• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Oneclick root for Ally 2.2.1 Froyo is avaiable

Soooo, I read through this entire thread and am confused. It seemed SOC 1.6.5 worked for 2.2.1 Ally's in the beginning of the thread, then it turned sour and it is now no good for 2.2.1 (accding to Flick159).

Please provide some clarification. I have tried Universal Androot & z4root with no success and am anxious to get to root because my Ally is sooo sluggish and unresponsive after OTA-ing to 2.2.1

Thank you much in advance

Upvote 0
Soooo, I read through this entire thread and am confused. It seemed SOC 1.6.5 worked for 2.2.1 Ally's in the beginning of the thread, then it turned sour and it is now no good for 2.2.1 (accding to Flick159).

Please provide some clarification. I have tried Universal Androot & z4root with no success and am anxious to get to root because my Ally is sooo sluggish and unresponsive after OTA-ing to 2.2.1

Thank you much in advance
I used 1.6.3
It works fine.
Just follow the directions.
ROOTY TOOTY FRESH & FRUITY for Froyo. Heres the XDA link http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=803682

Heres a Very good Video Tutorial of this Method by THEUNLOCKR.COM
http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/11/how-to-root-your-android-phone-superoneclick-method/
If you get stuck it can help you through it. :D

Upvote 0
Its just highly unrecommended. it completely breaks the property service, which mean DNS, configs in the *.prop files the system uses, and other services can/will be messed up. Again for shits and giggles...

Ok guys that are using SOC or considering using this read:

SOC uses a new exploit called psneuter not rageagainstthecage (even though is still named rage).

// psneuter.c, written by scotty2.

// neuter the android property service.

// ashmem allows us to restrict permissions for a page further, but not relax them.
// adb relies on the ability to read ro.secure to know whether to drop its privileges or not;
// if it can't read the ro.secure property (because perhaps it couldn't map the ashmem page... :)
// then it will come up as root under the assumption that ro.secure is off.
// this will have the unfortunate side effect of rendering any of the bionic userspace that relies on the property
// service and things like dns broken.
// thus, we will want to use this, see if we can fix the misc partition, and downgrade the firmware as a whole to something more root friendly.

Read the above from the source code to it. For those of you who don't know what bionc is its the android libc.so or the C library that virtually every lib.so on the phone is linked with. The intention of this exploit was to be able to get root ONLY to downgrade the firmware version on the G2 as it screws up the property service.

For those that may be skeptical about this being the exploit used I'm sure you saw the text "property service neutered" when you ran it

That comes from line 94 in code
Code:
[COLOR=black]printf([COLOR=#dd1144]"property service neutered.\n"[/COLOR]);[/COLOR]

full psneuter source code is here https://github.com/tmzt/g2root-kmod/blob/master/scotty2/psneuter/psneuter.c

I feel like drellisdee's post explained it perfectly why you shouldn't use it.

If you are truly interested.
just do IT: android property system

Upvote 0
Its just highly unrecommended. it completely breaks the property service, which mean DNS, configs in the *.prop files the system uses, and other services can/will be messed up. Again for shits and giggles...
Question lets say you did root by SOC..... but now you go into Recovery and Wipe everything..... Ok Now you put on a Nandroid of someones phone who Rooted Tridents way onto yours. Does this not in effect make it done as Tridents method (as far as root is concerned anyway)?
Or are we talking Some file in the phone that is not touchable by a recovery wipe or something? Just trying to figure it out.

It just seems to me the phone is kind of like a computer. It has your main HD and then on the Mother Board it has a Bios.

Our Bios is pretty much our Recovery? Right?

And While were at it Where is the Radio on this thing? Is That somwhere on the Internal or some other internal I dont know about.... Any way I know thats alot but I am tryin to better understand.

Reactions: EZ-SKIPPY
Upvote 0
Hey this keeps hanging on "Waiting for Device." I'm using the newest version and I got nothing. My phone is Froyo 2.2.1 and I have the LG drivers installed. Debugging mode on, USB mass storage off, and I'm using the rageagainstthecage exploit. I followed the directions exactly and I'm not sure why this is not working correctly.

Upvote 0
Hey this keeps hanging on "Waiting for Device." I'm using the newest version and I got nothing. My phone is Froyo 2.2.1 and I have the LG drivers installed. Debugging mode on, USB mass storage off, and I'm using the rageagainstthecage exploit. I followed the directions exactly and I'm not sure why this is not working correctly.
Go here http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/11/how-to-root-your-android-phone-superoneclick-method/

This is a great video Tutorial.
Now however whats even better is its troubleshoot guide below the video.
One of the trouble shoot items is this:
Image7.jpg

This is what worked for me.

Upvote 0
Ok guys that are using SOC or considering using this read:

SOC uses a new exploit called psneuter not rageagainstthecage (even though is still named rage).

// psneuter.c, written by scotty2.

// neuter the android property service.

// ashmem allows us to restrict permissions for a page further, but not relax them.
// adb relies on the ability to read ro.secure to know whether to drop its privileges or not;
// if it can't read the ro.secure property (because perhaps it couldn't map the ashmem page... :)
// then it will come up as root under the assumption that ro.secure is off.
// this will have the unfortunate side effect of rendering any of the bionic userspace that relies on the property
// service and things like dns broken.
// thus, we will want to use this, see if we can fix the misc partition, and downgrade the firmware as a whole to something more root friendly.

Read the above from the source code to it. For those of you who don't know what bionc is its the android libc.so or the C library that virtually every lib.so on the phone is linked with. The intention of this exploit was to be able to get root ONLY to downgrade the firmware version on the G2 as it screws up the property service.

For those that may be skeptical about this being the exploit used I'm sure you saw the text "property service neutered" when you ran it

That comes from line 94 in code
Code:
[COLOR=black]printf([COLOR=#dd1144]"property service neutered.\n"[/COLOR]);[/COLOR]

full psneuter source code is here https://github.com/tmzt/g2root-kmod/blob/master/scotty2/psneuter/psneuter.c

From the Creator of SOC... Short Fuse:
"It will kill a mapping in the memory to the properties. ADB checks whether it has root permissions. This neuters the property service (aka psneuter). When you reboot, it should be fine. The is because /dev/ashmem/system_properties isn't an actual file you're deleting. You're deleting a mapping. It's recreated when the system reboots (really when system_properties is initialized again.)

The problem with the G2 is that you can't inject Superuser because the way objects are written to /system in the G2.

The root method for all other phones is:
Neuter property service
ADB into device with root
Install su and superuser into /system
Reboot (to fix property service)

With the G2, on step #4, you'll lose what you did in step #3 and won't have root. (since writing to actual /system is constricted by the mmc).

So what you do is

Neuter property service
ADB into device with root
Downgrade

Since rebooting the device loses your root, then you simply downgrade instead. This goes around trying to fix the mmc issue and just reflashes a rom that'll play nicer with /system access.

If you understood how ashmem worked, you'd understand that you're not permanently crippling anything. What Scott is saying in his source code is: "We have root in G2, but we don't have anything that relies on the property service like the DNS. But that should be okay, since we don't need it to downgrade." Remember that rebooting isn't an option for rooting the G2."

Reactions: dautley
Upvote 0
This just isn't working. I installed PDAnet and that didn't help. I'm working on getting the adb thing to work, but it isn't working. I'm following This tutorial to get that installed and it just isn't working right. All I want to do is remove the stupid bloatware crap that Verizon put's on my phone and it's just so f-ing complicated.

EDIT: I installed the adb device thing and it's still not working. It's still hanging on waiting for device. Is there a z4root that works with 2.2.1 yet? That would be a lot easier than this crap.

Upvote 0
This just isn't working. I installed PDAnet and that didn't help. I'm working on getting the adb thing to work, but it isn't working. I'm following This tutorial to get that installed and it just isn't working right. All I want to do is remove the stupid bloatware crap that Verizon put's on my phone and it's just so f-ing complicated.

EDIT: I installed the adb device thing and it's still not working. It's still hanging on waiting for device. Is there a z4root that works with 2.2.1 yet? That would be a lot easier than this crap.
Did you go to the tutorial that I posted. It really has some good ideas to get it working.
http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/11/how-to-root-your-android-phone-superoneclick-method/

Image8.jpg

Upvote 0

Make sure you reboot after installing SOC, I was not showing root at first and after rebooting superuser was working properly.

DZ

Upvote 0
I have Windows Professional SP 2. It's on a bootcamp partition on my Macbook. I don't think that would be an issue, but could it be?

"If you run Microsoft Windows XP, install .NET Framework v2.0 or above"

Is .NET Framework v2.0 installed? What version of windows is it? Assuming its XP SP2 use this link for .NETv2.0 http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en#SystemRequirements Not to familiar with Macs running bootcamp.

Upvote 0
I have .NET 2.0 It's needed for most of the Fallout New Vegas mods I am running.

Running Windows on bootcamp is just like running it on a regular PC. I just noticed that it is recognizing my phone as "LG Mobile Modem" or something like that. I installed the drives from LG's site, would that be effecting it?

Upvote 0
you are all starting to scare me out of this. so tell me. will this be good for my moms ally ota 2.2 never before rooted. all i want to do with hers is be able to flash some decent roms for her so that she will stop complaining about how crappy this phone is. (also if i bootloop this device will i not be able to go to recovery or something for some reason?) ive used tridents guide for my own ally but would not want to do it again ESPECIALLY because my only windows pc has been...compromised....but im using a mac now ill be able to tolerate a single app on wine. also she does not have an sd, she is borowing mine for when she needs it. just incase the recovery is stored on the sd card or something ******ed tell me whatever i need to know that i dont know.

Upvote 0
Nope!!
Already using this.
I Have Frunisher 0.1 flashed on my Phone

LOL

I was also able to boot into Fast Boot using Quick boot.

Dautley: I first Downloaded Clockwork then Flashed from that to AmonRa
how do you have frunisher are you beta testing or alpha testing can you tell me how far along this rom is? havent heard much about it id like an update on how its comin along :) or if you cant release info about thats ok jw

Upvote 0
how do you have frunisher are you beta testing or alpha testing can you tell me how far along this rom is? havent heard much about it id like an update on how its comin along :) or if you cant release info about thats ok jw
Yes its in Beta. Very Snappy and fully tricked.
As to a release date that is not up to me. All I know is it has a Killer Kernal that beats what is out there currently.
Deffinately worth the wait. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones