• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Open Home?

I've really liked Pandahome... like the dockbars that can be used no matter what other screen you are on.. plus you can use themes from several of the of the other home apps.. haven't noticed any lag and can't recall having it ever force close on me in the few months that I've had it. I've used a couple of the other free home apps and they work well also.. I just started with Pandahome 'cause it seemed to have the most features and most free themes to go with it.. plus it's free to start. But then again.. whats $5 or so for something that completely changes the look and feel of your phone.

@martonic- there is an app called "home switcher" that allows you to change between any home apps that you have installed with just two clicks.. I use it to change back and forth fairly often.. almost like having multiple phones.. you can set up your different home apps and change back and forth depending on where you are what you're doing etc... plus if you pay extra for "locale" (I have not) I'm sure you could have it automatically switch you back and forth depending on the situation.

Upvote 0
After using openhome for three days and reading all of these rave reviews, I decided to try pandahome. Don't like it. It was laggy on my phone and crashed a few times. Don't know why but it didn't run well. This is over two hours by the way. I also didn't like that I lost the cool ass clock and weather widget that comes in openhome.

Upvote 0
I think some of it comes down to themes as well. GDE has a really nice "White HTC" theme if running around with a psuedo sense UI floats your boat. I've become significantly more interested in learning MetaMorph, but development of those themes has left us in the dust with 2.1. OpenHome, Pandahome, GDE, and so on offer a very easy and intuitive way to make your phone look a little bit more unique. Everyone will probably have some problems or issues with all of them, but in my time using OpenHome it's been great.

Upvote 0
Yea, with GDE I might get one or two times in a week where when I wake my phone up the home screen is just black, which means it's re-loading GDE. *It crashes every once in awhile*

Other than that, I can't say I regret buying it in the least. I love it so far, and the application docks are an irreplaceable tool to me now. I just think it's cool I can slap 1-4 of those on my home screens to have as many apps as I want in them, although 1 per page is MORE than enough. I have 27 apps on my 4th page, it's still smooth scrolling and it never lags. Some themes though, I will say, create lag. I think it's with the semi-transparent pull up menu for your apps and settings though. Other than that, all transitions are silk smooth and are plenty appealing to the eye.

Then again, *yes once more*, this is coming from someone who has only used the stock, pandahome, and GDE home. I have no other experiences with the others like Dxtop and OpenHome. I WAS tempted to get Dxtop to kind of help prevent people from wanting to use my phone, it looked so confusing. Although, you can easily learn it from videos and whatnot. Don't really know what to say really, just kind of look up videos and reviews, and make a choice.

Oh, and the pseudo Sense UI stuff for GDE really doesn't look too much like it at all... I don't particularly favor the look of it anyway. I like the themes that really alter everything and make it funk-tastic looking.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if anyone has distinctly pointed this out, but under the "Open Home Settings" menu, there's is a checkbox for "Enable Persist Mode" that is supposed to make openhome react and scroll more efficiently. I turned it on for the first time yesterday, and so far my scrolling has been near flawless, and I haven't come across any negative side effects yet.:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones