1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

One thing Apple does better...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thisISjoel, Nov 6, 2014.

1. thisISjoel

thisISjoel Android Enthusiast

Hey dude-bros!

So I'm still a fairly recent convert to the Church of Android and while I'm not looking to go back, like ever, there is one thing that my iPhones did WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than my N5 and that is playing music/podcasts with the screen off and not use much battery.

Am I alone here?

Maybe it's the years of development of the iPod that has allowed Apple to master this, but I found my iPhones could play music or podcasts with the screen off and use extremely little amounts of battery to do it.

My N5 on the other hand, seems to burn through a disproportionate amount of battery to just play some audio with its screen off!

I actually hardly ever listen to music, but when I do I use google play music app to play back songs stored on the phone (no cloud streaming).

Mostly its podcasts which I use the pocketcasts app for and again, I download the episodes at home on wifi and only listen to them when they have downloaded so I'm not streaming.

Anyone else notice this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. bigt

bigt Android Enthusiast

3. mistergoof

mistergoof Member

I also listen to podcasts and have not seen battery issues. I use Beyondpod.
    I was listening to AAA the other day and they were taking to the his behind DJ (now ported to android) and the suggestion was that Lollipop had some improvements for audio.

4. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

No I have very minimal battery loss when playing music stored on the device using the Google music app.

5. zipred

zipred Android Expert

Having lots of experience with both platforms, they are simply different, this is not about picking a winner. That only applies in the largely ego driven world of Apple. Make no mistake about it, I'm not bashing Apple, just sharing an observation after years of experience.

The best phone is the one that fits your needs.

I enjoy terrific battery life out of most all my phones no matter what brand because i have them optimized.

6. Biaviian

Biaviian Android Enthusiast

Once in a while I will notice it but I can always point back to some other app or service that was running. Usually I am listening to downloaded content from the SiriusXM app, I have WiFi on and I'm going in and out of range, or the location services are hogging the battery. I have never seen it happen without being able to identify a different culprit. I will say that the speakers SUCK (they did on the N4 too)!!! I really hope the N6 is better in that regard.

7. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Another vote for BeyondPod, been using it for years with no issues.

8. GuitarG20

GuitarG20 Clueless Senior Member

I have used both pocket casts and beyondPod on my N5 since I got it. Battery drain seemed to be about the same between the two.

9. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I listen to podcasts or music pretty much all day, every day while doing benchwork in the lab.

One of the nexus 5's best features was its new DSP tunneling allowing low battery use during playback with screen off. Google advertise(s/d) 60 hours.

10. chukka63

chukka63 Android Enthusiast

Get an ipod :D

11. JeffDenver

JeffDenver Newbie

If your Nexus is getting crappy battery life playing MP3s with the screen off, then yeah. Maybe.

I have my MP3s playing continuously while at the gym. My screen is off most of the time. Burning 3% or less in an hour is normal for me. Might be a rogue app that is eating your battery life in the background.

I have no idea what is normal for the iPhone, but 1-3% battery in an hour on the Nexus is perfectly acceptable IMO. And more than I have seen on other Android phones. The Nexus 4 and 5 both do really well with MP3 playing for some reason.

(All my music is local storage, but I am also using Bluetooth earbuds...so there is that).

12. zipred

zipred Android Expert

There's something wrong and it may be as simple as checking your setup preferences for the phone and your music apps.

Careful setup provides me with stellar battery life. I do a vast amount of streaming since my N5 also serves as the central component in my car. Upon entering my vehicle the cars active Bluetooth scanning senses the presence of my phone. Automatically loading my contacts calendar and center helper apps. The audio resumes playing the music I was listening to in the house and resu ey mmes right where I left off. Upon incoming text messages email etc it will read them to me, then with Google speech to text it'll allow me to speak my response. Incoming calls automatically mute the audio so I may listen and respon or let it go to email

All in all after a very heavy day I use still have 20% +/- remain

13. dalegg

dalegg Newbie

I live in an area where I have a weak signal from verizon. My phone has to up the power to try to establish a connection to the cell Tower and it takes a lot of power. I have a note 3 and sometimes my battery will last maybe 3 hours with doing some stuff on the internet. I'm going to get a nexus 6 because I didn't seem to have this problem when I had a Motorola phone. However the area has build up and there's probably a lot more traffic now than there used to be.
    if you live in a weak signal area like I do that may have something to do with your lousy battery.

Nexus 5 Forum

The Nexus 5 release date was November 2013. Features and Specs include a 4.95" screen, 8MP camera, Snapdragon 800 processor, 2300mAh battery, and 2GB storage.

November 2013
Release Date
Reviews