• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

On FedEx vehicle for delivery

willdogs

Android Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009
:p

Hi All

I am currently awaiting my Eris delivery, any minute now. Luckily the delivery landed on my day off from work so i'll have some time to tinker with it and learn it.

It's my very first smartphone, i'm coming from an Env2 and got the Eris for $49.99 under the NE2 plan.

Any tips for when I first get it? As soon as I open it?

Should I fully charge it before anything? Or just jump right in and start playing?

Thanks all and I am sure this is my first thread of many. I'm liking it here already :cool:

Well I know when the FedEx guy came last Friday...I played with it while connected to the puter. Now I am not as smart as a lot of people in this forum, but I shut off the Bluetooth cuz I don't use it. (Don't leave the house much in bad weather) Went to the marketplace and played with the apps. I got the spareparts app. Lets you change some settings on the phone. Seems to make it faster. Also got ringdroid app so I can make ringtones from music on my puter. And some wallpaper apps. This phone rocks! Surfing the web, and texting to my hubby. Oh it works real good as a phone too! Who would have thought!!

Upvote 0
Thanks All!

No Worries caddyman, i've been reading threads, searching, etc for the past couple of days here. Lots of good info!

I also ordered the verizon screen protectors and the Shell/Holster Combo so I can protect this to the fullest right out of the box. I have a habbit of dropping my phones which wasnt an issue with my Env2, but with such a huge screen on these smartphones I am a bit nervous :)

326738809_o.jpg

Upvote 0
I have had mine for about a week. Luckily, my wife was home when it got delivered and she plugged it in for me until I got home from work for hours later. It was fully charged.

This was my first smartphone too, I disciplined myself over the past couple years for economical reasons, now I'm having fun! I got the phone on thursday, and didn't put it down until Saturday. The market is awesome, the wifi setups are easy if you use them at home and work. I couldn't be happier with the choice to go with the lower end Droid, especially when 2.0 comes out next quarter.

Upvote 0
I have had mine for about a week. Luckily, my wife was home when it got delivered and she plugged it in for me until I got home from work for hours later. It was fully charged.

This was my first smartphone too, I disciplined myself over the past couple years for economical reasons, now I'm having fun! I got the phone on thursday, and didn't put it down until Saturday. The market is awesome, the wifi setups are easy if you use them at home and work. I couldn't be happier with the choice to go with the lower end Droid, especially when 2.0 comes out next quarter.

Yep, I held out on a smart phone for econmic reasons as well. Also because I am not one of those "jump the bandwagon" type of people especially when it comes to technology. I was just fine with my dumb phone and my work blackberry (which I dont consider a smart phone since I basically use it just for work email)

Now that the smartphone tech is is pretty solid (not completely as I know there will always be bugs) I decided to jump in. :D

Upvote 0
One word of caution: you battery life may not be what you want it to be at first. Just give it a few days. Make sure you charge it full and let it run all the way down for a few days. My battery life has about doubled from doing this. Seems like the phone needs to calibrate the battery to get max life.

Upvote 0
Thanks All!

No Worries caddyman, i've been reading threads, searching, etc for the past couple of days here. Lots of good info!

I also ordered the verizon screen protectors and the Shell/Holster Combo so I can protect this to the fullest right out of the box. I have a habbit of dropping my phones which wasnt an issue with my Env2, but with such a huge screen on these smartphones I am a bit nervous :)

326738809_o.jpg

Is there a link to this holster/cover combo? Mine is on the FedEx truck as well now :) I typically don't put protectors on my phones. I had an iPhone for about 2-months. Bought it used, already had protector on it. It added way too much bulk. How much bulk does this add?

edit: nvm, found link, still wondering about bulk.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=11676&page=1

Upvote 0
Is there a link to this holster/cover combo? Mine is on the FedEx truck as well now :) I typically don't put protectors on my phones. I had an iPhone for about 2-months. Bought it used, already had protector on it. It added way too much bulk. How much bulk does this add?

edit: nvm, found link, still wondering about bulk.
Enter your location

I'm curious about the bulk too and will find out shortly. Although some reviews i read said its not bad at all and any little bulk is worth saving the phone for me.

Upvote 0
On a side note I was pleasantly surprised that I received a work discount on my data plan as well. I get 19% off through my job so the data plan is only $23.99/mo on top of 25% off accessories and 19% off the voice plan :)

Grats! Ours is 17% off the plans and 25% off accessories. Another motivation for me to switch from ATT ( among many others :D ).

Man, my phone might get stuck in the winter mess :eek: Appears to be shipping from Maryland.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I finally put the Eris down so I can actually accomplish things in life LOL

Anyway, i'm LOVING IT. Just so much to do and configure and download. Feeling a bit overwhelmed.

After playing so much I did notice that all of the apps I open and back out of stay running in the background. Too bad the apps themselves don't have a "close" or "End" button when I am donw with them.

I ended up downloading Advanced Task Killer and have to run it every now and then. Only way that I can close the running processes in the background.

I'm used to the Ipod touch that I have. When you hi the home button, the app just closes.

With the Eris, it starts to get bogged down a bit with all of them running.

Oh well.

Unless im missing something.

Upvote 0
That's exactly right. I'm hoping this will be fixed via an update but who knows. I use ATK for now.

On a side note I was pleasantly surprised that I received a work discount on my data plan as well. I get 19% off through my job so the data plan is only $23.99/mo on top of 25% off accessories and 19% off the voice plan :)
Same with me. Can't beat it.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I finally put the Eris down so I can actually accomplish things in life LOL

Anyway, i'm LOVING IT. Just so much to do and configure and download. Feeling a bit overwhelmed.

After playing so much I did notice that all of the apps I open and back out of stay running in the background. Too bad the apps themselves don't have a "close" or "End" button when I am donw with them.

I ended up downloading Advanced Task Killer and have to run it every now and then. Only way that I can close the running processes in the background.

I'm used to the Ipod touch that I have. When you hi the home button, the app just closes.

With the Eris, it starts to get bogged down a bit with all of them running.

Oh well.

Unless im missing something.

Saw a Youtube of a guy demoing apps on his Eris. It was a bit laggy, still fully functional, but I thought that was odd. Then he had a pop-up on the video that said he had 38 apps running...so, all things considered, not bad for the mighty eris.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones