1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

One bar or three?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jimraj, Dec 6, 2009.

1. jimraj

jimraj New Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Really weird, but when my phone is in standby, I have one bar. But when I try to connect to a call it jumps up to 3 or 4 bars. Anyone else having this issue or do I have a faulty phone?

Advertisement

2. JayDH

JayDH Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Patent Attorney
    Arlington, VA
    My Droid is similar. The bars will float around 1 or 2 and then jump to 3 or 4 whenever I make a call or access data. I've never had a problem with my connection or call quality, so I assume it is working properly. Maybe it is just a minor big for the display of the bars.

3. b8b

b8b Member

Nov 4, 2009
    I have this problem too.

4. dragonriot

dragonriot Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    By design... it scales the power of the cell radio so as to conserve battery power when you're not in a call... It has full reception, but it doesn't need it, so it power-saves on the cell radio to just have enough signal to get a lock on the tower, then when you get or make a call, send a text, etc, then it powers up and gets full reception...

At least I think that's what's happening, since mine does it too.

5. b8b

b8b Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Sux when that is happening while using Pandora, it sure takes a long time to switch between songs, and forget high quality setting on 1x. I wish there was a way to force 3G if it is in range, the data rate is reall much faster (obviously).

EDIT: I am referring to when it sporadically switches from 1X to 3G