• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opening .mobi files in Kindle for Android

https://market.android.com/details?...GwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5jaGFvemguaVJlYWRlckZyZWUiXQ..

this is the only ireader i can find.
looks to me like it's for reading chinese books, is this the same app you're talking about?

Maybe you found the Chinese version ;)

I use this version ...
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.chaozh.iReader

For .mobi eBooks I prefer iReader or the Kindle app because they show pictures in eBooks.
Cool Reader shows only the text without the pictures in an eBook of me.

EDIT: For very big .mobi files (I have a 15 MB .mobi) I haven't found an other Android reader than the Kindle app to read this file.

Harry

Upvote 0
I used the Linux version of Calibre app, to place a PDF converted to mobi into the Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder of my HTC Desire, with a cover .jpg in the covers folder there too.
The conversion isnt great but its ok, after the Contents Pages, which have loads of unprintable characters.

Why don't you read PDF's directly with the Kindle app?

Harry

Upvote 0
OK I've tried a few of these solutions but it still doesn't seem to work. I am a Mac user and just got a new Motorola Atrix 2. I have quite a few .mobi and .epub files on my computer that I would like to read on my phone. What's the best way to go about this? Do I transfer the files to my phone via the USB cable? What type of USB connection should I be selecting and where exactly should I put them? From what I gather, there isn't an app that can read both types of files but I wouldn't mind using two different apps to get this accomplished.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
I downloaded a couple free books to Kindle android app, where do they go? I have a Kindle folder with nothing in it, and a kindle folder in android/data with .prc and .mbp files. Which folder to drop .mobi files (should I download any)?

You should drop the .mobi files in the folder 'kindle' on the SD card. This is the "import" folder.
They'll appear in the Kindle app's book shelf :)

The eBooks which you downloaded from Kindle/Amazon are in /Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/ ...

Harry

Upvote 0
OK I've tried a few of these solutions but it still doesn't seem to work. I am a Mac user and just got a new Motorola Atrix 2. I have quite a few .mobi and .epub files on my computer that I would like to read on my phone. What's the best way to go about this? Do I transfer the files to my phone via the USB cable? What type of USB connection should I be selecting and where exactly should I put them? From what I gather, there isn't an app that can read both types of files but I wouldn't mind using two different apps to get this accomplished.

Thanks for your help.

Via USB cable, the phone as disk drive (for the Mac it's like an USB stick).

At the phone's SD card create a folder for the books and name this folder as you like :)

For the read .mobi 'iReader' is my favorite. But for very big .mobi files I have to use the Kindle app. It's the only .mobi reader which can handle very big .mobi files.

For to read .ePub I like 'Mantano Reader' because the app is also a very good read reader for PDF eBooks.
But Aldiko is the best reader for .ePub. Aldiko can also read PDF.

Harry

Upvote 0
You should drop the .mobi files in the folder 'kindle' on the SD card. This is the "import" folder.
They'll appear in the Kindle app's book shelf :)

The eBooks which you downloaded from Kindle/Amazon are in /Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/ ...

Harry

I SEARCHED for a Kindle folder....Don't have one. My folder is called eBooks, on my SD card. So after trying a thousand different folders......I figured it out. Go Me. Thanks, because you pointed in the right direction. =)

Upvote 0
I found a perfect way to solve this problem just using the Kindle app!
1.Download Kindle app and sign in.
2.Menu-Setting, you can see "Send-to-Kindle E-mail Address, *****@kindle.com"
3.Go to amazon.com-Manage Your Kindle-Personal Document Settings-Approved Personal Document E-mail List-Add a new approved e-mail address.
3.Just send you .mobi as a attachment to this E-mail by the Approved email.
4.Open kindle on Android, menu-sync, wait a moment, you will see what you need.
Good luck!

Upvote 0
Try to download/put the .mobi files on SD card in the following folder (not in Kindle folder):
.../Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files

Then open the Kindle application, and you will find it there (at least, I did).
The Kindle aplication will convert it automatically (in the background) from .mobi to .mbp and next time you go into that folder you will find 2 files for your book, one .mobi and one .mbp

I have an old GalaxyTab tablet with Android 2.3 (I think) and the Kindle application downloaded from GooglePlay, and it worked for me.

I have a question myself: the colors in the .mobi ebook opened with the Kindle aplication are wrong: blue is red, red is blue (for letters. I programed the colors in the .mobi file with Sigil/html tags). Other colors in pictures/images are bluish. However, green and fuschia letters are coming out OK. Any sugestions how to make it work properly?

Upvote 0
fwiw, you can now also log into your amazon account, then go to "Manage My Kindle" and create an email address for your device(s)

Once done, you can then email a variety of document formats including mobi and azw files to that address, and, if necessary, they will be converted and will become available for download via the kindle delivery system.

Hope that this information is of value.
Beverly Howard

Upvote 0
Been looking at aldiko since when you search for a reader that will read .mobi format it comes up. However I see this is now a cheat and it comes up because it mentions using calibre to change the file type. While I have calibre I really dont feel like changing all my books across to another format

Upvote 0
the thing is.. you have to put all your books/files into that one folder.
you can not use sub-folders for each book..

i am going to try other readers and see which give me more reasonable access. cool reader shows good promise

I tried them all and liked moon reader best, even bought the pro version when I saw it was on sale which is really nice because you can just put books in to your dropbox and access them directly through moon reader

Upvote 0
There is even an easier option. In Dropbox, when you click "export" there is a button on Android that sais "send to kindle". You can then choose to which devices it should be synchronized, and the stuff gets uploaded somewhere. You have to choose "Synchronize" once to really see the books then, but you are done.
This looks like Amazon allows to do this and has even implemented it.
Surprisingly not dongled down to insanity, chapeau, Jeff Bezos

Reactions: waltD
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones