• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

one default gmail account -- two phones

rosh400

Jan 12, 2010
This is my first post though I've read many before I purchased our new phones. My wife and I both upgraded to the Eris on Sunday. I love the phone. Even she, who always complains about gadgets, loves the phone. When we bought the phones, I wanted to set up our shared email account as the default account on both phones. The sales guy at the VZ store said we could not do that. Not sure why. We run it on multiple computers and mulitple phones. Anyway, I set up a second gmail account and when I got home, I linked them but I would prefer to use the single account as the default account on both phones. Can I do this or was the sales guy correct? Thanks in advance for your input.

The reason you are not supposed to do that is because of the Market. You could purchase an app on one phone and use it on both. But if you were to reset one of the phones back to factory and basically start over I do not see any reason you could not do it.

It is a similar situation to the apple store. It is tied to your itunes account. So if you had say an iPod Touch and an iPhone you could theoretically purchase an app or game on the iphone then re-download it again on the iPod Touch at no charge because Apple simply thinks you are re downloading the app which is free once you already purchased it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick reply. I will see if I get any other responses before I try resetting the account.

Actually Apple explicitly lets you share apps just like they let you share songs. Itunes 9.x has homeshare capability. Both my boys of Ipod touches and the apps seamlessly sync between their computers.

Any other takers on my post?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones