1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support On going issue with Reception GSM unlocked on ATT

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by aimetti, Dec 8, 2011.

1. aimetti

aimetti Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    At this point I have posted on XDA and a few other places. No one has any clue or reason why this is occurring. Perhaps someone on here can shed some light on this awfully annoying issue.

First off I love the galaxy nexus. I came from iphones the last 3 years and I believe this phone has everything I want in a phone. That being said , its about to be returned for good as I can no longer stand my reception issue.

Basic run down of issue :

Signal drops to almost unusable levels , the only way to get it back is either reboot the phone or toggle airplane mode. After that the signal returns to a solid 89-93 DBM. After roughly 30-60min it will then drop and I have to toggle it again. All other phones in my location have no problem including my iphone 4s with the exact same sim card.

I am in a decent location for signal. On the nexus reboot its at -89 dbm , my iphone 4s is at -87. The iphone stays that way and the galaxy nexus over time drops to -105 to -111.

Fixes attempted:

Setting APNS for 4g on ATT
    getting correct 4g data plan on account
    New Sim cards
    Replacement Galaxy Nexus
    Different Roms
    Stock Restore Rom
    restore to default and install nothing
    different radios
    update to 4.0.1
    disabling wifi in house
    turning off wifi on phone
    event went as far as to turning off my wireless surround sound for possible interference.

If anyone else has any ideas at all , im willing to try anything. At this point I am completely lost. Losing hope on my first android device.

Advertisement

2. mrvirginia

mrvirginia Android Expert
    None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    this is quite odd. i didn't change anything on either of the two i've had and there have been no issues here. i'm not sure what to tell you mate. looks like you've done some extensive trouble shooting. with 3 bars inside a building on the bottom floor which is partially underground, i'm sitting at 91 dBm.

3. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011
    ya man,

I could understand if I had bad reception all the time but its perfectly fine for a bit then drops off.

The only thing I can think of is theres something wrong with my ATT account. Heck ive tried a whole new phone. I called ATT many times and they see nothing at all that could cause this. And having them troubleshoot a phone they dont support is kind of impossible.

4. likebutta

likebutta Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    Umm, maybe you got a bad phone? Try exchanging?

5. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011
    already tried that lol.

this is my 2nd one already. Doubt its the phone at this point.

Does anyone know if the ATT data plan or throttling of any kind can cause this type of issue? I cam from an iphone plan that was switched to 4g hsdpa +

6. SunRiser

SunRiser Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    That's not good.

I just bought mine last night, should have it by Friday. I am also coming from an iPhone. Do I need to change plans then? I was told that I can keep my unlimited plan for the iPhone on my Galaxy Nexus by a corporate rep. Also, can I buy a micro SIM adapter at an actual store or only online? Or will AT&T give me a new SIM card for free?

7. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011

You can keep your unlimited plan.

You need to tell them to change your plan to the Smartphone data plan for HSDPA+ 4G

For me it hasnt mattered. I tried the iphone data plan , 4g hsdpa plan , they even had me on the 4g LTE plan by accident. All 3 didnt work

I tried a normal 4g sim , im also using my iphone microsim with an adapter right now and that also messes up. I got no clue lol.

SunRiser likes this.
  8. SunRiser

SunRiser Newbie
    None

Nov 9, 2011
    Bay Area
    Oh dear. Ok, thanks. I hope you get something firgured out. Maybe it's a bad network tower?

9. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011
    I thought that too,
    but i cant explain why my iphone 4s is perfectly fine if i put sim in it. at -87 dbm signal strength and dl speed at 4.5 down 1.0 up (which is good for my home)

Also , my wifes phone which is also a 4s is fine.
    My brother came over and has an atrix and he had 3 bars and no signal issues for hours on end.

I am stumped

10. mrvirginia

None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    the sim i'm using, and plan, were carried over from my international SGS2. when i first got my account for that phone, i told them i had an Infuse (or maybe it was Inspire). this got me set up fine. it sounds like they've already tried different 4G plans though as well as the two different sims. i'm pretty stumped here also. it's extremely unlikely that two different phones would have the same exact issue. the percentage rate for that is something ridiculous so i don't think it's the phone. i hope someone can help you figure it out mate. i'd be rather frustrated.

11. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Android Expert
    None

Jan 3, 2010
    Male
    Jr. I.T. Support Tech @ Amazon
    Plainfield, Indiana
    Have you tried getting a new sim card? That is very strange indeed and sorry to hear you are going through that.

I was having some issues with dropped calls until I flashed the new build. Is your build ITL41F?

12. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011

yea i flashed to the stock google rom again and ran the OTA update

same thing

also tried new sim cards already. The only other than that is at all possible is if ATT is flagging the device or cutting service. Other than that I think I have already covered everything. I dont even know if thats possible though.

13. ItalianScallion

ItalianScallion Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    South Florida
    Be extremely careful with microsim adapters if you're switching from an iPhone. They can snag on the plated contacts in the phone's sim tray. I believe my adapter is caught on the contacts in my GN - if I try to remove the adapter, one or more contacts may either deform or break. I've never had this problem before, and I've used a microsim adapter in a boatload of phones.

Word to the wise - I'd just get a new HSPA+ sim from AT&T and avoid the microsim adapter solution altogether.

SunRiser likes this.
  14. aimetti

None

Oct 8, 2011
    If i can get this phone working properly I will definitely end up getting a regular sim. I had it jam on me once and had to be gentile and put sim back in and pull it out.

15. mrvirginia

None

May 13, 2010
    video editor
    Charlotte, NC
    the only trouble i had with my signal, btw, was when i updated to the new official build. a reboot got it back, though.

16. Doubleatheman

Doubleatheman Member
    None

Oct 25, 2011
    Well you already got a new sim card...

I was having issues with 3G being slow and inconsistent until I had my sim card swapped and my data plan swapped today.

I was using my iphone 4 micro sim, with a sim adapter, and DataPro 2gb for iphone.

Now I am on a regular new sim & "DataPro 2GB for Smartphone 4G LTE" plan.

All of today my data was consistent on my phone, no random dropouts half way through loading a page.

Random tid bit: In a known dead spot (brick building) my phone fell back to GPRS today, something my iPhone never did. Normally I have service, but no data in the building, but somehow now I get a data signal?? Why would my old sim keep me off GPRS? I was stumped, so I rebooted my Gnex a few times, and each time it happily connected to the GPRS signal.

I spend most of my time in 4G HSPA+ coverage, but this brick building tends to kill all things digital....But now Im rockin the Good ol GPRS, slow as hell, but better than nothing.

17. jbarrack

jbarrack Newbie
    None

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi all ... This is a strange problem. Like many of you guys on here I also switched from an iPhone directly to this on AT&T. I never updated my plan or anything crazy. Just use the sim adaptor and away I went. So far I have great service. In fact, in the last 3 weeks I haven't dropped one call. I averaged about 1-2 dropped calls a night. Don't know if there is a correlation but I've been very pleased with the results so far ... Good luck with your issues man.

Tags: