or a road rule or whatever:rolleyes:
    I don't park in front of mailboxes though...or fire hydrants:):)

16. Member243850

Member243850 Guest

Hmmm hrrmmm herp the derp derp... this thread has given me some great ideas!

[​IMG]

17. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

Crazy. For walking that's a good way to end up dead because if something is sticking out or the car is just over too far, you won't see it/them.

18. Member243850

Member243850 Guest

Do not shoot - I come in peace!

[​IMG]

HAHAHA

xD

19. huh

huh Android Expert

I agree..it never made sense to me either! That's why I know that that's the rule! crazzy...
    wait! it's a rule if you are on a bike..you ride to the right..with traffic...walking you face opposite direction...!

20. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I just heard that a fellow old geezer, Bruce Willis, is going to be a father again... :dontknow:

21. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Yep, that's how it works in my vehicle...I think... :hmmmm:

:rofl:

22. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Newbie

Hear about that woman that walked off a pier while checking Facebook? I rest your case.

23. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

Most of these kids today don't know what a clutch is in America everything is automatic now :(

Member243850 and JohnnytheK like this.
  24. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Newbie

Here's an old one for you, remember three on the column?

argedion likes this.
  25. Goodspike

Goodspike Android Expert

I remember those, and push button automatics.

argedion likes this.