1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Open source Evernote alternatives?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by pose, Apr 21, 2011.

1. pose

pose Newbie
    None

May 30, 2010
    Are there any open source Evernote alternatives? While I love the concept, I don't like the fact that my growing list of notes can be held hostage by a company's servers due to downtime, bankruptcy, etc. In a year or two of using Evenote it could be a rather huge loss of information.

I've checked several alternatives for Windows, but haven't been able to find one that would sync with Android. Any ideas on syncing notes between a PC and Android without relying on the cloud?

Advertisement

2. regression

regression Android Expert
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    If you install the desktop client, your notes exist locally (as well as the cloud). So if Evernote shut their doors now, you would still have your notes for the foreseeable future. You can also export your notes to html, (although you will loose some formatting).

Sorry, but I don't know the answer to your questions on syncing to your PC. I am sure someone else will have info.

3. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    I've been looking at Note apps. recently and the nearest I've found is Note Everything Pro. It doesn't sync with your desktop via the app, just that it backs up everything to the SD Card so you then use your favourite windows sync tool to backup to your PC. Not quite what you asked for but .....

It also saves notes as 'text' files rather than some unreadable format so you can get them into other apps. if needed. Again, not ideal but part way there.

I remember many many years ago people saying how 'computing' and 'computers' were getting so advanced that they'd soon be designing themselves, both hardware and software ...... :eek: Yet here we are still talking about being able to swap notes between applications and finding out that the manual process is still, probably, the easiest way forward ... Oh, and we're not all going to work in flying cars either ....:D

Dave

4. PattyFuss

PattyFuss Lurker
    None

Jul 27, 2010
    Office Manager
    Indiana
    What about Catch notes? Used to be called 3 bananas. You can access it online & on your android & back it up as text files to your SD card. I could be way off the mark though of what you are looking for. I like it for short notes to myself.

5. pose

pose Newbie
    None

May 30, 2010
    None of the proposed options are open source, which was in the topic title..

Good point about Evernote being able to export, so I guess I'll stick with them and trust that they don't do a Sony with my data.

6. Sideway

Sideway Newbie
    None

Apr 21, 2011
    Taiwan
    It's not open source, but I use Epistle with Dropbox to sync my notes.

7. davidchsw

davidchsw Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 27, 2009
    When I had a Windows Mobile phone I used a note program called Phat Notes from Phat Ware Corporation. There was a desktop version that the phone was backed up to. This was the best note program I have ever seen. They are supposedly going to make an Android version.

David

8. markbolinger

markbolinger Lurker
    None

Jun 30, 2011
  9. NateTut

NateTut Lurker
    None

Nov 4, 2010
    FYI Catch is no more (as of 8/30/13). I'm here looking for an alternative to it.

10. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    What about an open-source desktop Evernote client?
    NixNote | Free software downloads at SourceForge.net
    Not only will it keep local notes synchronized with what's on the server so when Evernote Inc. goes rogue you can just export your notes, but it's open-source and purportedly runs on any OS that can run Java. In practice I've found running it in Windows to be somewhat difficult but it runs easily in Linux.

Otherwise, what about using whatever cloud synchronization app you want and plain text files? The only problem with that is it's inconvenient with things not being integrated.

saptech likes this.
  11. saptech

saptech Android Expert

NixNote is what I use with Mageia Linux 3. I've had no problems running it. It syncs with my phone & tablet when I add something to it.