1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root One Click Root For The Desire?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JohnnyBravo1000, Nov 28, 2010.

1. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

Right.... That's done!

Next step is to partition my SD card?

Then I need to move onto flashing my ROM.

Advertisement

2. JohnnyBravo1000

Yep, that's what it's called.

I can find Titanium Backup on my SD card, but I can't find Current ROM or ROM Manager?

3. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

your current ROM is backed up already when you did backup in clockwork recovery. download rom manager from the market to partition your sd card.

4. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

I assume you're using your current SD card? Not using a new SD?

If using the existing card you have in your phone: ROM Manager > partition SD card > Ext Size 512MB > Swap Size 0

Regarding the backups, don't worry if you can't see them. Titanium and ClockworkMod will find them when/if they are needed later.

5. JohnnyBravo1000

Cheers mate.

Am currently doing that now. Phone is just rebooting.

Was it really as easy as clicking "partition SD card" selecting 512MB and then Swap 0?!

6. JohnnyBravo1000

Yes I am. Current SD card. 16GB.

7. JohnnyBravo1000

I've done that and the phone has just rebooted.

Is there a way of knowing if it's worked? Or will I need to flash a ROM first?

8. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

Yes its that easy. of course you'll need to format your SD card to fat32, or you could do what I did. I just went into my phone settings > sd storage > unmount sd card > format sd card > remount > then run rom manager and do the partitioning.

9. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

Will the card already be FAT 32 if it's the same card that was in the phone before? I know you need to format new cards.

10. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

Right now you have no data on your card, so check Menu > Settings > SD & phone storage > Available space

11. JohnnyBravo1000

After following the guide in Dan France's guide, it seems I have done something wrong and it didn't work properly.

I downloading Quick System Info and it said information unavailable which apparently means something is wrong. :(

I shall now try using Dinaro's method.

12. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

It should, but I did it anyway to ensure a clean partition with less chance for hiccups.

After you format with my method you'll have to then flash the ROM (leedroid or teppics) with A2SD+ support before you can see the A2SD+ partition with quick system info.

13. JohnnyBravo1000

That would explain why it didn't work then.

I've just partitioned the SD Card, so I know need to choose a ROM.

It's a toss up between the ROMs you two are using. I'm pretty happy with the phone as it is, but if LeeDroid's ROM has some handy features, I'd be tempted by that also.

14. JohnnyBravo1000

Oh, I also have a few apps which no longer work as they were saved to the SD card. Is this going to hamper the process?

15. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

They're both sense and good stable ROMs, so its up to you if you really want a custom ROM. I just like stock - the reasoning for me was because I just think theres less chance for things to go wrong ;) but thats just my superstition.

Anything that goes further away from stock usually has a higher chance of having issues or conflicts.

16. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

Should be fine, you'll just need to restore the apps+data you want once you've got AS2D+ going with the new ROM.

17. JohnnyBravo1000

The fact that you mention less chance of it going wrong appeals to me! :D

However, some of the features of LeeDroid's like the trackball to wake the phone is appealing.

How will Teppics ROM affect me as I'm in the UK? How will all of this affect the Radio etc?

18. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

Thaqt happened to me first time but I was trying to format a new card.

OK, have you got an SD card adapter or USB caddy so you can plug your SD in to your laptop?

Find it in Explorer, right click, Format, make sure it's set to FAT32 and that the Quick Format option is not ticked.

zeegy likes this.
  19. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

I can wake my phone with teppics optical trackpad press mod. :) Your location will have no effect on the ROM's performance, however the radio will. I've heard .48 radio worked the best for ppl in battery life and reception for ppl in the UK.

20. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

Sorry if i'm a bit late with my replies, i'm building a railway bridge at the same time! ;)

The radio in my sig is the one that came with the official Orange OTA 2.2 update, it works really well with LeeDroid and a topic on XDA is giving it praise. I beleive you can flash the radio if you have issues after flashing the ROM, buit it's best to check the ROM dev's thread in XDA to look at radio compatibility.

21. JohnnyBravo1000

Which ROM is easiest for containing everything I need on it?

How much hassle is it to download and install these add ons?

I'm worried about messing something up with the more I have to do!

22. dinaro

dinaro Well-Known Member

I can tell you from personal experience teppics ROM was very easy to install. The mod installations are just as easy. You can just flash them all in recovery. You'll need to decide yourself by reading the features of both ROMs over at XDA.

23. Eris Ed

Eris Ed Android Expert

Flashing any ROM add-ons is really easy!

Put the .zip file on your SD card, run Rom Manager and install from there in the same way you flash a ROM.

Guys, I'm setting off home now so I'll be offline for a couple of hours. be back to check your progress later :)

24. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Update.zip is put there by Rom manager. It is clockworkmod, but its not the flashed one. Rom manager applies this to simulate true recovery

25. JohnnyBravo1000

I'm all over the place now. I'm currently formatting my SD card in a caddy in my laptop.

My phone is in bits in front of me, and the missus is home in about an hour! :D

I can't believe this has taken me most of the day! :D

I still haven't flashed a ROM! :D

I am useless! :D

I was foolishly under the impression that I could download a ROM and that would be that. Silly me!