1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

one of my google calendars just wont sync :/

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by dan55, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    hi all,

im sure it was working ok before - recently that is - but now events wont appear for this single calendar - all others are there ok - and the calendar itself is listed in stock cal app ok

ive tried unchecking/checking it - forcing sync - going into settings-calendars and out again to refresh phone list - re saving on google itself - booting the phone - but it just wont play :thinking:

help!

thanks
    dan

Advertisement

2. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Android Expert
    VIP Member

I get a calendar that just disappears every now and again, not the same one though, it changes, and I have no idea why.
    What has worked for me in the past is to go in to one of the events in that calendar (online, not the phone) and edit it. Then I go and triple check that all the calendars are selected on my phone (and calendar app/widget, if you use one) and sync it again. Then refresh my calendar widget.
    It's a total PITA and there is something wrong w/Google calendar but it's sporadic in it's stupidness. lol

3. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    hi - nice one thanks - it fought me all the way - had to pretty much edit each event! but got there in the end :)

ta

4. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    grrrrrrrrr :( :( its happened again! and ive tried the advice here a few times, initially the calendar was missing in list - but now shows - but i still only get a few events appearing - this is in android calendar and apps also

help!

cheers
    dan

5. funpig

funpig Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2010
    Over the last couple of weeks google has been experiencing problems where some calendars are unable to load or sync. It just happened to me to day; I could not load or refresh one of my calendars. I was pretty freaked out. Luckily, I do have a backup in the form of Pimlical on my desktop. I sent an email to the help centre. There was no reply. But after a few hours, the calendar was able to load again. As far as I could tell, there was no loss or damage to the cloud data.

But now I am having a problem with a neverending sync time between my android and google....

6. funpig

None

Nov 29, 2010
    Oops, I got back the missing google calendar, but now a different one won't load...

I hope Google fixes this soon.

7. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    hi
    what is the google email you used for support?
    thanks
    dan

8. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    got em back - only had to install sw updates and then do a factory reset - easy!
    :( :D

9. mhynek

mhynek Member
    None

Nov 23, 2009
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but I thought I'd share an experience with you. A friend of mine had close to 10 different calendars set up and only a handful of them were synching. I took her phone, went into settings/applications/calendar, cleared data, and then re-synched. It worked like a charm and hasn't been a problem since and that was 3 months ago. Anyway, hope this helps someone.

10. wenglish

wenglish Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    I've been fighting what I believe is the same problem. Changes made on a phone don't show up on the web, and therefore don't show up on other phones sharing the same calendars. Changes made on the web don't show up on any of the phones.

I have found that when making a change on the phone I have to do a Menu > Refresh in the built-in Calendar app in order for it to sync to the web. Doing a sync from Menu > Settings > Accounts & Sync does *not* sync the change.

Similarly for a change made on the web or on one of the other phones, the other phones receiving the change need Menu > Refresh done before the change will show up.

I can't tell if this is something I will need to keep doing, or if there is a problem at the Google end that they expect to fix.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were given a notification that syncing failed, but the failure is just silent. I really expected better from Google.

11. funpig

None

Nov 29, 2010
    I'm not sure. When the error message came up, it just gave a link to click for help. The link suggested going into internet options of IE and deleting cookies/cache/history and then asked if it helped. If you click no, it then gave me a window where I had to type in my name, email address, brief explanation, how long the problem and the name of the missing calendar, and then push submit.

There was no email reply, but a few hours later the missing calendar came back. But then another calendar went missing. I did the same thing and that calendar was eventually restored on google. There is also the help centre with a help forum that has been discussing this missing calendar issue over the last two weeks. It appears to be a server issue which affects about .01% of google users.

After I got all the google calendars back, I still suffered an endlessly-going-nowhere sync. The sync icon would always be on and both the Android and Calengoo calendars would freeze and no new events would sync in either direction. Eventually, I went into Applications-running applications and deleted the cache storage in the calendar storage. That got rid of the the sync issue.

I have 10 years (about 8 mb) of stored calendar events. Android only lets you sync back the last 2 months of events. In the past, I always tricked it by resetting my Android date to 1999 which forced it to sync all 10 years of data (you only have to do this the first time you sync to get all the old data in; after than you can reset to the current date). After this sync problem, I switched over to Calengoo's direct sync option which is designed to sync all historical data. The first sync took about 10 minutes. But all subsequent calengoo syncs have been really fast (30 seconds) compared to the Android syncs (3 to 4 minutes each time). Hopefully I won't have any more problems. (Note: there will be some duplication of calendar events (2months back going forward) from Android and Calengoo, but you can disable the Android calendar or make them invisible).

I am glad I backup my google calendar onto Pimlical desktop from time to time. This google glitch really freaked me out.

12. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    f*ck me! its gone again!!!!!! :( :( rubbish!

13. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Guest
    None
    I've got an intermittently disappearing calendar as well.
    Typically Spanning Sync fails and then when I try to view my calendars on the web interface I get the 'Oops, one of your calendars failed to load' message.
    Mine's a subsidiary calendar on my main account, seems to become unavailable for 2 to 3 hours at a time.
    I've reported it through the help centre so now I'm playing the waiting game :-(

14. droid-sls

droid-sls Lurker
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    Have also been struggling with random single Google calendar synch not updating. But my question for now is more of a lack of knowledge on my part ---- what does Refresh do --- how is it different than synch?

Just curious!

15. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    at times like this i wish i could depart from google cal :( copy it all to phone and cut the link imo

16. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
  17. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    still no calendar on phone :-(
    looks to be shared ok

18. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    what an idiot ive been :D just copy events to a new calendar! fixed

the one that died in this case wasnt my latest calendar - but fix it still good :)

cheers
    dan

19. wenglish

wenglish Member
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    IMO they should be identical, but the behavior I am seeing tells me they are not.

If Pocket Informant would simply call (say, at startup) whatever API the built-in calendar calls when you ask for a "refresh" I'd be happy. Sounds like maybe that's what calengoo does? (based on one of the replies above)