1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

online/offline dictionary can't show pronunciation symbols correctly

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by furuth, Aug 10, 2012.

1. furuth

furuth Lurker

Hi, I'm new here. I've found that htc evo 4g running 2.1 can't display the online/offline dictionary pronunciation symbols correctly. For example, please type in 'forget definition' on the Search screen. It shows 'forget' on many online dictionaries. Please go to each of them. The pronunciation symbols are not displayed correctly, e.g. you don't see the stress symbol, the symbol for the 'a' as in 'about', etc. This also happens to the offline versions. I've downloaded the MW offline dictionary and it has the same problem.

Is it only my evo 4g or you also see the problem? Any way it can be fixed? Pls help. Many thx!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Not 100% sure of what you mean but like, I use dictionary.com app
    What dictionary are you having issues with?

3. furuth

furuth Lurker

thanks for the reply.

please type in 'forget definition' on the Internet Search screen. It shows the word 'forget' on many online dictionaries. Please go to any of them. Normally, we should see the pronunciation symbols of 'forget' as /fərˈget/. But what is on the screen are not displayed correctly, e.g. you don't see the stress symbol (between 'r' and 'g' as in /fərˈget/) and the symbol for the 'o' (between 'f' and 'r' as in /fərˈget/), etc. These missing symbols are showed as a small rectangle which of course means nothing.

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

Ah, Now I see....it says f, then a square symbol, then an r, then a square symbol, then get.
    huh, never noticed that before....guess its not only you, its me also:thinking:
    I even tried my Maxthon browser and it was the same.

ocnbrze likes this.
  5. furuth

furuth Lurker

Yes, that is what I saw too. So it is confirmed that EVO 4G has some display problem. Again, it happens to the offline dictionaries as well. I guess it has something to do with the decoding of the pronunciation symbols.

I've also tried it on iPhone 4S which doesn't have this problem. All pronunciation symbols are displayed correctly on iPhone 4S.

Thank you for the help. Now I hope someone/HTC has some resolution to it.

ocnbrze likes this.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews