• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

On the verge of buying the One X...

Chelloveck

Lurker
May 4, 2012
I have waited patiently for 2 weeks until the SIII announcement, and now I feel the One X is the superior phone. I'll be upgrading from the HTC desire which I have had for a full 2 years (served me well).

So, I noticed this deal pop up in the last 2 days. It seems really good for my needs:

100 minutes
Unlimited texts
750mb data
Free phone

Thank you guys. I have read some of the negative reviews online for the company...but I am wondering what is the worst that could happen?

This is as simple as mobile phone contracts get.

I wouldn't go for it if there was any cash back by redemption. I can handle my phone arriving late as this is such a good deal.

Perhaps...if there was a fault with the phone might I have a world of pain returning it and getting a new one?

Upvote 0
yes that would be the issue if it was faulty 1st/several time round in the 1st 6 months (then HTC take over). I had to get mine swapped out within 48 hours with Orange, and they sent a courier round on sunday evening to do a swap.

So the price i paid to have a slightly "premium" service? starting to be worth it i guess...

your choice dude, naturally i'd say yes, but there are dangers...

maybe mention the deal direct with TMobile sales and see what they come back with?

also if your leaving 3, speak to their retentions team to see if they can do you a deal :)

Reactions: Chelloveck
Upvote 0
Q: you were through to retentions and not upgrades right? to be honest? request your PAC code, which is what i did with the orange cancellations team.

basically say you'd like to request your PAC code, they ask why, you say you can get a better deal elsewhere and the current deals offered from 3 aren't that great. mention what your looking for, price per month and what you expect as part of the bundle. be sure to have figures at hand to mention TCO over the 18/24month contracts you've seen/expect, and if they dont budge, get the ball rolling and request your PAC and move off dude.

Orange at the end kinda gave way in offering me a

Upvote 0
If I remember correctly e2save are owned by CarPhoneWarehouse.

I had a phone from them a few years ago (SE K750i) with redemption discounts and they paid the cashback. They are bone fide, but I never had any need to deal with faulty returns, etc., so can't comment on that aspect of the company. But I got a good deal out of them.

I don't see why 3 won't offer you a better deal if you quoted that e2save deal to their retentions department. Did you tell them about the deal you had seen? Did you ask for your PAC? that way they know you are serious about leaving... I would just phone 3 up and ask for your PAC, then they will begin toadying around you to stop you leaving.

Upvote 0
Hello again. Just called 3 to ask for my PAC code and to cancel my contract. I quoted the deal again from e2save, and remarkably, they did not offer an alternative deal.

Instead they said that "according to my information T-mobile is not offering the One X contract at 31 per month. Have you checked the terms and conditions? How is it possible that they are offering it for less?"

I said: "...I have no idea. All I know is that this is a legitimate 3rd party comapany offering me a deal considerably better than the packages you have offered me, and there are no hidden extra charges"

There was a pause...and then I weas just givben the PAC code details. I think they knew they couldnly offer anywhere near as good a deal so just gave up without even offering a last minute deal!

----

At e2save, I had a look at their returns policy. THe only thing of concern is if I need to ring customer services, and thsi nugget in their T&C:

'Where an identical product is not available, we may provide you with a product of similar value.'

This is regarding exchanges if the phone is faulty in 28 days. Should I be concerned about the vagueness of 'similar value'?

Upvote 0
hmmm...well from a mate of mine at work who did that with 3, they'll pester you for the next few days saying why are you leaving etc etc - so if your happy to wait for a few days to see what they do, i'd do that if your not in a rush :)

then again...it is a one x, and it is LOVELY! :D (no pressure lol)

tesco do

Upvote 0
The Tesco deal seems to have expired. It was also for slightly more per month and with less data, but worth looking into. Definitely going with e2save now. Many thanks for all your help.

Nice! Well, why not? I will refer you if you like, but it seems that you edited your last post.

yeah I thought it might be against forum rules to post my referral. I could pm you if you like :)

EDIT: just pm'ed you my referral. Here's to mutual benefit!

Upvote 0
Hurray! My (Tiwanese) One X was delivered today. It looks to be in pristine condition, with no dead pixels. I turned it on briefly and now it is on an 8-hour charge.

However, it has been delivered with a standard size SIM card. Can I just go into any mobile phone shop to have it re-sized? Does anyone know how much this will be?

There isn't a T-mobile shop anywhere near where I live, and I don't want to return the whole phone for such a small issue.

Upvote 0
Hurray! My (Tiwanese) One X was delivered today. It looks to be in pristine condition, with no dead pixels. I turned it on briefly and now it is on an 8-hour charge.

However, it has been delivered with a standard size SIM card. Can I just go into any mobile phone shop to have it re-sized? Does anyone know how much this will be?

There isn't a T-mobile shop anywhere near where I live, and I don't want to return the whole phone for such a small issue.

Congrats on the phone! I think the re-sizing process is possible to do yourself:

How-to: resize your SIM, change your APN, and drink the sweet nectar of mobile freedom -- Engadget

And if you mess it up, contact T-mobile and ask them to send you a new sim. In fact you could just try that in the first place. You are a T-mobile customer, after all.

So is it an unbranded phone then?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones