1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Only 2 days on one charge, is it really that bad?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ericmtnbkr, Jan 9, 2012.

1. ericmtnbkr

ericmtnbkr Member
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Railcar Design Engineer
    Portland, OR
    So my Dinc2's battery was dead after only two days. Well, not dead, but in the red zone and with a plug in phone warning.

I had 3g on for maybe 30min total in that entire time, wifi for about 1.5hr, talked for about 30min, sent 2 or 3 text messages and took about 8 pictures. I have brightness set on the lowest setting, screen off in 1 min. The phone is about 10 days old and I've already had to charge it 3 times.

Can the battery really be that bad?

Advertisement

2. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    Uh, is this your first smartphone?

3. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    3 times in 10 days is doing very well with the light usage you are doing. This phone has one of the better battery life of the Android phones on the market. My phone gets charged every day.

4. cmybliss

cmybliss Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    The Abarat
    Welcome. As others have stated yes. Totally normal. The Inc 2 is a marked improvement over my orig Inc. Which would often need a charge at 3/4 of the day in order to make it through. The 2 is usually only down to 70% or so by bed time, so way better. I still charge every night.

5. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Android Expert
    None

Jun 7, 2010
    Two days is quite good if you ask me.

6. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut?
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, I remember my old Nokia brick that got a week of battery life, signal where there was no tower for miles, and it even sent text messages and held all my phone numbers in it!
    I suppose you gotta trade a little battery life for all the power of these phones, but it is soooo worth it. You'll find little to no other smart phones out there with better battery life than the DInc2 as long as you're using it right.
    On that note, if you want to squeeze out every last drop of battery, check out the battery saving thread stickied at the top of this forum. Lots of great ideas in there.

7. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    New York
    I still fail to see the need for anything over 18 hours of battery life. How hard is it to plug it in when you go to sleep? To me, 18 hours and 100 hours of battery life are basically the same thing.

8. TheAtheistReverend

VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis

I agree. But to play devils advocate, if I use my phone HEAVILY I can require a charge halfway through the day. Ok, so maybe I'll still make it most of the way through the day unless I was in a very low signal area. But it would be nice to never, never need to charge during the day. But that is why a have car chargers, USB chargers, solar chargers, etc. not to mention extra batteries cheap too.

9. ericmtnbkr

ericmtnbkr Member
    None

Jan 3, 2012
    Railcar Design Engineer
    Portland, OR
    I was expecting less battery life when compared to my old non-smartphone, just not this much of a drop off. And I hear what you are saying, what's so bad with having to charge it every night or every other night.

I never looked at any reviews or specs for this phone before I bought it, it was free and it's hard to argue with free. So I guess I came into the situation not knowing the full story. Has anybody ever looked at how this phone performs in the real world compared to HTC's battery life claims?

I enjoy hiking, camping, mountain and road biking so I was hoping this phone could double as a GPS device. It will, I just may have to temper my expectations about how long of a hike or ride it will be good for. I guess that's why companies also make dedicated GPS devices.

All in all I'm happy with the phone and that's what matters most.

10. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    I never get a phone thinking I'm going to get what the Manufacturer claims you can get. They get their numbers from optimal lab created conditions. If I get 1/2 to 3/4 the amount of time a manufacturer claims I'm doing good. The biggest cause of battery drain is poor signal. You may see a significant drop in battery life depending on how remote your hiking trips are. Keep an eye on your signal strength while hiking.

11. TheAtheistReverend

VIP Member
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    EMT
    Minneapolis

I have used a GPS tracking app before with airplane mode on then turning GPS back on and tracked my movement to plot on a map later if that is something you want to do. Otherwise I think there must be a way to preload maps, isn't there?

ericmtnbkr likes this.
  12. valorian

valorian Android Expert
    None

Feb 15, 2011
    Male
    Northern Illinois
    I think I read somewhere that Google maps can Cache maps locations now.

TheAtheistReverend likes this.
  13. cmybliss

cmybliss Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 20, 2010
    The Abarat

In maps- settings-labs-precache map area.

I have a battery powered charger that runs on 4 AA that I take along with me when I go camping, or am going to be away from a charger for a while. It has interchangeable tips, so works for all my hand held devices.