• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

opening pdf files in web browser

moveright

Sep 10, 2010
ok, just got a droid 2 yesterday. AWESOME device.

Question though, I can open pdf files that are attached to emails however, if I am browsing a website and there is a pdf file hyperlinked, when I click on the link it says it is downloading for a second then, nothing happens. so I click the down arrow in the notification bar and it always says "download unsuccessful".

what gives? How can I view pdf files which are linked in web pages? I would prefer to be able to view them without downloading them and opening.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies. Anyone on the Samsung Droid Charge that can see if this works for them? I tried both the native browser and the Dolphin browser. My phone comes with ThinkFree Office (which contains a pdf reader). I also tried the Adobe Reader app. Neither work.

The website again is http://stats.liahl.org/display-schedule.php?team=788&season=19&tlev=0&tseq=0&leag ue=1 and click on one of the "scoresheet" links (a pdf document link). Nothing happens for me. Thanks.

Upvote 0
I just got my HTC Inspire - created a PDF, gave it to my web guy to to upload into our web site - created a QR Code for the PDF.... My phone scans it - and finds the URL, but then it will not open or download the file...just get a blank screen. Tried it on a Android Atrix and a Droid - none of them work....yet you can email the link to gmail and click on it and it downloads and works at that point... seriously perplexed and frustrated..thoughts.... waiting for a friend to IPhone it....

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem on my Samsung galaxy s 2 when I figured out how to open PDF links in the browser. You just need a PDF reader and I used adobe. I went to my browser with link to pdf, pressed on the link until a menu of options popped up, press on save link. Once it finished I pulled the notifications tab down and pressed on the file and I opened it with adobe. You can also open it with quickoffice. Hope it works!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones