1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

One Stop Shop Idea/Suggestion

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wizard59, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Wizard59

Wizard59 Well-Known Member

All ideas on this would be great. Let me know if this is something you guys want. I see where everyone is willing to point where something is but why have to dig for the download link.

Idea:
    Use one location for all file hosting.
    I currently have a dropbox acct with 2.25GB storage.

Pros:
    -One download link for everything
    -Can be updated at anytime
    -Can accomodate custom requests easily with a PM.
    -Devs with multiple devices can have programs/files for all devices hosted on same server.
    -Allows other dropbox users to DL to their dropbox in case of shady internet.
    -More

Cons:
    -None I can think of.

What I Need:
    -Permission to host files made by devs. Such as Custom ROMs and Custom Scripts.

Also if you guys think it is a good idea I need suggestions on anything else you might want to see in it.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

i just click the link and then i have it on my pc or in my drop box and then put on ext. hard drive and have everything i need.and just upload stuff to people if they need it. don't really see an advantage to your way? but willing to listen more if you have more info?

3. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

con... everything on this forum is WAY bigger than 2.5gb ;)

4. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

but they are saying if referals, they get 500mb more for each person that joins, which bennifits them to more dropbox space??:thinking:

5. NightThorn

NightThorn Member

A brand new skydrive account gives you 25 gbs. :)

6. Wizard59

I just see a lot of mediafire links. I was just thinking this would be like a storage server that could even host old files as well. With one link and browse. Also may go for something and see something else you might want.

And to space issue. 2gb+ is still a lot of phone stuff in one spot.

Just a suggestion. May try it anyway if its ok to host roms and stuff just to see may be liked and may not.

7. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

give it a try and see? not downing your idea but better off making a thread with all links on it for every and anything, then your way i think. was gonna do that myself and said too much work. and 2+ gb is nothing like LV said.

8. Wizard59

May throw link up in a few. The whole idea of the referral idea was more storage for phone stuff. I'm not much of an online storage person I would rather carry a flash drive or use remote access myself.

9. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

well look into that skydive then?

10. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

There is a thread for dropbox referrals (http://androidforums.com/android-applications/68894-dropbox-sugarsync-minus-referral-thread-only-post-them-here.html). Do not post referrals anywhere else we consider that spam (nobody has in this thread, just letting that fact be known). ;)

Also, there is a thread with all the ROM/guide/theme/kernel/etc links already. It's stickied. http://androidforums.com/galaxy-prevail-all-things-root/451804-samsung-galaxy-prevail-all-things-root-guide-updated-07-27-2012-a.html. :D

So just as long as we steer clear of referrals here, everything is cool. ;)

lunatic59 and cwhatever like this.
  11. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

got you on that!

12. Wizard59

Ok did a little research it seems skydrive only offers 7GB free to new users. But that is still more storage so may be the way to go. Also seen a share feature in it will check on it a little more to see if it will allow you to DL directly to your skydrive acct or if it will allow you to browse a directory like dropbox will.

13. cwhatever

cwhatever Life Goes On

i don't think this is the way you want to go with this. maybe a thread listing everything else not in the sticky?

14. Wizard59

@lv90 and cwhatever
    I noticed in another thread one of you mentioned to have everything. May I ask about how much storage space that is currently requiring? And is that just Prevail stuff or other devices as well?

15. agentc13

Feel free to PM/report anything that isn't in the sticky that you think should be as well. We will get it added.

NightThorn likes this.
  16. Wizard59

Guessing that mods dont think this is a good idea. That being said guess I will give up on the idea.

17. agentc13

If you get permission to host the files, feel free to do so.

I was only trying to let folks know that they can let us know about things missing from the sticky so that we can keep it up to date.

18. Lordvincent 90

Lordvincent 90 ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓

i got roughly 13gb (12.96gb) in my prevail folder. though not all of it is for public consumption, but i bet its around 8-10gb if i take out the "private" files... not including the older versions of roms... (anything before ct3.68, anything before cm7b5, older versions of cm9, anything before shabby.6, the list goes on)

i think you fail to realize exactly whats out for this phone...
    you may be in over your head.

like AC13 said... there is a page specifically for the things available for this phone, and anything that doesnt contain a valid link... is usually rehosted shortly after a request is made by the awesome people on this forum... (usually within an hour or so, lol)

cwhatever likes this.
  19. NightThorn

NightThorn Member

I have to agree with you. I have alot of stuff for the prevail. and that does not include all the modifications, additions and cwm flashable zips that i have found through the forum.There is a lot of stuff on this forum that is very nice to keep a copy of.:D

20. Wizard59

Maybe I just threw my idea out prematurely. I know there is a lot out there and I dont have anywhere near all of it. But I also know you guys are a great community. So I was just gonna try and give back a little. Honestly I have found more answers and useful information on this forum than any other android forum including xda when working on my prevail.

agentc13 likes this.
  21. wetbiker7

wetbiker7 Extreme Android User

I'll give ya an AMEN on that comment!:D

22. oopsibrokeit

oopsibrokeit Member

And as an idiot consumer of the high quality products of the devs here the clicky linky downloady file thing going on here is way easier than mucking through a giant file list to find what you need

23. Koumajutsu

Koumajutsu Android Expert

a big con is a single point of failure if everything is on one host.
    a more ideal situation is a single, sort-able, searchable list linking to multiple mirrors for each file. Especially if that list is stored in a portable file format like XML that can be read by multiple system types through many various interfaces.

24. Wizard59

I planned to have it organized but as kouma said if it goes down nothing is available. And that would generate a lot of traffic therefore likely to be temp shutdown unless I had premium acct somewhere.

25. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter!

I happen to be the proud holder of a grandfathered skydrive account which means that I happen to have 25 GB free.

NightThorn likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Prevail Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Prevail release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 2MP camera, GB RAM, MSM7627-3 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews