1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Only 1 or 2 bars signal strength inside house

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by karman, Apr 22, 2011.

1. karman

karman Newbie

Feb 22, 2011
    I have been noticing that when I am inside my house I usually have only 1 or 2 bars. Go outside the house and have 3 or 4 bars. ATT has a Micro Cell that is installed in your house to put outgoing calls over the internet. While in the local ATT store complaining about my signal strength I found out some facts about our Inspire. I use to have a Moto Razor that had real good signal strength in my house. Store manager said that Moto is one of 3 top phone manuf that have strong antennas in their phones. Took that to mean the HTC phones don't have as strong an antenna. ATT offered me the Micro Cell at a $200 cost less $100 mail in rebate and reduce monthly fee of 14.99 from 19.99. I declined. Some customers are getting a letter from ATT offering the Micro Cell free. My neighbor across the street from me got such a letter and I installed their Micro Cell today. Guess will learn to live with Inspire.

Advertisement

2. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    I have a Moto Razr, and an Inspire (upgrade).

I have the same signal strength on the Razr as I have on the Inspire.

3 bars usually (sometimes 2 depending on area of the house).

3. Kopsis

Kopsis Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Systems Engineer
    Tampa, FL
    Unless your RAZR does HSPA, you're comparing apples and oranges. Force your Inspire into EDGE mode and then compare signal strength.

4. greg4android

greg4android Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Retail
    Middle Tennessee
    We ONLY have EDGE in this hick-town.

5. Kopsis

Kopsis Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Systems Engineer
    Tampa, FL
    You forgot to add the "... you insensitive clod!" :D Ok, maybe that's just for Slashdot posts :)

You have my sympathy, but my suggestion was directed at the OP who is seeing a difference between the RAZR and Inspire.

6. colnago

colnago Android Expert
    None

Nov 17, 2009
    "Bars levels" are relative...every company reports differently. My LG G2x reports 2 out of 4 bars (half strength?) when the dBm level is borderline "no signal at -107dBm. Where as my mifi unit will report 2 out of 5 bars (less than half?) but have a -89dBm signal. I'll take less bars with higher dBm anyday.

FWIW, my T-Mobile branded Motorola Defy, which has AT&T's 3G radio(s), consistently gets 10-15dBM better signal on AT&T, than my Inspire. Of all the HTC phones I've experienced, on AT&T and Verizon, they all seem to be more susceptible to interference than other phones

7. AvengerBB

AvengerBB Member
    None

Mar 31, 2010
    My inspire gets a worse signal than my old captivate. That's the only thing the captivate did better though...

8. Kuhns787

Kuhns787 Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 1, 2010
    Female
    Oregon
    How do you force the phone into EDGE mode? I ditched my Inspire and went back to my Blackberry. I miss the inspire and would love to go back however I too live in a hick town (lol) and get poor signal strength. My friend has the same phone but always has 1 or 2 more bars of signal strength. I know it is not the phone because I tried two different ones with the same outcome. Any help would be great I would love to go back to the inspire!

9. kdeerman

kdeerman Lurker
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    can anyone tell me how to force the 'edge' mode?
    Thanks