1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Only in LA!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by MoodyBlues, Sep 2, 2020.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

When I heard reports of a man in a jetpack flying in the air space of LAX, I immediately said 'only in LA!'

Later, when I read reports from Air Traffic Control, guess what one of them said when an incoming pilot told him about the jetpack man? Yep! "Only in LA."

On KTLA's morning news yesterday, one anchor said, 'come on, Elon [Musk], we know it was you. Call us and come clean,' or words to that effect.

I love my hometown. :D

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Steven58

I read that in the news, yesterday. I'd have to say "not smart, flyboy!"

Deleted User and MoodyBlues like this.
  3. MoodyBlues

I know! Downright stupid, if you ask me--and dangerous. Those are commercial jets landing at LAX. A sudden evasive move could be catastrophic.

I hope the imbecile is caught soon.

But it does make a funny 'only in LA' story.

Deleted User likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

I follow aviation incidents and noticed this earlier today, but hadn't watched it until now.
    That could have been catastrophic considering what bird strikes can do. Bet he/she is never caught until someone divulges years later. :rolleyes:

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

That will surely depend on how much effort is put into tracing them. After all, there aren't a lot of jetpacks out there, so the list of people with access to one cannot be that long. This isn't like some idiot flying a drone near an airport.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Sure, possibly. If that happened around Dublin Airport you would find them. L.A. ? Depends how much resource goes in to searching. Light general aviation planes get a slapped wrist if they stray or don't respond. Such a busy terminal airspace with many airfields, the attitude from air traffic control could be that's not gonna happen again and everyone's safe.
    I haven't seen the news reports so don't know what the police are putting in to it.
    Dash cams and CCTV may help though.

ocnbrze and MoodyBlues like this.
  7. MoodyBlues

Elsewhere? I'd agree. But as I was watching one news report on it, they were showing footage from Jetpack LA or Jetpack California [sorry, I'm too lazy to look it up right now]. It's apparently like a skydiving company, only with jetpacks.

Even so, their records [and other similar companies'] could shed light on Mr LAX Jetpack Idiot. :rolleyes:

Hadron and Deleted User like this.
  8. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

He's probably just warming up for his Area 51 flyover. ;)

I miss the '70s when all we had were streakers running naked through a ball game.

Dngrsone, ocnbrze, olbriar and 2 others like this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

MoodyBlues and ocnbrze like this.
  10. MoodyBlues

And the Academy Awards! Who can ever forget elegant, eloquent David Niven, not missing a beat as a naked man streaked across the stage behind him, pointing out the man's...um...shortcomings? :eek:

Those were the days!

dontpanicbobby and lunatic59 like this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Sorry to flog an already expiring horse, but this guy is the best at factual analysis and he just posted this:

ocnbrze, MoodyBlues and lunatic59 like this.
  12. MoodyBlues

In case anyone's wondering, but doesn't want to watch the video, it does NOT deny that this really happened, or anything like that. It just explains how air space around a major airport, specifically LAX, works, and which violations jetpack man may have committed.

ocnbrze and Deleted User like this.
  13. no one

no one Android Expert

It was just an extremely rare weather pattern.
    Nothing to see here.
    Move along.

................HEY YOU!!!! Move along!

14. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

so i just recently saw this youtube video about the garvity jetpack:

and then i saw this as well:

i wonder if it was this guy or not?

#14 ocnbrze, Sep 2, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  15. MoodyBlues

The more I think about it, the more I think SOMEONE had to see him when he landed, and when he got into a car--perhaps taking time to remove the jetpack first. It's LAX, not some remote airport. Even with COVID, there had to be people around.

Apparently, he was flying several miles from the airport. Maybe surveillance cameras on businesses, or doorbell cameras on houses, caught his takeoff/landing/escape in a vehicle.

I know LAX really well. Its densely populated [with businesses and residences] surroundings would make being seen almost guaranteed. I think it's just a matter of time before we see video. Someone could have footage and not even know yet.

ocnbrze and Deleted User like this.
  16. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Mexican/Phipino fusion.

17. MoodyBlues

Is that a new way to spell Filipino? :thinking:

dontpanicbobby, ocnbrze and maire5 like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Dear God I hope those Gravity things never take off (unavoidable pun) for general use.

#18 Deleted User, Sep 3, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2020
    ocnbrze likes this.
  19. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

what? i'm down to be Iron Man for one day!!!!!!!!:cool:

Deleted User likes this.
  20. mikedt

mikedt 你好

How come they didn't shut down the airport? Gatwick Airport(a major London airport) was shut-down for 24 hours with all flights cancelled, because of reports of a drone flying around in their air space.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754

Presumably someone in a jet-pack is going to be more obvious than a rogue DJI Mavic or something?

#20 mikedt, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  21. MoodyBlues

My guess is that he was far enough away that it didn't warrant a shutdown.

Note that I'm ambivalent about saying that, because if he was close enough for incoming pilots to see...but then again, I'm no aviation expert.

mikedt likes this.
  22. MoodyBlues

So...the feds are on it now--the FBI is involved. Uh-oh, Mr Jetpack Man! :eek:

23. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

It's been quiet for awhile in LA @MoodyBlues. Is it the smoke?

24. MoodyBlues

Like bees? :thinking:

Here in Arcadia, it's always quiet. My mom was fond of saying, "it's so quiet...it's like a cemetery around here..."

As for LA proper, the bad air quality has definitely affected everyday life. Its basin shape traps smog, hence its storied bad air quality. People have been warned not to exercise, or even go, outside due to the smoke. It has subsided, but it's still bad.

My cousin and I--who will never see 60 again--have been reminiscing about the old days, the '60s, with its terrible smog. We haven't seen anything this bad in decades. Even so, it's not as bad as it could be: a few days ago, Portland [Oregon] had the worst air quality of any major city in the world.

dontpanicbobby, olbriar and PitCarver like this.