1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

One of the first droids released: Different keyboard

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jmhatz, Dec 27, 2009.

1. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    42/09 flat.

And I don't use the slide out unless I am playing Quake, so....

Advertisement

2. alex2010

alex2010 Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    [FONT=&quot]Thanks for the awesome post I loved reading it. Keep up the good work, really like.[/FONT]

3. Jon8RFC

Jon8RFC Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    40/09 (bought midnight on release day)
    TA716026FX
    HW A
    Assembled in China

flat keys (I'm pretty sure)
    white search, tinted back, settings, home
    battery cover not falling off
    screen looks great when brightness is cranked up

I'm curious to know if others' battery covers were falling off as well when comparing the manufacture date. I've never had an issue with mine. My keys did seem flatter in the beginning, but maybe I've just adjusted to them. I read that maybe the heat caused it, because many times I've used it for a few hours and it gets quite hot.

4. dankvwguy

dankvwguy Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Professional
    GA
    mine will slide down a small bit occasionally but for the most part i havnt had a problem. my aunt has a launch unit and has already lost her backing. fell off somewhere.

also, keyboard use isnt going to bring on bubbled keys. my coworker pounds away at hers all day and hers are still flat. hers is newer then mine too. im bubbly

this is a conspiracy

5. WishRyder

WishRyder Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    I registered in the forums just for this, because I felt I needed to post it. I have a bubbly keyboard, phone marked 40/09. I purchased my phone on launch day.

I don't have a flat keyboard to compare it to, but the bubble keyboard uses one single overlayed piece of rubber that basically sits on top of all of the buttons. The problem is, my keyboard is starting to come "unglued" after regular use, which may be the reasoning for the redesign of the "bubble keys".

Currently, the unglued rubber has sort of formed it's own subtle "bubble" over the entire left half of the keyboard (centered over the F), as well as the space bar. This makes the keys noticeably more difficult (and much more unreliable) to press, most evident with the spacebar which only feels responsive on the left half of the button. Because of this, the keys have a kind of "tacky" feel to them as the rubber attempts to stick back to the buttons, but fails. Annoying to say the least.

I'm planning on taking my phone in for a replacement and am kind of hoping for a flat keyboard this time. Until this problem developed, I had almost discarded my netbook entirely. Now, I'm back on the netbook for my casual browsing because the keyboard on my Droid has become so annoying to use.

6. dankvwguy

dankvwguy Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Professional
    GA
    if its a redesign how come my 51/09 is bubbly. another friend just bought a 2/10 and its still bubbly too.

sooo confusing!!!!

also, i use my keyboard 24/7 all day long and still havnt had any "unglueing" type issue. i have notice the left side of my space key is beginning to make a click noise wen i lift off of it quickly, might be like ur issue because if i push hard it wont make the noise for about 3 or 4 spacebar uses then it starts again. doesnt bother me but it will if more keys start doing it

if i brought mine in for replacement id pray for another bubbly key one. even if i have to replace it every six months id rather have it over the flat keyboard. i cant stand the few ive used. i do use a bubble keyboard all day so the flat may just need a learning curve to get used to it

7. Rcs476

Rcs476 Newbie
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    42/09, slightly bubbly. But after pressing down on the keys, you can feel the bump of the contact. I would imagine that the harder you press when typing, the more "bubbly" it becomes.

8. dankvwguy

dankvwguy Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Professional
    GA
    my second to last post

9. Cahill

Cahill Newbie
    None

Mar 18, 2010
    My roommate got a Droid on launch day and I bought mine about two months ago. His keyboard is more raised and bubbly compared to mine. If you hold them in your hands you can feel the difference immediately. Some people say that all the keyboards are the same on the Droid but is simply not the case. Some reason they were changed after the launch.

10. dankvwguy

dankvwguy Newbie
    None

Feb 9, 2010
    IT Professional
    GA
    it cant be that they were changed after launch, ive been saying this over and over. read the thread!

why would older/newer phones then mine have flat and bubbly keyboard. its not like a bunch of 09s are flat and 10s arent or anything like that. it seems random as shit so far. some new ones bubbly, some old ones bubbly, some new ones flat and so on

at this point the only thing i can think of is different phone makers but im sure motorola monitors every bit of this phones creation so i dont see how such a big difference in design is being allowed.

the best way to check if urs is bubbly or flat is to look at your lights. all the flat ive seen have a lot bluer search/menu/home/back buttons and bubbly have been white

11. WHATUPDROID

WHATUPDROID Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I got my droid on release (39/09), never been dropped, scratched, or anything, but I've sent somewhere around 300,000 texts on it so far....

but I started with a flat keyboard, can't remember the softkey coloration, but I believe it was white.

I now have a "bubbly" keyboard, with purplish (its the only color that fits this) lights.

My only assumption is that its a byproduct of the rubber being heated (which has a chance of happening during manufacturing, shipping, etc.) and then cooling, thus making the rubber shrink slightly, and squashing all the keys together, "bubbling" them.

I also remember the phone sliding easier when I first got it, as well as the fact that the battery cover came off much easier than it does now. I HAVE NEVER EXCHANGED MY PHONE, but so much of it is different from the day I bought it. The sliding can be explained by a sharp temperature flux in the grease, which would make it more viscous, but the battery cover pretty much has no logical explanation.

12. Brennschluss

Brennschluss Newbie
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    I was just in the Verizon store today talking with the sales folks. I explained that I hade returned my Droid because I found the flat keyboard impossible to type on accurately. So one of the clerks pulls out his Droid and shows me his bubbly keyboard. He explains that it started out flat and got bubbly as he used it. I found the bubbly keyboard much better than my old one but I'm still going to get my incredible.

I do have to say that having worked in tech for over 30 years the idea of the keyboard changing over time like this is totally insane. The last tech keyboard issue that I remember was at Digital Equipment Corp in the late 70's when keyboards were 100's of dollars each and one major bank customer had a secretary ro data clerk who was so strong she was killing keyboards at the rate of one every two weeks and the customer was demanding warranty replacements. Those keys were definately not bubbly after she got through with them! :eek:

13. kevin8se7en

kevin8se7en Lurker
    None

May 13, 2010
    I have both side by side right now and there is quite a difference. I have to send the bubbly one back because its malfunctioning. The one I droid Right now has a flat keyboard and is my 4th Droid.

The build date on the bubbly is 40/09
    I assume that's the 40th week of 2009 because my new one is 18/10.

The backlighting is the exact same for me as far as I knonoting gonna put the battery in the bubbly phone and ill edit this post if its not.

14. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Android Expert
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I got 40/09 on release day and I have a flat keyboard. I also have never had ANY issues with my Droid. No battery cover falling off, no unglued keyboard, no overheating...nothing!

I've used the bubbly keyboards and honestly I type better with the flat one. With the bubbly I always end up hitting like 2-3 keys at the same time. It's weird, but true.

15. tychnlee

tychnlee Lurker
    None

Sep 29, 2010
    Gah, okay 23/10. Blueish green keys which are sooo ugly. White capacitive touch button. Battery cover is perfect. And lastly a flat keyboard but it seems to have a hump or curve going from the top to bottom. Not bubbly but does have some curve to it. Its not too bad, I would have loved to get the bubbly kind, but one thing I cannot stand is the backlight color. Its hideous to me.

16. G35 Mass

G35 Mass Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    I'm getting a good laugh at this thread.

I'm on my FIFTH droid since December. Every phone has started out with a flat keyboard. All but one came unglued and became bubbly.

I don't think there's a single design difference, as none of these CAME with the bubbly keyboard, but four became bubbly after a month to six weeks. I'm good for about 2000txt/month, and exclusively use the physical keybard.

I find it physically harder to type on the bubbly keyboard, and will be going to Verizon to get an exchange tomorrow. The physical force needed to depress the keys is a lot more, and I get many more typos with the bubbly keyboard.