• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One thing leads to another

You know how one thing leads to another? [I remember an '80s song to that effect... :thinking:] Well, here's what happened:

My helper, who is very handy and also has a very handy boyfriend, pointed out that the bathroom light fixture is on its last legs, and they could install a new one. She also asked if they could paint the bathroom. Both of these projects were on my list before I got sick. I had just had the exterior of the house painted, had several light fixtures and faucets replaced, bought new dining room and other furniture, and was about to have the interior of the house painted, and that bathroom light fixture replaced, when things changed.

So I said yes! :)

And then it happened... :eek:

Here's what I ended up buying:

new_bathroom_stuff_2.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_1.jpg

A complete rundown:

new_bathroom_stuff_4.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_3.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_5.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_6.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_7.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_8.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_9.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_10.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_11.jpg

and...oh, yeah!, the paint:

new_bathroom_stuff_13.jpg

new_bathroom_stuff_12.jpg

The ultra-bright white is for the walls, and the soft blue for the door and trim.

Now I can't wait for it to get done! [We're still waiting on a couple of items.]

I've taken 'before' photos, and will be happy when I can take 'after.' :D

here is some listening music while you renovate your bathroom:

can't wait to see the before and after
The Fixx! Thank you! I could hear the song in my head [hey, no comments about hearing voices], but for the life of me couldn't remember the group's name. :)

Upvote 0
I'd just like to make a recommendation. Since you already renovating your bathroom consider replacing your old outlets to GFCI .
The GFCI outlet protects electrical wiring and receptacles from overheating and possible fire, greatly minimizing the risk of shock injuries and fatal burns. It also detects ground faults and disrupts the flow of current.

GFCI_circuit.jpg

Types-of-GFCIs.jpg

https://www.electricaltechnology.or...interrupter-types-working.html#types-of-gfcis

Upvote 0
consider replacing your old outlets to GFCI .
Thanks, they're certainly important, especially in bathrooms. I have them where applicable but, remarkably, not in this bathroom. :eek:

That's because when the house was built in the 1940s, for whatever reason, they didn't put an outlet near the sink. In fact, the only outlet in the room is on the opposite wall from the sink, and its only use is a nightlight that's always plugged in. So there's not much need!

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0
So there's not much need!

Let's see- Toilet/sink/bathtub overflows/floods (depending on how high on the wall the outlet is), water gets splashed around, you grab that light with wet hands-
Plus GFI's are required by electrical code with new construction in kitchens and bathrooms and possibly when renovating although I'm not sure of the specifics.
I'd go ahead and change that one while you're at it, it only takes a few minutes.

Upvote 0
it only takes a few minutes.
For someone who knows what they're doing! Like an electrician.

Your scenario cracked me up. :D I could just picture myself splashing around in waist-deep water, flinging my arms and knocking the nightlight out of the outlet. :)

Seriously, though, there's just no need. Right now. There's another project on that very wall I've been mulling over for a long time. On the same wall with the outlet, there's a Thermador electric heater. It never gets used; I consider it an eyesore. I've been thinking of having it removed, which would involve removing/disabling its electrical wiring. So if I have an electrician here to do that--and the ideal time to do it is before painting commences--I'd have it done then.

Upvote 0
I don't think the list is complete. :eek:

The more I look at that bathroom, the more I see things I want to change. We're tossing around ideas, and I don't know yet where this will end up, but I know it's going to involve my trusty, amazing handyman. It will simply be beyond the scope of what my helper and her boyfriend can do. It certainly started out easy enough... :)

Now on my [potential] hit list:

- toss the vanity
- replace with a pedestal sink
- toss the recessed medicine chest
- plaster over the hole it leaves
- toss the mirror over the sink
- replace with one I like
- install a small wall cabinet [somewhere] to make up for lost storage space from removing the vanity

I think that's it.

But I'm not sure. *shrug*

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
My better judgment reared its ugly little head, and I think I've decided against all that other stuff. There are other things that are more pressing, or that I'd rather do first, so I think we're just going to stop with what I've already bought.

We'll see...

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
In any sort of face lift / remodel / upgrade of a home, one has to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, you can easily invest more than you will ever recover. Your bath with new fixtures will look sharp. It's not like the project can't be revisited at some point. A little here and a little there over time is the ticket. Steady wins the race.

I've lived in my old house for so many years that I'm now remodeling my previous remodels. :)

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
In any sort of face lift / remodel / upgrade of a home, one has to draw a line somewhere. Otherwise, you can easily invest more than you will ever recover.
Yes, I definitely need to draw a line, but gauging how much I'll recover isn't a factor. I'm in the house I will die in, and at that point my daughter gets it, and must keep it in the family.

You should've heard some of the conversations I had with telemarketers, before I quit answering unknown calls. They're persistent little devils! :eek:

They'd be trying to sell [fill in the blank: solar panels, remodeling, adding a room, other big projects], and their biggest selling point was "it'll add so much to the value of your home!" Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

I'd explain that no one would buy THIS [small, California-style, unimposing] house in order to LIVE in it. In Arcadia, houses like mine are &$#*!@) bulldozed the day after the title transfer is complete. So adding a room wouldn't do anything but cost me money! [If I intended to sell.]
Your bath with new fixtures will look sharp. It's not like the project can't be revisited at some point. A little here and a little there over time is the ticket. Steady wins the race.
Definitely. My imagination ran wild; I'm glad my better judgment kicked in. And you're right, the bathroom will look good with its new fixtures--and fresh paint. We can always do more later.
I've lived in my old house for so many years that I'm now remodeling my previous remodels. :)
Yes, but it's nice, right? I mean, it's your home, and it has been for so long you're remodeling its remodels! Besides, you're so handy, I'll bet you get a lot of satisfaction out of doing the work yourself. Much like learning how to repair cars, remodeling is something I never got around to. :)

By the way, I know exactly what sparked my over-zealous ideas: looking at pictures of my house in Dallas. Specifically, the beautiful porcelain pedestal sink, matching toilet, ceramic tile floor, and other fixtures I had replaced when renovating its master bath. I think I got confused...and thought I still had the income that went along with that. *SMH*

Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones