• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG I love my Desire Thread

I have to say I can't understand the people that say they "hate" the iPhone, there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. The user interface is the easiest to use, the app store is amazing. It is probably the most complete package on the marked. But it is expensive and now the resolution is lagging behind.

But for me the Android platform seem to be the right choice. I find it to be a better match for a linux and os x user as myself who on top is a java dev, so I don't have to learn objective c to be able to make stuff. :)

Upvote 0
Lol patronising is a perfect word to describe apple! The best thing apple are good at is clever marketing.
I have to work with Apple fanboys. They believe so much in the Apple franchise that anything that isnt made by Apple is shit. I showed them my HTC Desire.. "its a wannabe iPhone" apparently! "Nowhere near as good as their iPhones!" lol...Apple can turn grown men into deluded little school kids:D

Upvote 0
Lol patronising is a perfect word to describe apple! The best thing apple are good at is clever marketing.
I have to work with Apple fanboys. They believe so much in the Apple franchise that anything that isnt made by Apple is shit. I showed them my HTC Desire.. "its a wannabe iPhone" apparently! "Nowhere near as good as their iPhones!" lol...Apple can turn grown men into deluded little school kids:D

I know how you feel. You kinda want to bash their heads in for not even trying to take their Apple glasses off for one minute, and realize that they've been ****ed in the ass by huge moneygrabbing corporation. actually ****ed in the ass by them so many times, that they now can't judge computers and gadgets objectively anymore.

So now I've stopped trying to explain so much, and just go:
"oh, you've got an iPhone....good for youuuuuuu."

Upvote 0

Apples success is to take the geek out of products, and produce something more user friendly than the competition. Steve Jobs was all about that in his time with NeXTStep as well. That the iPod and then the iPhone caught on as a fashion statements is a credit to that.

As a mac user, I understand the fuzz. I've been using computers since the Vic 20 was the home computer of choice. (well, you uk guys was probably all over the spectrum at that time), and the best OS of all time in my eyes are OS X. Not only good technical as Linux is, but with a great user interface and great application support. So consider me a OS X fan, but I still have a soft spot for Linux and FreeBSD, but gnome and kde is still a far way from the OS X gui.

Upvote 0
I have to say I can't understand the people that say they "hate" the iPhone, there is absolutly nothing wrong with it. The user interface is the easiest to use, the app store is amazing. It is probably the most complete package on the marked. But it is expensive and now the resolution is lagging behind.

But for me the Android platform seem to be the right choice. I find it to be a better match for a linux and os x user as myself who on top is a java dev, so I don't have to learn objective c to be able to make stuff. :)

I don't hate it in any sense of the word.

I'm just incredibly bored of it. Bored of the home screens that do nothing, bored of never being able to find apps that interest me (not that android will necessarily help me there, I just think there's only so much you can do on a phone), bored of waiting for things to load.

Mainly just bored that you can't customise anything.

Upvote 0
Apples success is to take the geek out of products, and produce something more user friendly than the competition. Steve Jobs was all about that in his time with NeXTStep as well. That the iPod and then the iPhone caught on as a fashion statements is a credit to that.

As a mac user, I understand the fuzz. I've been using computers since the Vic 20 was the home computer of choice. (well, you uk guys was probably all over the spectrum at that time), and the best OS of all time in my eyes are OS X. Not only good technical as Linux is, but with a great user interface and great application support. So consider me a OS X fan, but I still have a soft spot for Linux and FreeBSD, but gnome and kde is still a far way from the OS X gui.

I use OSX every day at work in a print design company and its great, i couldnt do my work without it. However i dont have a mac at home because im not prepared to pay

Upvote 0
Mainly just bored that you can't customise anything.

That is one of the reasons that I chose Android too. I like the knowledge that if I get annoyed by something in the software, it can either be fixed or replaced. And as a developer, I feel I can contribute more to the android platform than I would to the iPhone platform that seem to have no end to the number of apps. Only downside is that afaik I can't charge for apps through the android app store because of my nationallity But I assume that get fixed in the future, and by that time I've made enough apps to be able to do something worth paying for. :)

Upvote 0
just got my deisre and love it - just restoring my iphone 3gs back to stock ready for ebay/sale... i really didnt think id b saying that but this desire has blown me away -im sure apple will bring something decent out in june/july but at the moment desire is the way to go..........How chuffin fast ???????? ;-)

Upvote 0

The iphone is a 'noobs' phone. Easiest to use UI but the most restricted and linear. No multitasking. No customisation, No Flash, No push email, crap camera. The phone is a fashion statement. Nothing more. The good things about the iphone are the app store and this is only because people pay for the apps on iphone hence an incentive for the bigger developers to make better apps, and the size of the hdd which obiviously allows you to install loads of apps. Android playing catch up there.

The other day some guy at work was raving on about how he could record programs at home on sky + by setting it up on his iphone app. let him waffle on for 10 minutes in fanboy frenzy til I pointed out I was doing the same aboit 2 years ago on my Nokia N95.

Upvote 0
The iphone is a 'noobs' phone. Easiest to use UI but the most restricted and linear. No multitasking. No customisation, No Flash, No push email, crap camera. The phone is a fashion statement. Nothing more. The good things about the iphone are the app store and this is only because people pay for the apps on iphone hence an incentive for the bigger developers to make better apps, and the size of the hdd which obiviously allows you to install loads of apps. Android playing catch up there.

The other day some guy at work was raving on about how he could record programs at home on sky + by setting it up on his iphone app. let him waffle on for 10 minutes in fanboy frenzy til I pointed out I was doing the same aboit 2 years ago on my Nokia N95.

I was doing this about FOUR years ago with my Nokia 6680 - which I still have and intend to keep. it was also the first phone I had that ran Tom Tom ( with external GPS Receiver ) and it worked brilliantly.

I too have a MacBook Pro, it's my fourth Mac, and I just find them far easier to use, and the one I have now is the first I have bought new, have usually bought the others used, which have all been good, steady relaible work horses. Yes, they are more expensive, but I for one am happy to pay for something that I know will last me, in terms of hardware and upgradable software.

Upvote 0
It's a shame people don't compare apples to apples.

When you compare the mac pro (workstation) to a cheaply build consumer desktop of course the cheaply build one is the one being the cheapest.

If you however compare the mac pro to a similar workstation (xeon processor based one), you'll see the price is in the same ballpark. (hard to match display cards, so a 1:1 comparison isn't easy).

Same goes for iMacs, if you manage to find a similar computer you'll find either lower specs or a price that is either slightly higher or slightly lower.

And for the macbook pro's you'll easily find cheaper laptops with older chipsets and lesser build quality. I have two pc laptops, one older acer travelmate that costed twice what my macbook pro costed new, and one new acer timeline 4810tz that I bought to fix up and keep at the univ so I can pedal there to get some exercise. The timeline can somehow be compared to the 13 inch macbook in price. It's 2/3rds of the price here of the baseline macbook pro, still it has a dualcore pentium processor, ddr2 ram instead of ddr3, a lesser quality display (still led backlit though) and the difference in build quality alone shows it's in different leauges.

So yes, macs are expensive computers. But they are expensive for a reason. The current models are well engineered, well built with modern components (beside in the end of the models lifespan) and without crapware to keep down the price. My next computer will also be a Mac, but what others choose I'm not that concerned about.

I've used cheap and I've used expensive PCs and still find the macbook pro to be well worth its price. And as a added bonus OS X is in my eyes far superior to windows. Linux is however my second choice.

I can build a computer that would out perform and be just as reliable as any apple. My computer would eat any apple mac for performance because its overclocked and uses aftermarket cooling. Also it is completely reliable and safe. There is not a single apple mac that runs at 4ghz+ with the latest graphics cards. If you go on the apple website and choose to add a graphics card you will find that they are overcharged and outdated cards. Even more rediculous is what they charge for memory upgrades!

Apple isnt even that reliable! I use a 24" iMac at work that suffers from screen burn all the time due to its design causing it too overheat which is a known problem.

Upvote 0
I can build a computer that would out perform and be just as reliable as any apple. My computer would eat any apple mac for performance because its overclocked and uses aftermarket cooling. Also it is completely reliable and safe. There is not a single apple mac that runs at 4ghz+ with the latest graphics cards. If you go on the apple website and choose to add a graphics card you will find that they are overcharged and outdated cards. Even more rediculous is what they charge for memory upgrades!

Apple isnt even that reliable! I use a 24" iMac at work that suffers from screen burn all the time due to its design causing it too overheat which is a known problem.

and thats why you posted this in a desire thread :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones