• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

online tv apps

Network TV doesn't seem to like Android it seems. I just read an article the other day saying that NBC and ABC are now blocking Google TV. Which that doesn't bode well. Hulu has apps for Apple phones.....ONLY....I think. I don't recall that they even have a BB app. I suppose you could try to surf to their portal using the browser but that would probably be ugly.

There's Ustream for general streaming video. But when it works it's still not all that great. I think one of the heavyweights just bought Ustream though.....like Google maybe even. I'm sure someone will correct me. So that may become an option.

In short, I don't know of too much other than TV.com and as you say it's CBS centric. TV on Android kind of sucks at the moment.

Upvote 0
Thanks those are the ones I was coming up with google tv and the other one. My desktop downloaded a program that basically slow but surely in a matter of minutes shut down my desktop which records my tv shows weekly so Im have withdrawals and trying to find another option till I get my computer to boot up and feel better.

Upvote 0
I know this is going to be a pricey suggestion but every now and then different models of SlingBox will come up for sale on Woot. Usually around $80-90 dollars....somewhere in there. Then you can buy the Android app....I think it's $24.99 or in that neighborhood. So for around or slightly over $100 you can have your cable channels streaming on your phone. I've considered it myself.

Upvote 0
I watch TV through the clicker.com website, which is sort of a portal leading you to free and paid shows on network web sites and on the web sites of various cable channels. It makes it easy to find TV shows and web-only video. You can save a playlist of your favorite series and Clicker will email you when a new episode is added.

I'm running an Eris with stock Android 2.1, so I don't have full Flash video. Instead I load Clicker in the Skyfire browser. When Skyfire detects Flash video on a web page, it loads it onto the developers' servers, then pushes it back to you in a format that will play on your phone.

I watched last week's South Park this way on my bus ride to work this morning. Streamed smoothly the whole trip.

Upvote 0
What apps are you all using to watch tv shows online. I got TV.com from the market but it's only certain broadcasting stations such as CBS. Are there any other out there for the HTC Droid Eris for NBC and ABC stations?
Look in the market for "Jetflicks" it's a subscription service but it's THE BEST. It doesn't stream it's more like an "on demand" thing. They have tons of shows both network and cable, HBO series Show Time series and every show has pretty much every episode and every season. Totally worth the money ;)

If you found this info helpfull please click the "Thanks" below

Reactions: Jazzy79
Upvote 0
I found that there is a "clicker.com" app in The Market, but all the comments say it doesn't work, as in there are no videos for it, so I didn't bother trying it. Maybe someone else has?

So I also checked into that Skyfire browser, but it wants access to everything! [Location, network comm (understandable), internet history & bookmarks, SD storage, phone calls, system tools (read sys log files, set preferred apps...).] Is all that really necessary?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones