1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Only PowerAmp plays WMA files & sees artist names. Any alternatives?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by RazzMaTazz, Mar 3, 2011.

1. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Does anybody know of a free player app that can correctly handle all unprotected WMA files?

The stock Android music player, and all of the other music players that I have tried (like Mortplayer, WinAmp, RockPlayer, DoubleTwist, & Meridian) can't play all WMA files, even though those files are unprotected (no DRM) and are compressed to around 192kbps. Most Android music player apps seem to play the WMA files that I encoded with Windows Media Player (at around 192kbps VBR), but not all of the ones that I've purchased online (at around 192kbps VBR). I think it depends on the encoder. PowerAmp is the only Android media player app that I have found that will play all of my WMA files.

Similarly, most Android music player applications don't read the Artist name from the ID3 tags of some WMA files. PowerAmp is the only Android media player app that I have found that correctly reads the Artist name in the ID3 tag of all of my WMA files.

Unfortunately, PowerAmp is $4.99, which is a bit expensive. But it's a lot cheaper and easier for me to spend $4.99 than to re-purchase the WMA songs which can't be played, so Power Amp will likely be my first Android Market purchase (after the free trial period). PowerAmp has a nice UI, and bunch of other nice features, like a graphic equalizer, which also make it easierto justify the purchase. But I'd like to find a free (or cheaper) alternative that can correclty handle all of my WMA files.

As a side note, it seems that both of these issues are Android 2.2 bugs, and that most music players applications rely upon Android's codecs and system functions. I guess PowerAmp has developed their own codecs and libraries which workaround the Android OS problems. However, even from inside PowerAmp, if you select "Library", PowerAmp warns you that "Library" uses Android's system functions. Consequently, in "Library" mode, the Artist names appear as "unknown", whereas they are displayed properly in PowerAmp's "Folder" mode. I hope the Android team fixed these issues in Gingerbread, since LG said that they'd release Gingerbread for my Optimus S.

Advertisement

PoisonJam likes this.
  2. PoisonJam

PoisonJam Newbie
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Just wanted to say this issue was making me consider rolling back to 2.1. Someone referred me to this post and I've just installed the trial and it's working perfectly. :) I have to navigate artists and albums in folder view but that's good enough for me. Thanks!

3. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    I was dissatisfied with PowerAmp because its output volume was too low, so I ended up solving my WMA problem for free by using BoomBoxoid & ID3 Fixer.