• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One of the first droids released: Different keyboard

I originally got my Droid on launch day. I was the first one in my town, first one in my store. LOL Sitting in the parking lot waiting for them to open the doors. My first one was bubbely. It was like a 38/09 I think. I have since then had a total 3 I left the store with and 2 that never left the store due to not activating at all. So this is number 5 and a 41/09. My keyboard is tottally flat. Flat like Montana LOL. That being said I never ever use it. I find it so easy to type with the touch screen that I don't even slide out the keyboard , which the physical keyboard being one of the main reasons I went with the droid. Ok now I am rambling lol . I had a bubblely keyboard and now I don't.

Upvote 0
My buddy lives about 45 minutes from me. I'll try to get him to take pictures but I might try to get in touch with him soon and post a mac shot. His keyboard even seems a little bit more raised than the picture posted here. However, it is exactly what I'm speaking of, his just seem a little bit higher raised. It seems silly but it actually dramatically makes a difference in typing. I'm not one of those gunhoe weirdos that thinks that it's just so incredible and outrageous but it does make a good difference.

Upvote 0
"I originally got my Droid on launch day. I was the first one in my town, first one in my store. LOL Sitting in the parking lot waiting for them to open the doors. My first one was bubbely. It was like a 38/09 I think. I have since then had a total 3 I left the store with and 2 that never left the store due to not activating at all. So this is number 5 and a 41/09. My keyboard is tottally flat. Flat like Montana LOL. That being said I never ever use it. I find it so easy to type with the touch screen that I don't even slide out the keyboard , which the physical keyboard being one of the main reasons I went with the droid. Ok now I am rambling lol . I had a bubblely keyboard and now I don't."

Montana is the opposite of flat!
SNC00012.jpg

So, it seems the flatter keyboard is easier to type on?

Upvote 0
"I originally got my Droid on launch day. I was the first one in my town, first one in my store. LOL Sitting in the parking lot waiting for them to open the doors. My first one was bubbely. It was like a 38/09 I think. I have since then had a total 3 I left the store with and 2 that never left the store due to not activating at all. So this is number 5 and a 41/09. My keyboard is tottally flat. Flat like Montana LOL. That being said I never ever use it. I find it so easy to type with the touch screen that I don't even slide out the keyboard , which the physical keyboard being one of the main reasons I went with the droid. Ok now I am rambling lol . I had a bubblely keyboard and now I don't."

Montana is the opposite of flat!
SNC00012.jpg

So, it seems the flatter keyboard is easier to type on?

No, the Flat Keyboard sucks and is one of the biggest complaints about the droid. I cant believe that they actually had a decent kboard out there and for some stupid reason decided to go with this flat Piece of Garbage usless KB instead:eek:.

Upvote 0
I initially had a launch day Droid. I just did an exchange due to camera problems (my camera would regularly take pixelated video with audio/video sync issues), and I received a new Droid in a new box. While my launch day Droid had the bumpy keys, my new one has the flat ones. I'm definitely a bit disappointed, and I'm wondering whether I should live with no video and a bumpy keyboard instead of video and a flat keyboard...

Upvote 0
I initially had a launch day Droid. I just did an exchange due to camera problems (my camera would regularly take pixelated video with audio/video sync issues), and I received a new Droid in a new box. While my launch day Droid had the bumpy keys, my new one has the flat ones. I'm definitely a bit disappointed, and I'm wondering whether I should live with no video and a bumpy keyboard instead of video and a flat keyboard...

I am sort of in the same boat. I just got a replacement Droid ("certified like new") due to sound problems and it is now the flat keyboard. I definitely preferred the bumpy keyboard, but I cannot live with the issues I was having.

Upvote 0
@nyijedi: I'm curious to know whether there is actually a difference in the video recording between your 2 Droids. Mine has the same problem w/ pixelated, stuttering videos. I had assumed it was just a software issue, and it would hopefully get ironed out w/ an update. Let us know if there is an actual difference. I have found that it usually happens w/ me when panning or following something w/ a lot of motion.

Upvote 0

I have another question for you, since you also currently have "both versions" of the Droid. Is your keyboard backlight on your launch day Droid noticeably brighter than on your new Droid? As soon as I used my new Droid in a totally dark room, it was clearly noticeable that the backlight isn't as bright - I even did a side-by-side to make sure I wasn't going crazy. It's really not a big deal, but I'm curious to know if this is consistent w/ the two different types of keyboards.

I like my flat keyboard because it's like a virtual keyboard with tactile feedback. I can move around on it quicker than if I had raised buttons.

To be fair, the difference isn't THAT noticeable, and I'm sure with a little practice, I'll adjust in no time to the flat keyboard.

@nyijedi: I'm curious to know whether there is actually a difference in the video recording between your 2 Droids. Mine has the same problem w/ pixelated, stuttering videos. I had assumed it was just a software issue, and it would hopefully get ironed out w/ an update. Let us know if there is an actual difference. I have found that it usually happens w/ me when panning or following something w/ a lot of motion.

My pixelating/freezing also would happen more often when panning or following something with a lot of motion...hmmm... My wife also has a Droid, and when she said she's never had that problem, I put in for the exchange. I hope I didn't do an exchange for nothing. Has anyone else also had this problem? Either way, I plan on doing some thorough testing tonight re: the video camera, and I promise to post back here with my results.

Upvote 0
@nyijedi: Did you just reply...to yourself? Lol. ; )

But seriously....lol...(still laughing)...about the video issue - lots of people have reported the same thing, which is why I thought it to likely be a software issue. Or perhaps an issue w/ the class 2 SD cards we were given w/ the phone. Not sure if using a class 6 card makes a difference (I'm guessing not).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones