1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Online safety for my child?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JDJackson, Mar 31, 2012.

1. JDJackson

JDJackson Lurker

Hello, I've just joined this forum. I've looked around to see if there are already threads on this subject but I haven't found any; if I've missed one please direct me to it. :) For some background, continue reading, if you're only interested in the question then please skip to the bottom of the post.

My daughter is 12 years old, and has been saving her allowance for many months in order to buy a tablet. This is the tablet she has her eye on, and she nearly has enough money for it: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M009S-Capacitive-SANDWICH-Responsive/dp/B006M07X34/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

My question, as one who has never used an Android device, is what options will I have for limiting her online access, what apps she uses, monitoring her internet usage, etc? Right now she goes online on my Windows 7 PC, and there are plenty of software options so that I can limit time online, allow computer use within certain hours, block websites, keep track of all websites visited and keystrokes pressed; basically anything I need to do, I can.

Right now since she only uses the computer which is in our living room, there aren't many issues with what sites she might go on, people she might talk to, and so on. We have Google safe search locked, YouTube's safe mode locked, and she only has user level privileges on her account so she can't install or remove a program without my approval. I have a keylogging program installed and every few weeks I do a random check. I have her windows account set to allow her only on for an hour at a time and for a maximum of two hours a day. This generally works pretty well and she is well behaved, a few days ago she even asked me to block her from a game/chatting website which she likes to go on but doesn't feel has an age-appropriate community for her, which obviously made me very proud because once I checked the website I saw that it was indeed inappropriate for her and she had realized that on her own. None of the monitoring/limiting/blocking that I do is secret, she knows about it all.

Now that she will be having a tablet of her own, some things will change. She'll be able to use it in her bedroom, and I'm not going to start living in there with her so I can constantly monitor what she's doing. I could create a rule of no internet use while she's in her room to be sure, but then she won't be able to play any online games, send emails, etc., so I think that is too broad and eliminates things which I'm fine with her doing.

Basically I suppose my questions is will I be able to do the following things, either with built-in Android functionality or with apps?

1) will I be able to limit internet use to certain hours?
    2) will I be able to block websites?
    3) will I be able to view keystroke/screenshot logs?
    4) will I be able to control what apps are installed?
    5) will I be able to remotely access the tablet to view it or control it?

Thank you for any help you can give. :)

Advertisement

2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Welcome aboard!

You might want to give this product a look.

Mobile Security Personal Edition - Trend Micro USA

Now here's where I try to give you some solid device. Any restrictions you impose, can be circumvented pretty easily.

This goes with your PC as well.

Any security restrictions you put on a computer with "parental control" software I can defeat in seconds. With the aid of Google, it's not hard to figure out how this is done. The worst part is, you won't even know she's defeating your restrictions unless you caught her red handed.

Even at a very young age, I was able to defeat any kind of digital locking mechanisms my parents tried to impose on me. I wouldn't doubt your daughter would be able to do the same, if she isn't doing it already. I am saying this because I wouldn't depend on software for things like this, especially when she is going to be venturing out into the real world with friends soon and perhaps her friends parents aren't going to be so strict. If you like, I can explain how I would do things if I had a daughter to keep safe.

Frisco, JDJackson and AmneonX like this.
  3. JDJackson

JDJackson Lurker

Yes, once you have physical access to hardware most things are more or less easy to get around if you know how, but my daughter spends most of her online time dressing up characters and looking at pictures of puppies; she's not a computer hacker and I trust her well enough that I'm not worried about her going to great lengths trying to circumvent any blocks. We're not adversaries, what I'm concerned about is things she may accidentally find and things jerks may say to her online, as well as having apps to assist me in steering her in the right direction.

Thanks for your advice, anyway. I've also just recalled that I can block websites through my router, so that part is taken care of at least.

4. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

Yeah if you can setup router blocks that would be a great idea. However, when she takes the tablet out with her (if you let her go out) those restrictions will not be in place. I'd give that trendmicro a try thought. I still haven't seen any VNC servers for Android (I've been looking for some myself).

If you want to get a bit more technical, there are some root methods that might be able to help you. With a no-name tablet though, who knows how hard it will be to root. =/

Frisco and JDJackson like this.
  5. Jerry-rigged

Jerry-rigged Android Enthusiast

I don't have a lot to add other than-

1 - as said, blocks can be bypassed if they are motivated.
    2-if you raise them right, they will be less likely to go and do things you don't want them to.
    3 - sounds like your girl is on the right path with #2, good job so far.

IMHO, raising them right is more important that parental controls on the PC. But then, my oldest is also 12 (boy) so that opinion may change is a few years... :) :eek: :)

JDJackson likes this.
  6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

I don't think AirDroid is what she was looking for. AirDroid allows remote access(as many other applications), but not in the way she requested. The first problem with AirDroid is it has to be actively running (and if you know how Android works, this could be a problem, especially on a budget tablet). It's not registered as a system service, so it can quit at any time.

It's not silent running either... and it's easy uninstalled. It has to be manually turned on every time the parent wants to remotely access the device, which defeats the purpose of the application. Finally, it doesn't allow VNC, so there isn't any remote VIEWING of what the child is doing, so basically the entire app is useless in that regard.

Thanks for pointing out a really neat app though!

EDIT:

Just went through the parental control apps suggested, and based on the reviews most of them don't work. The Kaspersky one looks like it has the most promise, but some reviews say it feels unfinished. FWIW Kaspersky puts out a lot of great products, and no doubt when this app is finished it will be a great application.

It is even taking advantage of the device administrator option, which will allow many advanced features, and perhaps even a VNC in the future, but no promises. At this point in time, if *I* had to pick, it would either be TrendNet or Kaspersky.

I'd stay away from the other apps. Lot's of crashing and soft bricking being reported.

I hope this helps!

Frisco likes this.
  7. duncan12

duncan12 Newbie

IOWA likes this.
  8. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

9. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants

No problem! Thanks for being here! :hello::D

10. JDJackson

JDJackson Lurker

I eventually went with Kaspersky Parental Control (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kaspersky.pctrl), which is a great app - thanks, Amneon. It's very easy to use and is completely hassle-free, much better than any similar software I've seen on a PC. Every new app which is downloaded must have a password put in for first run, so I check it out and then approve or not. I'm very pleased to have it as an extra line of defense because some apps have really unexpected things in them. For example, an app for nutrition tips also had a chatroom included which was intended to be used to ask others for nutrition tips, but which was actually just used by a constant stream of people wanting cybering and nude pictures.

For remote viewing and control, I'm using Webkey (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.webkey), which I have less to say about because I rarely use it, but it seems easy to use and effective for what I need.

11. cvms100

cvms100 Newbie

Pretty useful stuff in this thread, definitely a good read.

12. andyk85

andyk85 Newbie