1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General One X vs Samsung Galaxy S3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by eddiewawa, May 4, 2012.

1. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    IT 'Anal'yst
    Leeds
    Hey all,

Is it just me or are you guys just as relieved that the Samsung Galaxy S3 wasn't the ultra awesome beast we all had in our heads?

I was secretly dreading that i have made a mistake with the One X if the S3 turned out to be super-duper, but it turns out our One X can hold the line just fine.

What things on the S3 are you guys envious about?

the only thing of note is the expandable storage AND bigger battery

Besides that? Think our lil baby is pretty much on par with most things and trumps the S3 on screen quality in pixel density & better camera...

Advertisement

2. Netherdragon

Netherdragon Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 31, 2010
    Male
    IT Support
    yer i was expecting more from the SGS3.

I'm more than happy with my one x. and like you said the expandable storage would be nice but isn't a must have feature for me personally (partly due to the free drop box storage), and it only has a battery 300MAH bigger than the One X.

I'm willing to bet once HTC release an update to put the power management software in the right place, the tegra 3 with the companion core will be better on battery life.

Could be wrong on that last point but seems to make sense.

3. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    According to gsm arena the 2 cpu's are evenly matched & its only the sammys gpu that makes the sgs3 faster, wait till the 12 core gpu of our phones ties in as well & then see the results.
    Although the sgs3 has a removable battery this also makes the phone weaker than the One x, plus don't forget external sd cards always run slower than internal memory.

4. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I wasn't fussed about the SGS3. Even if it had mopped the floor spec wise, I'm delighted with the One X.

EarlyMon and michiel.van.wessem like this.
  5. anoniemouse

None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    I prefer Htc sense overlay which even Samsung have admitted is the best, i myself know i made the right choice with the One x

6. Oridus

Oridus Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have been a Samsung fan as of late, but it seems like Sammy has taken htc's place as releasing several phones that are very similar with not so booming improvements. I'm happy that the casing is shit because I've been looking for a reason to come back to HTC and this solidifies my choice.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

7. Casanunda

Casanunda Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    Male
    Technical Sales
    Norwich, England
    The wireless charging sounds nice but it's probably a bit gimmicky in practice...

8. ukplay

ukplay Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Boring old accountant
    Completely under-whelmed with SGS3. certainly nothing like the step up the S2 was, and i am delighted with my One X. My wife's contract is up in august, and was (previously) considering an SGS3 (to have One X and SGS3 - how lucky heh!). Now i'm not so sure. Will never consider a crApple so what to upgrade the missus' contract to now??!!

9. galaxyian

galaxyian Newbie
    None

Mar 21, 2012
    i had the galaxy gio and hated the touchwiz interface. sense looks more stunning to me and i'm glad i bought myself a htc one x instead of waiting for the galaxy s III. personally i love the design of the one x more than the desing of the sIII.

10. eddiewawa

eddiewawa Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    IT 'Anal'yst
    Leeds
    lol yeah touch wiz...*shudders*

defo glad we stuck with HTC on this one...x....*ba dum tschhhhh*

i am curious to know how much the battery life differs between both devices i.e. how much that additional 300mah on the battery and the sammy core lasts vs our setup...

11. darka5sa5sin

darka5sa5sin Guest
    None
    As I was an iPhone addict and had the opportunity of an unlocked HTC One X for free i made the jump to Android and was planning on using the HTC One X as a bit of an experiment until the Samsung Galaxy S3 cam out and if i liked the Android system was going to take the plunge and get it but now i have seen what it is and does i am completely underwhelmed... Have Samsung taken a tip from Apple for updating its hardware?

I am going to stick with my awesome X thank you very much Mr Samsung!!

12. michiel.van.wessem

None

Haha, I am glad I am not the only one who thinks touchwhiz is a horrible oberlay, and that is pure on the look and feel of it .. nothing to say about the name itself. ;)

13. JKOH

JKOH Newbie
    None

May 31, 2011
    No regrets for choosing One X.

Personally don't like the Samsung S2 because it feels plasticky, from the various videos and photos, the S3 looks quite the same as well, especially the back cover. The only main plus with S2 then was the better screen display compared to the entire range of HTC phones until the arrival of One X.
    The screen resolution of the One X and the new S3 specs is identical now and I don't think there will be any great difference between this two flagship phones although they are of different screen type, SLCD vs Amoled.
    The bigger, replacable battery and SD card for the S3 may be a preference for some but for me, I am happy with the One X battery life and I normally charge my phone when available, in the office, car, at home, seldom having a low battery situation. 32gb of internal memory is more then sufficient for me as I only used about 6gb of my 8gb SD card on my Desire after 18 months.
    The One X camera is the best phone camera I have so far.

14. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm interested in that too. Apparently, under load the Samsung is more power efficient, but it would be interesting to see how they compare when idle. Thanks to the companion cube core, I lose virtually nothing when I'm not using it so I would like to see how that compares.

15. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    I wasn't too worried about the S3 simply because I know I'm not usually a fan of Samsung's hardware, and I'm not a touchwiz fan either. I do like that there is expandable storage, but I think I'll be able to do without. After watching the hands on videos and stuff the only real thing I want is some of the "nature inspired" ringtones which I'll grab from a system dump once it's available.

16. anoniemouse

None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    The obvious thing is going to be the screen will draw far less power than our One x ones but then you get the crap pentile matrix, at least we got the best screens going on our phones. I think the one x is going to be much better in standby mode for using power thanks to the single core for low power things, listening to music only uses the single core too.

17. webbo254

webbo254 Newbie
    None

Apr 20, 2012
    I wasn't too fussed about it I knew I had made the right choice with the One X I prefer HTC sense to Samsung's and after the phone has been revealed I don't feel disappointed at all love the One X

18. Its_Red

Its_Red Member
    None

Apr 16, 2010
    Male
    Due to damaged knees whilst in the Royal Navy work
    Up a hill, Mid Wales
    Like others here I was little apprehensive that I may have made my purchase of the 1X a little early. I was however so impressed with my Desire I thought I would stick with HTC and I'm really glad I did. Looking at the benchmarks the SGIII is coming out on top admittedly (it does look pretty impressive) but boy did they get the styling wrong. I'm not a Samsung hater or a HTC fanboy I am just particular about style and the internal hardware and to me the 1X has both. Fingers crossed future updates will unlock some more of the power of this beautiful phone.

19. jjeff444

jjeff444 Member
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    US
    i was underwhelmed with the S3. since samsung chose to do a show for the S3 and built up hype for it. i expected to be blown away. i wasnt.

that said, the fact that the S3 has a removable battery (that i can get an extended battery as an option) and an sd card, that would make me easily choose the S3.

oh why oh why couldn't the One X have removable batt and sd card. :( i even prefer the lcd screen to amoled. man i would of adored the x if it just had those two features. oh well. :eek:

and yes i know most of you dont care about battery. i've already debated with enough people here. :fight:

i think its crucial to have options in the battery dept.

20. nettecris

nettecris Newbie
    None

May 4, 2012
    construction
    newjersy
    Now that I have seen the galaxy s3 not that impress only thing going for it is that they have given you choice of internal data 16 gigs 32 gigs and 64 gigs with the exception to add additional storeage. Still thinking about getting the one x. Been using the lg arena. Been out off contract for a year now been waiting for one x. Wife has the galaxy captivate and she switching to the galaxy s3 but for me the galaxy is not my style of device.

21. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    I think Samsung was pushing more towards the features and user experience. Two features I like. The pop up play feature and the ability to just put the phone to your ears to answer a call coming in on your phone if you was playing a game or browsing on the web. I think these features make sense and very useful.

Android26 likes this.
  22. coney

coney Member
    None

Apr 28, 2010
    It doesn't matter for me, as they will both be superseded in about 6 months by everyone elses offerings.
    Removable battery would have been nice, but only for replacement when in a few years or if it became faulty. I had an extended battery on my Hero, it looked like a brick with it, and I never carried the spare.
    I think the pics I have seen of the S3 look ugly. Like an old genio.
    One X is a lovely looking thing

23. nickkr

nickkr Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 4, 2010
    I guess you could let your good lady make up her own mind as it seems from your posting she will have little option but to go with your choice ;)

Anyway ..... I'm on the cusp of upgrading my Desire and the One X is top of my list. However the much debated non removable battery still bugs me. All those in love with their shiny new X who "don't care" about the fixed battery may have a different opinion when after about 300 recharge cycles ( a year?) the phone starts to go phut by lunchtime. This happened to my Desire and the battery was changed easily and cheaply after about year. Of lesser importance is being able to carry a charged spare when going "off grid" but still something I would miss.

This will make me at least consider the S3 and it's a shame HTC haven't ( for me ) made the X a no brainer.

24. El Presidente

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Charge it properly and you'll get much longer than that out of it. You drastically shorten the life of Lithium batteries if you do full charge/discharge cycles. The original battery in my Desire HD is still going strong after 18 months. :)

25. spanktastik

spanktastik Lurker
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Both phones are amazing, personally had trouble choosing between sensation and the GS2 as well. In the end I decided I liked the S2's GPU+screen a little bit better then the Sensations.

The S3 seems to be faster again, could care less tbh. My new phone must have an amazing screen. So I will compare the 2 screens and base my choice of that.

Android26 likes this.
Tags: