1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

OpenGL ES 2, how to send float attributes to fragment shader

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by McCloud, Oct 13, 2014.

1. McCloud

McCloud Lurker

Hi There.

I am studying OpenGL ES 2. The reason for this version is that there are still lots of devices that can't support v.3, and I want my game to be compatible with most devices, while being able to make use of some nice accelerated effects in it.

So, my question is: I have managed to send a float attribute to the vertex shader, by using an attribute location and a FloatBuffer only with attributes data.

Let's say that I want to send an alpha value to this attribute, and send it again from the vertex shader to the fragment shader, since I want to use this alpha value in each fragment.

Then in my animation thread, I update this alpha value, and when rendering, I update the FloatBuffer, bind the new value and so on...

The problem is... It seems the only way to send my alpha attribute to the fragment shader is through a varying float. But I don't want this value to be interpolated per vertex, what is, indeed, happening (and from my value to zero). If I try to declare and use a simple float variable in both shaders, or use in out float variables, the 1.2 shader version don't accept it. The 1.2 version also does not have a flat modifier.

I searched a lot already, but the only ways I found were by using some extension or v.3, and it does not solves the problem, once the said extension is never guaranteed to exist in many devices, and I don't want to use v.3, then...

How to make it work? Thank you very much.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. McCloud

McCloud Lurker

Okay, folks, sorry for the trouble, but I just found the solution...

It may seem quite obvious, but, considering the research I did, many many people have the same doubt!

PLUS it is NOT OBVIOUS since I'll get an uniform into the vertex shader, but I'll declare a varying variable to send the value from the vertex shader to the fragment shader. Since it's source is a uniform, it's value will NOT be interpolated!

Well, Instead of passing an attribute, I passed an uniform, just like this:

[HIGH]
    // Java:
    private static final String U_ALPHA = "u_Alpha";
    int uAlphaLocation = GLES20.glGetUniformLocation(textureProgram.getProgram(), U_ALPHA);
    // While binding the value:
    GLES20.glUniform1f(uAlphaLocation, alpha);

// Vertex Shader:
    #version 120

uniform float u_Alpha; // input from Java - UNIFORM
    varying float v_Alpha; // output to fragment shader

void main()
    {
    v_Alpha = u_Alpha; // sending the value to the fragment shader
    // ...
    }

// Fragment Shader: