• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

onebarefoot

Lurker
Apr 15, 2011
Hi all,
My first post on here so hope its in the right place etc.

I was wanting to know if it is possible to strip down an Android tablet so that it only runs a single app (accessible through the homescreen), no market, no browser etc.

A possible use case and my area of interest would be in a retail environment where a tablet is loaned to the retailer in order to authenticate group purchased coupons as part of a Groupon type initiative.

Thanks for all advice!

Well, you try rooting it and deleting everything except for the single app, but I am not sure you will even be able to turn the thing on afterwards. Unlike Windows, the system apps are not independent. Deleting one can affect another system app in strange ways. For example, on the Galaxy S, deleting the email app stops the camera from functioning, and deleting google talk breaks the market app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones