• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help On or Off

Wolvie66

Nov 11, 2010
Ok here is my problem! I like to know from the forum here, do you leave your phone on 24/7 even while charging it. I heard from verizon that leaving phone on 24/7 will hurt your phone. Then I heard from another verizon person that turning it off and on everyday will hurt your phone.

So can I get some help on this from the GREAT people on this GREAT forum.

Thanks

Agree with all of the above... I reboot mine once in a while but never leave it off for any period of time. It's a freakin' cell phone. It's supposed to receive calls. How can it receive calls if it's off?

It's good to reboot it once in a while. It won't hurt to turn it off and on every day, but it's probably not necessary either. I reboot about once a week.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the information. I was going to leave it in all day and night. Anyway if you buy the home dock and use it every night don't the phone stay on all night and all day if you leave it in there!

Thanks for all your answers, once again GREAT forum and GREAT people on here.

Upvote 0
Agree with all of the above... I reboot mine once in a while but never leave it off for any period of time. It's a freakin' cell phone. It's supposed to receive calls. How can it receive calls if it's off?

It's good to reboot it once in a while. It won't hurt to turn it off and on every day, but it's probably not necessary either. I reboot about once a week.
and ours always reboot because we flash roms constantly:D

Upvote 0
The Manual and the "tips and tricks" section in the Droid X both say to turn phone off once a day, leave it off for one minute, and turn it back on. It says:

"Your phone has capabilities that make it almost as powerful as a computer, so like a computer, for optimal performance, give it a fresh start by rebooting it once a day. Turn it off for one minute, then restart it. Rebooting it refreshes your phone software and your connection to the nearest cell tower. It can also help extend your battery life."

I've done this since I read it about a month ago, and my phone seems to be faster and have longer battery life. I also don't get any freezes or other little problems that I used to. It's up to you though. If your not having any issues, I wouldn't worry about turning it off.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones