1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Old version ok to use?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by andMego, Sep 16, 2017.

1. andMego

andMego Android Enthusiast

Aug 9, 2015
    The Duolingo app was very laggy so I uninstalled it and installed a version from ten months ago from apkmirror. Is there an reason to switch back to the current version on the play store? The app is (for now) working great with barely any lags and it doesn't bother me anymore about Duolingo premium.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    I think, depends on what else it was updated for, like if the old version had a security vulnerability. Also as Duolingo is an on-line app and depends on their servers, they could if they wanted force you to update if you wish to keep using their service.

svim likes this.
  3. andMego

Aug 9, 2015
    The changelog is a bunch of bs (just like all the Google apps so I can't blame them). What kind of vulnerabilities could it have? It's not like I'm giving it any of my information.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Please consider sending a message to the developer explaining your problem. This might be something they're just now being made aware is an issue so more input they receive could make things easier to fix in a new update.

5. andMego

Aug 9, 2015
    With every version the app gets laggier. It's a big corporation, all they care about is profit, which they continue getting anyway. If you go on their forums you see tons of complaints about the app being laggy, yet it never ever gets better. I've sent them multiple messages about it being really bad.

6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Your Duolingo account username and password? Could be personal data if making a new account. They may not even admit any security problems in their changelog, because to do so might shake customer confidence in this "big corporation", and give hackers a possible target.

Some apps have been updated because prior versions had problems with secure encryption, or just weren't encrypting at all. Also as I stated Duolingo could actually force you to update, like if they changed their protocol or version checked the client app.

#6 mikedt, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  7. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Ahh, OK then. Is their a particular reason why you continue using this app even though you dislike so many aspects about it? There are other language tutoring apps to choose from.
    And by the way, Duolingo isn't much of a 'big corporation' at all, being an education-based organization it does however live off some pretty healthy donations from those 'big corporations'. This allows them to give their product, including there apps and the service behind, away free of charge too. Also for what you've painted as a below-grade product with a forum full of complaints, the download count for the app is past 5 million and that's just a Play Store numbers, there's the Apple Store and Amazon App store that's not included.