• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OP2 Launch - "We Messed Up"

confed

Android Expert
Apr 9, 2011
Philly
http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/09/10/oneplus-we-messed-up-oneplus-2-launch/

Here is a quote from the article:

OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei issued an apology on Thursday. “We messed up the launch of the OnePlus 2. Well, we messed up the launch of the OnePlus One as well,” Pei said, adding that the company blamed itself on being young for the first mishaps.

“With the OnePlus 2, we made rosy plans,” Pei added. “We were more confident, and prepared a lot more inventory. We told our users it would be 30-50x easier to get invites, and they needn’t worry. Yet, we only began shipping in meaningful quantities this week, nearly a month after our initial targeted shipping date. You can talk all you want, but in the end, flawless execution speaks much louder than unfulfilled promises.”

Well, they are not getting any points from me for stating the obvious. Their last chance to keep me interested is the next phone, which should be out before Christmas. From what I have seen, they will not commit to saying it will have better specs than the OP2. The only commitment I have seen is that it will not be called the OP3. If they are able to prove that they are learning from their mistakes by having a successful launch without the constant, numerous letdowns at release time, then I might give them a shot when I need a newer phone.

Their customer service is a whole different story but I have been lucky enough to not need them for the 2 purchases I have made. I hope they can work on the logistical and service aspect of their company. That is the only way for them to survive until at least the end of next year.

“With the OnePlus 2, we made rosy plans,” Pei added. “We were more confident, and prepared a lot more inventory. We told our users it would be 30-50x easier to get invites, and they needn’t worry. Yet, we only began shipping in meaningful quantities this week, nearly a month after our initial targeted shipping date. You can talk all you want, but in the end, flawless execution speaks much louder than unfulfilled promises.”

Probably got a huge warehouse in Hong Kong full of them, that they can't shift. Which probably one of the worse things that can happen to a small company, being stuck with a huge unsold inventory of their only product. OnePlus doesn't have have their own factory or workforce as such, they're made by Oppo.

China phones, there's a heck of a lot of competition, and I have an idea that Doogee might have crashed now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones