1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General One year old battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DCLawyer68, Jun 8, 2011.

1. DCLawyer68

DCLawyer68 Newbie
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    Attorney At Law
    Washington, DC area
    I've had my Incredible for one year. It seems like the battery runs down much faster, even with the phone screen off (phone on with black screen). Previously, I could get through the day using 1/2 the battery, but now I go from fully charge to yellow by the afternoon with just checking email a few times.

Does battery life diminish after a year? Would buying a new battery potentially solve my problem?

Advertisement

2. answerman

answerman Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 20, 2010
    Appleton, WI
    It certainly does, and yes a new battery would solve it. There are a lot of factors that affect the longevity of a lithium-ion battery (not the life between charges, but the lifespan of the battery before it does not hold a charge) but I've found that with typical use (charging once a day) a year is about right. What happens is that the battery, as it ages, does not charge to the same capacity as it did when it was new.

From Tektronix:

The typical estimated life of a Lithium-Ion battery is about two to three years or
    300 to 500 charge cycles, whichever occurs first. One charge cycle is a period
    of use from fully charged, to fully discharged, and fully recharged again. Use a
    two to three year life expectancy for batteries that do not run through complete
    charge cycles.

Rechargeable Lithium-Ion batteries have a limited life and will gradually lose
    their capacity to hold a charge. This loss of capacity (aging) is irreversible. As
    the battery loses capacity, the length of time it will power the product (run time)
    decreases.

medwa, DCLawyer68 and sweeds like this.
  3. valariem

valariem Lurker
    None

Jun 14, 2011
    texas
    Ok I have an issue also but not sure where to put it. My battery sucks too but also when I plug my usb charger in my SD card un-mounts...any ideas??

4. Podivin

Podivin Android Expert
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Check under menu > settings > connect to PC > default connection type.
    I suspect you have it set to 'disk drive', when the SD card mounts to the PC it unmounts from the phone. Change this default to 'charge only' to see if the problem goes away.

5. ACD168

ACD168 Android Expert
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    try calibrating the battery. usinging either recovery, or an app from market.

6. jayDInc

jayDInc Member
    None

Jun 22, 2010
    There is a good reason that GM only charges/discharges the Volt battery between about 30% and 70% capacity. Charging to 100% and running it down to near 0% will shorten its life.

My solution, I bought the extended battery (official one) and charge up to 85%, usually recharging when it's between 20 and 35%. I use Tasker to alert me when the charge hits 85%.

7. phil325

phil325 Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2011
    Florida
    i've also noticed that my 1yr old battery is horrible. i can probably get to the early afternoon (2-3pm) with normal use (slight internet browsing/email checking/mainly sms use) and it'll be yellow :/ thinking of buying a new battery online very soon but it's a shame that i have to buy a replacement battery so soon

8. drdoom

drdoom Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    College Student
    North Carolina