1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Opening Gmail attachments in Google Docs

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by bobthewibble, Feb 19, 2011.

1. bobthewibble

bobthewibble Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    UK
    Gmail on a browser have had the ability to open attachments in Google Docs for some time now. I've just got my first android phone and can't figure out if this is possible from the gmail app, it seems crazy if it isn't. I only have the option to open them in the various phone doc apps.

Is there a way to do this, from the gmail app or even the default mail app?

Advertisement

2. BookLover

BookLover Android Expert
    None

Oct 11, 2010
    USA
    The gmail app is an app so relies on other apps to open files.

If you view your gmail from your phone's browser then it would behave as it does on your computer's browser and open google docs on the browser.

But if you open your gmail from the gmail app, you'll need to install an app to open the google docs document on the phone.

3. bobthewibble

bobthewibble Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    UK
    Thanks for that. I guess that's my question, I can't find any apps that do that. I'm amazed it's not a built in function given Google's plans are to push OS/doc integration.

Does anyone know of apps that make an attachment open in google docs rather than on the device itself?

4. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    I don't know of any apps that will make it happen, but I just flashed the UltimateDroid ROM on my Droid, and it contains no apps for viewing MS Office files. With no such app installed, the Gmail app opened an attached Word document in Google Docs via the browser. It might be possible to get the desired behavior by removing the apps that are handling files locally, but if they're preinstalled you'll have to root to do it.

5. bobthewibble

bobthewibble Lurker
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    UK
    wow, that is interesting, I'll see what happens with that, it would be great! Thank you!