• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

On the older unlimited plan but constantly being throttled?

Jeff123

Mar 28, 2011
I signed up for Verizon's unlimited data plan in June, before they switched it to where you can be throttled at any time. When I read articles on the plan changes in late August, the articles said that those already on an unlimited plan wouldn't be affected by the new plan changes because those users were grandfathered in.

However, over the last month and a half I have noticed huge changes in my data service and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this same issue too.

At completely random times I get throttled for a few minutes at a time, and the extent of the throttling varies. Sometimes my speeds are only partially slowed down, but other times it's so bad that regular basic websites take more than a full minute to load.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, and I have a single user account. Most importantly, I usually use less than the 22 GB monthly limit, and last month for instance I only used 16 GBs. I get throttled about once a day, and it happens in both urban areas and rural areas.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones