1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

One thing Google needs to improve - Podcasts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Roroco, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

I love ICS, especially for the small things like the Google Music controls on the lock screen (even the secure lock screens). but, it makes their podcast app Listen look even more dated than it already was.

i know there are quality third part podcasting apps, but you guys think Google will touch this soon? Will they add features like speed control, drag-able organization, and quick controls on the lock screen? Or will they finally integrate podcasts into Google Music?

Anyone have any insight?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mattywalnuts

mattywalnuts Well-Known Member

I agree, I never understood why this was never addressed. I use beyond pro and have no complaints.

3. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert

Listen hasn't been updated since 10/10.
    It's possible that it's now an orphan...

4. Stigy

Stigy Some say...

5. stew930

stew930 Well-Known Member

I gave up on the Google app a year ago and went with DoggCatcher and never looked back.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I agree that it's ridiculous that this basic functionality isn't built into the phone. DoggCatcher never worked right with Bluetooth for me even though I liked the app. I'm now using BeyondPod, which I like less, but which actually worked with Bluetooth.

7. Chugworth

Chugworth Member

Agreed! The "Listen" app is horrible. I finally got rid of it about a month ago. It's always been a buggy app, but the last time I tried it, it would play a small part of the podcast, loop, and then keep playing that part over. I've looked through other podcast apps, but I haven't really found one that's ideal. DoggCatcher sounds good, but I'm always paranoid of non-Google apps that need the permission:

"USE THE AUTHENTICATION CREDENTIALS OF AN ACCOUNT"

One feature I would like to see in future versions of Android is "line-item veto" on the app permissions page.

8. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

I use Pocket Casts and it's great.

9. Roroco

Roroco Well-Known Member

I do pay for apps, but Listen is just good enough that I can't justify paying 3-5 dollars for another app. I am hoping someone at Google remembers that people listen to Podcasts. I bet they will integrate it with Music eventually.

I emailed the team to see if they have anything to say. I don't expect a response, but we'll see.

10. Elliterate

Elliterate Newbie

I listen to podcasts every day and I really like pocket casts. You can download the podcasts when you're home over wifi or stream them. Shows recent episodes and you can organize them in different ways and all my podcasts were very easy to find in the search. Can't ask for much more.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews