1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

One-Click Root for DX2 2.3.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by coolpoete, Sep 1, 2011.

1. coolpoete

coolpoete Android Enthusiast

Update 10/12/11 - This method also works on GB 2.3.4

Saw this on Droid Life and I tried it and rooted my phone for the first time today. Instructions were very easy and there's a video as well.

How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Original Thread on RootzWiki:
    http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?3714-ROOT-Droid-3-root-instructions-(One-Click-added-for-Windows-Linux-OSX)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Android Enthusiast

Worked well and was done in like 3 mins from all the phones I have rooted this was the by far easiest

3. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

Does this one click method automatically do all the SBF file downloading and what not?

I'm new to this rooting idea, and I'd like to root my droid x2 2.3.3.

What do I need to do before doing the one-click root?

Thanks.

4. coolpoete

Rooting and performing the SBF are 2 separate processes. Performing the SBF basically un-does the Root for instance if you would have to return the phone for warranty or mess up somewhere along the process of installing a custom ROM. It puts the phone back to the original un-rooted state. I would make sure you read through the threads about each and understand them both before you proceed. You have to download files for both processes.

5. Scur

Scur Android Expert

I just installed Gingerbreak 1.2 with DroidExplorer, ran it, and it rooted fine.

6. If root my x2 with gingerbreak and then install a custom rom....Ive read that (in another forum) if I just uninstall the gingerbreak apk file then my x2 would be unrooted to its original form. Is this true?

7. coolpoete

I would not trust that. Your best bet would be to perform the SBF back to gingerbread or froyo.

Tsquare_True_Player likes this.
  8. Scur

Scur Android Expert

I don't think so. I believe Gingerbreak will just give you root permissions, and that's all it does. Once you have those permissions granted to you, you shouldn't even need the apk on your phone anymore. It's like a one-time use app. And it has nothing to do with your ROMs, and has no effect on them.

Tsquare_True_Player likes this.
  9. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

Ok, so I performed the one-click root, and it worked like a charm.

However, I noticed that the available space on the phone is the same as it was prior to the root. What gives there?

Also, now that I have this thing rooted, what are things I should do to take full advantage of it? Any must-have apps?

10. Scur

Scur Android Expert

All rooting a phone does for you is grant you superuser permission. That's it. It doesn't make memory appear. What you have is what you have.

Everyone's definition of "must have" is different. My biggest two that require rooting are Root Explorer and Titanium Backup.

Just remember this: Rooting a phone doesn't just make it magically better. It gives you access to areas and applications that the average user doesn't need. You can get yourself into trouble if you dive into things without knowing what you're doing. Just do a bit of research before you do anything that seems iffy or has warnings attached to it.

tranzz likes this.
  11. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

Sounds good. Thanks for the info.

On that note I guess...

Say I end up deciding that I'd like to unroot my phone and go back to the way it was before (without having to start from scratch and download every single app again), how would one go about doing that?

So far I like what I'm seeing from the rooted phone but I'd just like to know.

I downloaded the SBF and RSD files before I rooted. What's all this talk about APK's or bootstraps?

Thanks again.

12. Th3Coog

Th3Coog Well-Known Member

Is it safe to assume that a titanium backup using the old way to root will work in 'restore' your with the new one click root?

13. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

I rooted my phone using 1-click a couple days ago. Decided it wasn't for me, and unrooted today using the GB SBF file and RSD Lite 5.3.1.

However, after running RSD and the SBF file, there are a few things that i have questions about. My phone is no longer rooted, because i have root checker on the phone and it pointed out clearly to me that i am not. That's a good thing.

The wallpaper on the phone is the same as it was prior to unrooting, all of my apps are still there, the apps that I had frozen are now back in place. Those things are good I think.

The bad is that I have no service . There are 3 bars showing up, and then a triangle to the left of the bars (triangle is on the upper right of screen). When I try to connect to browser or any app that requires 3g/internet access i can't.

So to summarize, I guess I have two questions:

1. Did the SBF/RSD run correctly? Is everything, including your downloaded apps, supposed to appear the same as it did before you unrooted?

2. What's the deal with that triangle and no service? Do I just need to re-activate the phone?

14. Th3Coog

I'm unable to answer your questions but have a question for you. Why wasn't the 1-click something for you?

15. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

The one-click was amazing, it made rooting it a breeze. But once I got it rooted I felt like I was in a little over my head as far as personalizing everything, dealing with all the files etc.

16. duke1agn

duke1agn Newbie

FYI: I went over to the xda dev. site and you do, indeed, need to reactivate your phone. It took less than 2 minutes. Up and running smoothly now.

tranzz and coolpoete like this.
  17. Hey guys, im new to all of this so I appreciate everyone's insight into rooting and unrooting the X2. Thanks again! :)

18. fishermunn

fishermunn Lurker

complete novice to rooting the dx2, i am having trouble with the motorolaoneclickroot program not recognizing the phone.
    usb connected
    usb debugging checked
    charge only checked
    i get no response to the "waiting for your phone to be connected"

i have the 32bit download on my computer

any help would be appreciated

19. droidx2x2

droidx2x2 Lurker

Hi, i need a little help... i tried opening the oneclickroot application and i get a message saying "cant open program becuase it cant find a version of runtime to run it." Any help would be great i have a droid x2 2.3.3 and im trying to open it on an windows xp...... ive already repaired net framework and it didnt work any help would be great thanks

20. Th3Coog

Did you follow all the steps in order?

21. droidx2x2

droidx2x2 Lurker

Yes.... I did. Any ideas why its doing that ... Is there anything i can try? ...Thanks

22. Th3Coog

Just to confirm, you:

1. Installed the Drivers on your Computer.
    2. Unziped OneClick
    3. On your phone: Click Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging (checked the box)
    4. Pluged your phone into computer and select "Charge Only" mode
    5. Navigated to 'MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4' folder and ran 'MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe'
    6. Then waited.

?

23. Harris09

Harris09 Lurker

I would be greatful if you could help me unroot my phone I did the one click root for the droid x to and I'm wanting to unroot if you could help me by telling me what to do plus what I need to download to do so I would be most greatful

24. droidx2x2

droidx2x2 Lurker

Yes.... but motorolaroot will not open .... it says cant find euntime to run the application

25. coolpoete

Did you install the motorola drivers?

Motorola Droid X2 Forum

The Motorola Droid X2 release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1540mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews