• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root One S Root?

Upvote 0
Was reading some other threads there today, didn't see that one.

It says "You will need to htcdev bootloader unlock your device to use this root solution."

So first, I need to run this [TOOL] HTC One S All-In-One Toolkit V1.0 [4-17-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - Page 3 - xda-developers to unlock the bootloader?

Then, I follow your link to root?

Still not 100% clear what I'd need to do and I'm not touching anything until I am.

Hopefully, I'll have 2 HTC ONE S devices early next week.

I have unlocked and unlocked the bootloader,want to debrand and put stock ROM on need a guide, many thanks!!

Upvote 0
Was reading some other threads there today, didn't see that one.

It says "You will need to htcdev bootloader unlock your device to use this root solution."

So first, I need to run this [TOOL] HTC One S All-In-One Toolkit V1.0 [4-17-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - Page 3 - xda-developers to unlock the bootloader?

Then, I follow your link to root?

Still not 100% clear what I'd need to do and I'm not touching anything until I am.

Hopefully, I'll have 2 HTC ONE S devices early next week.

Follow this link, [Tutorial]Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM - xda-developers a noob and I had no problems...well a few but I managed to do it, I have back up but haven't yet flashed a custom Rom..

Reactions: bradhoschar
Upvote 0
Follow this link, [Tutorial]Root, Unlock, Recovery and flashing a Custom ROM - xda-developers a noob and I had no problems...well a few but I managed to do it, I have back up but haven't yet flashed a custom Rom..

It only took me about 20 minutes to unlock and root....the directions are a lil hard to understand for a n00b, but as long as its unlocked, you can just ADB the CWM touch recovery....

Now, if anybody was smart enough to make a stock backup, PLEASE let me know! Yup, I 'root uninstall'ed something, and now my weather widget won't live-stream....

Thanks All!!

:thumbup:

Upvote 0
I'm a noob also, and I rooted my Motorola Triumph the day I got it for CM7; but I'm not understanding the desire to root HTC one. Can someone please educate this noob, Thanks in advance.

You need root for certain apps. You need to do most of the process to flash a custom ROM. Even if you don't use those apps, or don't want to flash ROMs, you need it in order to change system files to remove bloatware or change the boot/shutdown animations, etc.

Reactions: daposaspo
Upvote 0
Seeing as the phone is pretty rapid anyway, and you can just disable most app's that you don't use, what is the advantage of rooting it?

I can understand on older phones as I rooted my old X10 mini to get rid of facebook and other shite, and also to load customs roms but on the One S I don't really see the need?

There are still some apps you can't disable without root. I'm not sure which version you have (us/international), bit the US version has Carrier IQ. And again you get more customization options with root access.
I can understand why some folks don't see the need, but personally I want root privileges on any phone I own. I enjoy trying out ROMs and like to use a couple root only apps.

Upvote 0
Mine's the UK version so barring the sim toolkit, i've been able to pretty much disable every useless app on it.

Are there any custom rom's available yet and are they that different?

Like I said, for my old phone, 'old' being the important word, there were a multitude of rom's out there but the phone isn't even two months old yet so how many can there be?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones