1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

On to Droid #4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by onecleancutlass, Feb 9, 2011.

1. onecleancutlass

Yea, that's right...

I have had my D1 now for less then a year and I am now on the fourth one. My first one bricked itself while trying an OTA update, free warranty replacement. That one the screen cracked on it, and I got an assurion insurance replacement. That one the volume button quit working on it three days ago so I called assurion again and had yet another D1 shipped to me under warranty.

This one that I have now with the broken volume button has been junk from day one though. As soon as I take it outside in the cold, the touch screen is absolutely worthless for about 10 to 15 minutes as it will either flat out not work at all or every thing I touch gets selected a dozen times even though I tap it once. It has been severely lagging lately and freezing all the time. I can only imagine how long this assurion warranty replacement will last me, but based on past experiences with my luck with these phones I would guess maybe three months tops.

I love my droid, but I am ready for something else now, maybe a D2 or DX. I have considered rooting my D1, but just have never gotten around to doing it so that isn't a big deal to me at all. Sadly though I am not due for an upgrade until October :( Has anyone had any experience with multiple replacement phones and getting an early upgrade because of it?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. milrtime83

milrtime83 Android Enthusiast

Still on my first one. Had it since about a month after they first came out.

They may be willing to do something if you have multiple replacements because of manufacturer defects. I'm specifically referring to the one that the screen cracked on. I assume that included a drop or something to make it crack.

3. Gunner

Gunner Android Enthusiast

I'm also on my 4th one (since Nov '09). All replaced under warranty due to manuf. defects. So far this 4th one seems to be the best of the 4 I've used. I could probably call into biz support and bitch about it / get an upgrade, but there's really nothing else that VZW offers right now that I'm interested in. I'm waiting for a dual-core, vanilla Android, phys. kb, 1gb RAM, FFC phone that's rootable.

4. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

AMEN to that! Add to that car and multimedia docks and I MIGHT say goodbye to the Droid I've had since Launch Day. Might.

5. digdug1

digdug1 Android Expert

man chief you REALLY like your phone lol!:p

6. mrjerryk

mrjerryk Well-Known Member

I am going to the local VZW store tomorrow to have them put in an order for my 4th phone.

The first one worked fine, but the screen started to come out of it one day 1. I took it back and they said they couldn't do anything about it because it didn't affect the functionality of the phone at all. After that I called in to have a new one sent out to me.

Of course that was a "like new" replacement and it the headset speaker didn't work. I was told by customer service to just get a blue tooth headset and use it like that. After not being satisfied with phone support I went back to the store and they put in the order and had express delivery. I received that one the next day.

This third one I am using now has a loud sqeak or whistle noise on the other end. Every time I call someone they complain about it. This happens whether I am using a headset or not.

Hopefully I will get a better phone this time. I got my first one in July and I have yet to drop any of the phones and they are well protected.

At this point I am ready to chuck the phone in a lake and claim an insurance claim on it. It's not that I want a different model phone or a free upgrade to the D2. I just want a working phone that I already paid for. My wife loves her Droid and has yet to have a problem with it. I am half tempted to leave VZW and switch to another carrier that has better customer service.

7. NiceGuysFinishLast

NiceGuysFinishLast Android Enthusiast

Don't hold the problems you're having against the phone itself. It's a well known issue that the refurb units are hit and miss. Many are like brand new and function wonderfully, some are just beat up lemons that should have never made it past QA. When you finally get a phone that works, you'll be quite happy with it.

8. onecleancutlass

Make that droid #5. Just got my new one activated today and part of the touch screen don't work... I called asurion and they were great! They are now sending me a brand new Droid 2 global as well as a car charger for it for free!

9. NiceGuysFinishLast

Sweet! You should see if they'll give you a discount on an extended battery, too. Couldn't hurt to ask, right?

Hope your experience goes better, I LOVE my D2G. If you haven't already, head over to droidforums.net, there's more D2G specific stuff over there.

10. onecleancutlass

I may check that out, thanks for the heads up!

11. NiceGuysFinishLast

lol, I only mention it because moving from a D1 to a D2G, you will be disappointed in the stock battery. I love my phone with an extended battery. Not needing to worry about a charger for at least a full day and a half, up to three with light use (vs one day tops with a stock battery) is nice. There's so much info at droidforums, I don't know how tech savvy you are, or how much geeking around you plan to do with your phone, but you can root, overclock, theme, flash custom ROMs (There's only one fully functional D2G ROM out right now, but I'm part of a Dev team that's porting Squidly and others)... This phone is pretty amazing. Especially once you get rid of all the crap that verizon installs.

12. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Android Expert

Agreed.
    And sometimes I have seen people mistake a momentary slowdown for a bad phone. There have been times when my phone would sit for a bit - and play catch up. If I leave it alone it comes back and all is well.
    If I get impatient and press more buttons it adds to the frustration and then the phone has to respond to multiple presses.
    People assume these are just like their home PCs and treat them the same way - when they should not.
    A) linux & B) look at the size of the thing! And you're asking it to behave like a $1,000 desk top? :D

13. th3goob

th3goob Well-Known Member

I understand your pain with your droid 1. Ive had my droid 1 since January 2010, my original droid i got when i pressed keys on the keyboard they were mapped out wrong, which Verizon sent me a replacement, that replacement had touchscreen problems, got that 1 replaced, the next 1 i got had random reboot issues got it replaced, and the next 1 was fine until about a week ago when it started randomly rebooting while entering the text messaging app handcent sms. called verizon and there sending me a droid 2 global for free. Also before i called about my phone i called about my mothers palm pixi plus which kept falling apart(same issues with 4 replacement devices) verizon sent my mother a droid 2 for free with the charger battery and back door for free. If your straightforward and know what you want and wont take no for an answer just ask then to elevate you to their supervisor and they will greatly help you out with our issues. hoped this help some.

14. chmura

chmura Newbie

Sorry to hear you had to go through all that!

15. mobrienjr

mobrienjr Android Enthusiast

Those all sound nice, but good luck getting a dual-core, vanilla Android phone. No body makes vanilla android phones anymore, unless it had the tag "NEXUS" on it. My suggestion, and what probable most people do anyways, is just put a different launcher on it. Who runs the stock UI anyways?

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews