1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General On the fence Evo3d or new iPhone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ufatbasted, Jul 16, 2011.

1. ufatbasted

ufatbasted Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I have had my Evo 3d for 3 weeks now and this phone is a HUGE step up from my PalmPre. I really like this phone.

But I have an iPad and lots of apps for it and a Mac laptop.

I'm close to returning my Evo and buying an iPhone when it comes to Sprint. Not having to buy new apps is a huge deal breaker for me

I guess the only way I'd keep the Evo is if I can sell it when/if the iPhone does come to Sprint. Is there a market for used Sprint Phones like the 3D??
    What range could a phone like this sell for in a month or two?

Advertisement

2. outkast25

outkast25 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 5, 2011
    Get the IphonE! I have a ip4. Its smaller, lighter, and battery is awesome compared to my evo and evo 3d. Not to mention all the other kick ass things about it.

3. Rico college

Rico college Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Bay Area California
    IPhone really?

Weaker processor, smaller screen, no 4g and no user exchange battery. Yeah you go enjoy that.

4. Doomstang

Doomstang Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 19, 2010
    Student at Mizzou
    Missouri
    Well, I hope you like less customization... and don't forget to hold it properly.

Anyway...I'm sure it would hold a pretty high value. The old Evo's still have a solid resale price and they are over a year old.

5. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    You are asking this question on an android user forum... I guess you know some of the responses you are going to get :)

Anyway, nobody can accurately predict the market for the phones in the future. Currently, the 3D is going for about 325-400 (for a new in box - unused) on craigslist. (I bought mine for 360). I would assume that a lightly used (no scratches, no issues) 3D would go for about the same.

Do evaluate the cost of "expensive" apps you have on the iOS. I am assuming that you are not going to be concerned with the cheap apps like angry birds etc - note that several apps will have free (ad-supported) versions available on Android. After that, determine if the price difference is significant enough to downgrade to an i<device> (Disclosure: yes, I prefer Android devices - compared to the i devices, for a variety of reasons, so "I" consider a move to an iDevice to be a downgrade) :)

I am not listing my reasons because I really don't want this to become an iOS VS android thread :)

6. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2010
    What apps do you have that you can't get on the 3VO?

A lot of the apps for android are free that you have to pay for with apple so you may be able to get most of you apps that you have to the Ipad for free on the 3VO.

There is still no guarantee that the Iphone will come to sprint and if it does it may not be the latest it maybe just the 4 with a white cover in which the 3VO handily kicks its ass in just about ever facet.

7. treven21

treven21 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    Troll much?

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Hey.

Let's all keep out shirts on, mmmk?

Everybody's mileage varies even when we all use the same model phone. That's just the deal with smartphones.

When someone makes the perfect phone, we'll all buy it. But that day hasn't happened yet.

What I know is that we're consumers and the main consumer deal is it's us against the makers. I therefore see no need for any name calling or disrespect between ourselves.

And our rules don't allow it.

So long as users voice choices for both types, they compete and make better stuff and then we all win.

So, let's stay cool about it.

That said, I've used both and think Android is better because of the flexibility and HTC is tops on Android plus more features right out of the box.

But, your mileage may vary. ;)

Vanquished, novox77 and RiverOfIce like this.
  9. RiverOfIce

None

Mar 30, 2010
    In exile
    Honestly, if you can even seriously consider the iphone over android, then get the iphone. Android will not serve you well.

What the iphone does, it does very well, and if you can live within that very small box, then there is really no question what you should do. Get what is going to be best for you.

As for me, I could never, ever live in that box. IF there is a program that does not work with android, a few hours of java, and you can make it.

But honestly, if the iphone is on that list, then get the iphone. Understand that it probably will not be until mid next year or late next year that the iphone lands on sprint.

To subsidize the iphone, it will cost verizon 5 billion dollars the first year, straight out of the pocket. Best case for sprint 1 billion out of pocket, worst case 5 billion the first year out of pocket, with zero help from apple.

Sprint does not have 1 to 5 billion laying around. Sprint does not have 1 million laying around. So until sprint cant not only get apple to give it to sprint and they are going to have to cough up 1 to 5 billion in the first year, for just 1 phone. So dont hold your breath.

EarlyMon likes this.
  10. outkast25

None

Jan 5, 2011
    he said new iphone.Not the current one.

11. outkast25

None

Jan 5, 2011
    dont know what that means.

12. outkast25

None

Jan 5, 2011
    The processor runs fast and smooth, no lag. Not as fast at my 3vo. But like the man said he is interested in a "new iphone" which will have an upgraded processor from the ip4. The screen is small but is produces higher quality images and video than my evo and 3vo. I personally don't give a rats @$$ about 4g at the moment because my state doesn't have it, yet. Exchangeable battery is need for a evo because its run time is ridiculously horrible. My iphone 4 last all day with heavy usage, plus is charges up fast, unlike my 3vo that takes a very long time to charge up. There are things I do like about android to though.

EarlyMon and ufatbasted like this.
  13. eric3316

eric3316 Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2010
    NC
    How come apple can produce a super battery but no one else can.

I guess if your battery lasts all day without a problem on heavy usage, why would you need it to be swappable?

I would take a much more powerful, non swappable battery that can last all day over a terrible swappable battery.

Unfortunately I would never buy an iPhone so I am stuck with terrible battery life :(

14. ufatbasted

ufatbasted Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks for the helpful answers.

No I'm not a troll. I asked a legitimate question about the re-sale value of the EVO3d. Where can one cannot ask about re-sale of a android phone but on a android forum? I also stated when and IF the new iPhone comes to Sprint. I'm not even sure I woud want the new iPhone but I might.

My better half thinks you cannot sell a Sprint phone once activated. Hence my question.

Like I stated in my original post I really like this phone. If I return it and I do not like the new iPhone when and if it comes to sprint, I would have to re-purchased the EVO3d(plus go back to the PalmPre for a couple months UGH). Hence my question. If I keep it and decide to sell when the time comes later this year what is the re-sale value?

For those who answered that question. Thanks again.

EarlyMon likes this.
  15. apinkel

apinkel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    Yes, you can sell sprint phones. Buyers will be able to activate it on sprint as long as the ESN is clean (i.e. sprint didn't ban your device due to you defaulting on your account).

Based on market values of the Evo 4G a couple months after release I'm guessing you would be able to sell the E3D for around $300+ in a few months. The evo 4G held pretty steady around that price point up until the E3D was released (it's dropped to around $200 now).

If you include iphone and android in the same post people are going to accuse you of trolling. That's just the nature of the beast since people tend to love or hate each platform. If you want to avoid that post your questions on the iphone in an iphone forum and the android questions here.

ufatbasted likes this.
  16. acipollo

acipollo Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2009
    New York
    Lol. I have an iPhone for Verizon. The better is no better than my 3VOs. I am a heavy user though.

17. dan330

dan330 Android Expert

Jan 22, 2010
    look on craigslist.org and ebay... used sprint phones can be sold. i do it all the time.
    if it is less than 1 yr old from release.. you should be able to get your initial (with contract) investment back.

1 yr old OG EVO ($200) can be sold back to Best Buy for $150. so you should be able to get more selling directly to public.

I dont see the iphone coming to sprint anytime this year.
    so.. i think you are just looking in the wrong direction.
    You need to think about jumping ship now! and not sign a new 2 yr contract with sprint.

EarlyMon likes this.
  18. ufatbasted

ufatbasted Newbie
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks.That's just the answer I was looking for.
    I'm locked into Sprint as my wife gets a pretty good discount.
    I'm leaning towards keeping the 3d and selling if/when iphone comes to sprint

I would only switch if the new iPhone blows away the competition.

19. RoboMonkey

RoboMonkey Android Expert
    None

May 12, 2010

Apple doesn't make superior batteries, its all in the OS.

EarlyMon likes this.
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    +1

And the processor running at about 800 MHz because iOS's cooperative multitasking is amenable to that while still giving apps snappy/smooth performance, as opposed to Android's preemptive multitasking (making live widgets and live wallpapers possible). You get a phone sucking juice at an 800 MHZ rate, tops, when if you're inside any one app, it acts like a stock Android running at a higher clock speed.

Knock out the intensive Sense, run something lean like CM7, then config carefully - you're likely to get great battery life, like an iPhone.

And +1 on how much the phone is used. I know a lot of people with iP3s and iP4s - their battery life is all over the map, based on who uses what how.

My wife's stock Evo Shift (800 MHz, no extra-fancy widgets, simple config) - I'll stand that up to any iPhone's battery life. With Gingerbread, she got two full days of normal use and had 25% of her battery left.

21. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    all I hear from my wife is how crappy her battery life is on her iphone. She barely uses it. And when I ultimately am asked to resolve her battery woes, I go online to some iPhone forum and find tons of people complaining about battery life.

So... when I hear people say Android battery life sucks and iPhone battery life is heavenly, I say, stop towing the party line.

The reality is both camps suffer from very similar issues, battery life included. It really is about how you use the device. And yes, there are people who own iPhones who put their phones through more stress than some Android users.

22. treven21

treven21 Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 9, 2011
    I'm not sure about Iphone4 but when I owned a 3GS the battery was horrid. My EVO 3D is amazing.

CarrieK and EarlyMon like this.
  23. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    I like Apple's build quality, but I'd never consider buying anything from them solely because the their current litigation strategy. I understand that there are lots of lawsuits in the tech industry, but it seems like Apple is doing everything they can to eliminate the competition by completely banning other products from the US market like HTC phones.

http://androidforums.com/android-lounge/375892-google-android-danger-htc-banned-us.html

As others have said though, if you like the devices and it becomes available, go for whatever fits your needs.

EarlyMon likes this.
  24. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    I'm not sure litigation behavior would influence my decision much, however, in that thread you referenced, EarlyMon posted some interesting charts. I thought it was notable that if you take a hard look through the spaghetti of lawsuits, there are some companies in there that rarely sue anyone. Perhaps they are the real innovators?

EarlyMon likes this.
  25. M5Rahul

M5Rahul Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 30, 2010
    DFW TX
    I'm sorry but if her iP4's battery life is that bad, especially wth light usage, something is wrong with that iPhone's battery!

How is the signal strength where the phone is mostly used ?

IPhone 4's battery life is amazing! It's as good, if not better, than my Nokia E-71 who's battery I consider the king of all batteries :p

Anyway, I used the iP4 hard throughout the day, from txts to calls to tethering
    (JB'en and running myWi) and, at the end of a 10- 12 hr work day, still had
    around 18-20% juice left.

A few of my friends also have the iPhone 4 and battery life is the least of their concerns!

I would make a 'Genius' :rolleyes: ( hate that ******ed genius part) bar
    appointment and have them run a battery diag. test!!

Tags: