• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Online backup - to remote server, or cloud - what is everyone using?

I don't back mine up........livin' on the edge!!

lol - braver man than me!! :)

I only mentioned Dropbox as they seem to do a straight/direct backup of the phone, but I suppose I could backup to the laptop then push that to an online backup service.

what pros and cons are there with Dropbox?

I don't actually use any online storage for backing my phone up. I guess I should, as it's free space. I've always found Dropbox to be good... Currently sitting on a little over 30GB of space too :)

Biggest pro is that it's free and, for every person that uses your referral link (which I put in my signature), you both get extra space... used to be 250MB, but I think it's now 500MB :)

Thanks for your reply BTW.

No worries :)

Upvote 0
Just wondering what others use to backup your phone (ok most dont care, well until they lose the data:p)

I have considered dropbox but does anyone else use it or use any other service?

Nandroid backups, Titanium Backup and copies of my SD card, all synced to Dropbox.

I am now up to 78GB of Dropbox space so i'm pretty well covered :)

Reactions: dwalkercouk
Upvote 0
How much is that per year?
Any problems with it?

Cheers for your reply:)

It's free for me :) I got a lot of referrals and got some free space when I turned camera upload on (You can go in the settings and from there is an option to upload your your photos from your phone straight to dropbox. I think for every 500MB you upload you get 1GB free or something similar.)

When I bought my Galaxy S3 they have a deal where you get 50GB free space for two years :) So that's why I have so much.

No problems with it so far, transfer speeds are good and it's very useful for keeping backups on as I don't trust my laptop to survive another couple of years :p

Upvote 0
I don't back mine up........livin' on the edge!!

Let me quantify this....

I do a nandroid backup on the phone when switching ROMs.
I don't really have anything on my phone that I don't already have somewhere on my PC.
All my contacts/pics etc are backed up to google and lookout. I don't feel the need to have any additional backups.

Doesn't sound so rock 'n' roll now :(

Upvote 0
I have actually have no nandroids as of now , seeing how my ARHD became randomly buggy... ( mabye h/w fault)

I have backed up apps via TB , and some pictures on DropBox ( 32GB ) .

When my PC is all set up , I would probably be making monthly backups of everything on my SD card (32GB as its getting full pretty easily.

I also have a 50GB Box account, but I never really use it. I don't use Google Drive as I heard that Google 'owns' the files you upload.

(sidenote) My school said they might buy 12 Microsoft Surface Tablets for the languages section for e-books and dictionaries.... I might even try to suggest the Android root route ( sorry , too much on my mind )

Upvote 0
The only stuff that I would have on my phone that would be lost if it was stolen are, possibly, some pictures and, again possibly, an additional contact that hadn't yet been backed up to my PC. I regard the PC as much safer for all my data (and the PC is backed up to a USB drive) and it is the 'master' for contacts/calendar/everything else ....

The only thing I use the 'cloud' for is syncing Microsoft OneNote between my PC and phone.

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones